Sunblock recommendations?

Guest SnowXrystal

Guest SnowXrystal

I have very sensitive skin and every sunscreen I used caused me to break out or get mad white heads. Notice I said sunscreen, I am now switching to sunblock. I want to prevent my skin from getting tanned and from the sun damaging my skin, so I believe sunblock better suits my preferences. So my question to you soompiers, is there a sunblock that worked for you and doesn't break out your skin and helped maintain your skin nice and pale looking? Thanks!

Guest legweak17

Anyong! ^^

I have really light skin as well; I use Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. It isn't oily at all, doesn't make me break out, and it gives good protection. I don't get burnt, and I keep my pale skin throughout summer ^^ I love it!

^I use the Neutrogena too. It's really good for a sunblock, but I find myself getting slightly oily after 3-4 hours. But I don't blame the sunblock. I think it's because I start using Shiseido sunblock 38SPF and the stuff is SO SO GOOD that it's hard to beat it :P It feels dry without being dry (just like how the neutrogena's one tries to do) and it controls the oil really well.

If you have sensitive skin, Jen from Frmheadtotoe once recommend Eucerin moisturizer and sunscreen and she said she has sensitive skin. You can try that, especially since it isn't so expensive it's worth a try :)

Guest yellow submarine

a lot of people like the Neutrogena dry touch sunscreen, but i think that will break you out. for sunblocks, you can try Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 60 and Clinique City Block Sheer SPF 25. they use physical blockers. but while these probably won't break you out, they are rather thick and goopy. you'd have to be willing to put up with that.

the Shiseido ones use a mix of physical and chemical blockers i think. not sure if that will sit well with your skin. i've never tried them but a lot of Asians like it.

I guess I'm in the minority against using Neutrogena dry touch sunblock. I have sensitive skin and I eventually got allergic to the product (stung everytime I put it on due to high alcohol content). I know Shiseido's suncreams also get raves, but I don't like that either, just because my skin is dehydrated and I feel it is too drying for me. It's splendid for oilier skin types though, as it is mattifying.

I can vouch for the Eucerin SPF 30 moisturizer being gentle as I currently use it during the day. It leaves a bit of a white cast, so you'll have to rub it in well. I'm also using First Aid Beauty (available at Sephora) 5 in 1 Face Cream SPF 30, and it's gentle as well and doesn't leave a white cast. Both of these products work really well for me.

(I'm a bit suncare obsessed so I have tried numerous sunscreens around the block ^^)

Guest xjUnebUgs

Hi there :)

I use clinique's city block in SPF 40. It's oil free which is perfect for me acne prone skin *cries*. In fact it's the only sunblock I trust with my face. I'm VERY fair so every little pimple shows a lot. And with the city block, I know I won't get pimples because of it. Hope this helps!

I would recommend any Japanese liquid/milk sunblock (SunPlay from Mentholatum is an affordable line). If you're in the US, Neutrogena is the only American brand I've seen so far to release liquid sunblock (They have the Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock in SPF 55 and SPF 70 formulations; The SPF 55 version is hard to find now for some reason). It has that same smell I hated from the Ultra Sheer Dry Touch line, but the smell completely fades after half an hour or so. I would highly recommend it, as it goes on invisible (not cast whatsoever). However, I get really oily after 2 hours or so, but it could just be me.

Guest phalken

I have oily and sensitive skin so I only use liquid sunblock on my face rather than cream. Except for in the summer, I just use my BB cream as my sublock-- BRTC gold cavier has SPF50. But on days I don't want to wear heavy makeup or in the summer when I need extra sun protecting, I use Shiseido's Anessa facial sunscreen. I'm not exactly sure what difference you're pointing out with sunscreen and sunblock (does the first allow you to tan and the latter doesn't?) Anessa is very watery and mattifying, and is skin-tone tinted. The bottle is really small so it may seem rather pricey, but it also does last a long time because of how runny it is --> easy to spread --> not needing much per use. As far as I've noticed, I don't tan when I wear this sunscreen, and it hasn't broken me out.

• 3 years later...
Guest BlockIslandOrganics

I'd of course recommend my companies sunblock: Block Island Organics.
But in general look for a sunscreen were the "Active Ingredients" are zinc and/or titanium as well as one labeled broad spectrum.  In particular you might want to try a zinc only product like our Baby Block SPF 30 as zinc is the most gentle UV blocker out there.  For sensitive skin an all zinc product is really the way to go.

I've used the Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 100 before and besides making my face appear a lot lighter [due to the reflected sunlight], I never even noticed how good it was until this summer. Back when I attended university, I don't even go out much during the summers other than work and stuff, but this summer I did a lot of traveling and decided to use my BB cream as a substitute, and holy cow!!! I've gotten soo much darker this summer ;'( When I had the Neutrogena sunblock I've only used it a few times here and there, heck it even expired before I used 1/5 of the bottle, so I thought it was a waste and never repurchased another one. I am definitely going to repurchase more of the Neutrogena sunblock again :)

I think another poster had mention before that sunblock reflects off sunlight protecting the skin from UVB and UVA rays, being more effective from protection against tanning, versus sunscreen prevents you from burning by filtering out UV rays but still allowing you to tan.

Archived