Permanent Jaw Reduction Surgery

Guest Candace16

Guest Candace16

I have a really square jaw and a big round face, so i look like a male 19.gif.

i've always considered getting jaw reduction surgery and i think it'll really boost my self-esteem. whenever i look in the mirror, all i can see are my big manly jaws.

i already know about the botox temporary one, but i want it permanent so i don't have to keep worrying about it.

has anyone on soompi ever gotten the surgery, or know someone who has? did it turn out well? i'm seriously considering getting the surgery after i graduate my senior year in high school.

for those of you who are not too familiar, here's a couple of pics:

20091226095717_3.jpg

20091226095717_2.jpg

20091009164212_1.jpg

20091009164212_2.jpg

20091009164212_3.jpg

photo01.jpg

photo02.jpg

photo03.jpg

5220492796_bfdd40e836.jpg

(you can tell she got her eyelids too lol)

you can see the rest here: http://eng.idhospita...ex.asp?cat_id=v

i'm not too sure about costs, but i emailed id-hospital (where the pictures are from) and they said that there are 2 different costs depending on what type of jaw surgery you want

for the "V-line mandible reduction" it costs 8.5 million KRW, which is about 7548 U.S. dollars.

for the "prominent mandible surgery" it costs 5.5 million KRW, which is about 4884 U.S. dollars

(personally, i don't think the $3k difference is worth it Red%20Hair%20(57).gif)

of course, cost also depends on what hospital you go to.

here's some info. i found about the surgery.

Everyday life: 

It is better to rest for two or three days after surgery, but it is possible to live a slight everyday life.

In about seven days after surgery, swelling is almost removed, enabling to go back to everyday life. 

It is recommended to avoid taking a severe exercise for about one month after surgery. 

In most cases, scar exist only inside of the mouth, so it is possible to wash the face and to take a shower immediately after surgery, and to put on makeup from the next day after surgery.

Swelling:

After surgery, the face of the patient is most often wound in bandage for about one or two days depending on the kinds of surgery.

As for the progress of swelling, it increases more for two or three days after surgery, but slowly decreases after then.In about one week, swelling decreases to the degree before surgery. In about two weeks after surgery, swelling decreases more to enable you to show the results of surgery and more natural appearance. Although there is a personal difference in decrease of swelling, it will take about two or three months. 

so basically, after 7 days you'll be able to go back to your regular life and the swelling will be almost completely gone. but for the entire swelling to go down, you'll have to wait about 2-3 months.

i'm thinking about going to korea for the surgery, because i don't think jaw surgery is that common in america as it is in korea. in korea, the doctors will have more experience (will know what will be good for you) because they've performed it so many times.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest katherine_

I would totally get that done... If it wasn't soo dangerous LOL I heard a girl got that done and ended up dying /: well she got it done twice that's probably why D:

Guest kikkie

Personally, I think you should wait until you're at least 19 or 20. Going to college changes a person a lot. People finish growing physically and mature mentally. Self-esteem goes up a lot. You're exposed to so many more ideas and views that it's impossible to not change.

If a year or two of college doesn't change your views, then you should go ahead.

Also, the case of the girl dying isn't something that's unique to jawline surgery. Death or injury is a risk associated with all surgery.

Edit: And quite honestly, I liked the girl's most of the people on the website's jawlines in the before photos much more than in the after photos.

Guest eats.colour

I think Hyun Bin got this done...and he was a lot better looking before he got surgery.

Whatever floats your boat! We don't know what you look like, but I think it's more satisfying when someone tells you that you look attractive and you haven't gotten surgery done. Of course, you don't have to tell anyone about it, but inside you'd konw that part of the reason they called you pretty could be because of the surgery.

Guest Pandarah

I think you should wait a bit longer. Personally I would love to have a more square jaw, I think it looks really nice.

If you're really unhappy maybe you should try losing some weight so it can be more defined/slimmer. Or maybe you should get a fringe/bangs and have the hair by your face layered or thinned so it can create the illusion of a slimmer jaw. I don't think resorting to surgery is necessary unless it really does damage your self-esteem.

Guest Candace16

I think you should wait a bit longer. Personally I would love to have a more square jaw, I think it looks really nice.

If you're really unhappy maybe you should try losing some weight so it can be more defined/slimmer. Or maybe you should get a fringe/bangs and have the hair by your face layered or thinned so it can create the illusion of a slimmer jaw. I don't think resorting to surgery is necessary unless it really does damage your self-esteem.

if i lose any more weight i'll have to be hospitalized and force-fed 

i already have a side fringe and my hair is already layered.

my jaw is naturally masculine.12a.gif

so is there anyone on soompi who got or knows someone who got the procedure done?

I've heard that it's really painful and that your jawbone will feel rough for the rest of your life. I don't know personally, but it's what I've heard.

Guest flyxme.

its quite dangerous...i would get it too, if it werent so risky

if you dont understand, theres translations somewhere in the comments

My right jaw is really square while my left jaw is softer.  I wish it weren't so apparent, but I don't plan to get jaw reduction surgery for it.  

I just feel like it's too easy to be discontent with my looks, especially since society's always telling us we're not pretty 'enough' when there is no 'perfection' to begin with.  When would it ever be 'enough'?  After I do my jaw, I might want to do my nose, my eyes, my cheeks.  I'll never stay content, I'll always want to change more if I don't learn to appreciate and accept my looks; jaw reduction surgery wouldn't do anything for me in the long run.  It's not like I'm not disfigured or the ugliest person in the world, so why do I HAVE to change what I have?  

Plus, if I'm not staring in the mirror a lot, my imperfections would hardly bother me lol.  It's other people who have to look at my face all the time anyway and they don't give a hoot.. hahah.

sorry, I'm not trying to preach to you or call plastic surgery evil or anything.  i just wanted to share my perspective.  you're so young!

Guest paperboat

I don't think having a sharp squarish jawline is that bad of a thing. I think it just depends. And to be honest, pretty much everyone that i know with a squarish jawline, looks good with it. I don't think the first girl (who looks like she got her nose done too) looks any more attractive with the surgery.. =/ And i prefer the last girl's 'before' face. Looks more defined and nice :) I personally think you should think about this again. is it really your jaw that is the problem that is bothering you? Any alternatives?

Guest prettyLOVEE

I mean if it'll help your self esteem then I'd go for it! It really makes you look a lot manlier. I had a friend who did it & it made a huge difference on her face.

Guest jessandjorge4ever

I have been thinking about this too and I am 20~ But after I saw the costs I was like wtf T__T like $40,000 ish?? Well I saw one person whose cost was that lol :( But really in the before after pictures there is not such a HUGE difference! Maybe you can think about bringing out other qualities like pretty eyes and stuff since jaw is not such a HUGE thing imo

EDIT: I looked at the rest of the picture son the link you left and some looked WORSE after =O But some looked much better! so idk if it is good gamble to do this >_>

Guest Candace16

I don't think having a sharp squarish jawline is that bad of a thing. I think it just depends. And to be honest, pretty much everyone that i know with a squarish jawline, looks good with it. I don't think the first girl (who looks like she got her nose done too) looks any more attractive with the surgery.. =/ And i prefer the last girl's 'before' face. Looks more defined and nice :) I personally think you should think about this again. is it really your jaw that is the problem that is bothering you? Any alternatives? 

that's just like someone with a small nose saying "having a large nose is not that bad" 9.gif

and if i looked good with manly jaws i wouldn't want surgery. even my friends tell me i look like a man lol

Man... if only surgery wasn't so expensive and risky. I often wish my law was much more oval, so I could have a v-line like BoA! I also have a square jawline and it makes my face look so angular! It's less noticeable when I smile, which is while I'm often smiling. My square jaw makes me look manly as well. ;/

Guest starzXshinee

Like many have said, you should wait a few years before you get the surgery just in case you change in your mind. If you do end up getting the surgery, please be safe!

I am in your position too. I have a square jaw with chubs around it. >.<

I would love to get surgery but the money and pain. >.> [and I am too young :sweatingbullets: ]

Many people say that the girls in your example pictures look better in the before picture, but I think that their surgery boosted up their self-esteem.

Because even after the surgery, I think they still look the same but with a smaller softer jaw. If their jaw was their only problem point, getting it fixed must have made them feel so much prettier and confident about themselves.

Guest hAppynote

Maybe you can try contouring your cheeks with makeup before you try something permanent that you'll regret in the future. I think right after high school is too soon, your body is still growing and your mentality might change. I've heard that people who get the surgery feels aches in their jaw whenever the weather's cold. A lot of the people in the website looked better before the surgery.. especially the first girl... I know a girl with quite a square jaw and I think she's so adorable and pretty just the way she is. IF she decided to get surgery, her unique charm would be taken away too.

Contouring with makeup:

Refer to this video at 2:09, the girl starts shading her jawline and cheek with a matte bronzer. I have Benefit Hoola bronzer that I use when I contour, but I've heard good things about NYC Sunny Bronzer found in drugstores.

Usually, people just put a line underneath their cheekbone and then they're done. However, if you start from your jawline and blend onto your cheek until you reach under your cheekbone, it slims the face more. Concentrate the color closer to your hairline so that it's darkest at the edges of your face, and lightest at the apples of your cheeks. Make sure you bring some color down onto your neck and by your ear so the contouring's not obvious. Use a fluffy brush, moving in small circular motions -- DON'T swipe back and forth across your cheek.

Hope that helps you.

Guest paperboat

that's just like someone with a small nose saying "having a large nose is not that bad" *quoted image*

and if i looked good with manly jaws i wouldn't want surgery. even my friends tell me i look like a man lol

Actually, i have a square jaw too! LOL!

If your friends tell you look like a man like seriously? Is your square jaw really pushing down your self-esteem that much? Consider the costs and benefits. Costs as in not only money wise but the pain you will go through and risks etc. If you really think its worth it for the benefits and that your face will change significantly and will make you much more happier, than go ahead, it's your life, your choice :) But like others have said, you're young now. As you mature, your perspective MAY change. I know mine did haha.

Guest lanziepanzie

My face is extremely round and wide and i previously was deeply considering mandible angle reduction. I'm quite hesitant though because they costs are quite dear and the recovery time in comparison to other facial surgeries. So i would suggest to definately wait a little while longer and if you havent already experiment with make up and hairstyles to see a slight change.

One thing as well, how do your teeth look? Do you have an over\underbite?

your jaw itself may not actually be large and manly but it may be due to the way your bite sits and the shape of your teeth.

im in my early 20's and i got braces a year and a half ago, and boy has my jaw changed alot since then. Before braces i had my heart set on having this surgery but now after i get my braces off it may be something i consider instead of having completely certain.

Having braces actually changed my jawline and i could see it has slimmed my face and jaw altogether, also when your teeth realign it reconstructs your jaw to sit more comfortably and nicely on your face and braces reduce the diameter of your teeth also if that makes sense

So maybe thats something that you can consider also, unless of course you have had braces already. but an overbite or an underbite and even the amount of teeth and the way they sit can change ALOT!

Guest laffly

I was going to make a thread on this! I am seriously considering this surgery. I've been looking all over the internet for more information, but I haven't found a good source for information. I know this surgery is more common in Asian countries such as Korea and China, but I really don't want to fly to another country to get it. I am considering only getting it if I can find a good doctor in California. OP, where do you want to get it done?

One of the things I'm worried about is having loose skin and tissues where the jawbone was cut, after the surgery. None of the websites I've read addressed this problem, so I really want to find out! I found a website where a lady had the surgery done and ended up with the loose skin problem. She asked on the website how she could fix the problem, and all the cosmetic surgeons that replied said that she could just get a lower half facelift to fix it. I'm still unsure though. OP, if you find out any information or if you do decide to go through with this, let us know. :)

Archived