effects of anti-aging creams on young skin?

racheln

whats the right age?
soooo for christmas my brother got me anti-wrinkle night cream which is nice but .. im 16 lol. i was wondering if using it would have any negative effect on my skin? i also have some acne and my skin can get quite oily as well so i'm kind of nervous about using it.

also, what would be the right age to start using anti-aging cream? i think i remember Michelle Phan saying she started using it at 13?

Guest ovovoovo

Most anti-aging creams are BS so they probably won't have any effects other than moisturizing your skin. If you have acne, your best bet is not to use it as most of the anti-aging creams are unnecessarily scented and thick in texture.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Most anti-aging creams are BS so they probably won't have any effects other than moisturizing your skin. If you have acne, your best bet is not to use it as most of the anti-aging creams are unnecessarily scented and thick in texture.

Except that most probably also contain chemicals that are just never necessary to be layering on your skin.

OP, if you have acne and oily skin, chances are throwing on pointless creams is NOT going to help. I don't understand why he got you anti-aging cream, of all things.

• 1 month later...
Guest jewleea

I also agree with what the other people said.

But I read somewhere that its bad to use anti aging products when you're young because it will actually make your skin build an immunity to the anti aging products and will stop producing its own collagen after a certain period of time. But I'm not even sure that's true -shrug-

I've used and am still using the top of the line products from cosmetic and skincare companies and those are usually the "anti-aging" lines.

I've never really experienced any bad effects except for Estee Lauder's advanced night repair causing breakouts for me. I usually love the effect it has, or encounter a product that just doesn't do anything other than moisturize.

I just go with the saying, "If you like what it does to your skin, then keep using it." And I don't think your skin builds an immunity to ingredients, but if you reach a plateau where you want even more perfection or increased results, there are things you can do to vary up your routine like introducing a new serum or the latest product.

Guest michikosashimi

i've used some anti aging products ><

like anti wrinkles and things.

i'm not sure if i should use them or not.

but it makes my skin really nice.

and its hard not to use them because

all my skincare is from lancome and estee lauder.

My skin does a wonderful job at being resistant to products. Meaning I have to 'upgrade' it a lot of the times as they stop working, or switch brands a few months later to have them 'work'. I have tried it for years and only recently did my skin calm down and stuck to one.

So that is why I never used 'good ones' to start. I am 22, and still don't use anti aging. I use hydrating ones as I also have slightly oilier skin (good news, it takes a bit longer for fine lines to develop, therefore a bit less wrinkles). I think at your age you should focus more on hydrating and removing acne rather than anti-aging. As these creams can be used when you get a bit older when you don't have acne as a problem, and if you have skin like mine who develops resistance, use it when you get a bit older. I am thinking to start around 24/25 :) So u can give it a try, but if you don't find it as useful or giving break outs, then maybe a few years down the track is better.

Guest darkmist

I'm 21 and I've dabbled in a few anti-aging products either by sampling some of my mom's stuff or trying samples/mini sizes you get from department brands when they have the gift with purchase promos (usually lancome for me). I can't really say I've noticed much of a difference other than the creams feeling quite heavy on my skin and making me wake up to oilier skin. This is probably because as you get older, your skin becomes dryer and loses its elasticity which can lead to wrinkles and sagginess. To combat this, anti-aging creams are super rich and moisturizing and resultingly, don't really mesh with younger skin which is already firm and usually producing more than enough oil so I think people starting to use anti-aging creams at a really young age bs. If you're worried about sagginess/whatever or want to better care for your skin, I say you're better off eating healthier, drinking lots of water, exercising more and avoiding things like smoking and drinking. Cosmetically, you ca consider giving yourself weekly facial massages or using brightening and/or firming masks once in a while. OP, I highly doubt you need anti-aging creams as you're only 16. Enjoy your young supple skin!

Guest Dolce_love

Just moistruize, keep your skin from drying out thats the best thing you can do for your skin right now

Your skin wil age naturally anyway

Guest Tofu_Cloud

it depends on what type of anti aging properties it has

if it contains AHA's becareful.. it make dry and peel your young skin

and definitatly at age 16 you shouldnt be wearing a Retinol cream since it makes your skin

sensitive and you wouldnt be able to wear it out in the sun cuz it could make your skin red.

JUSt like most products that are marketed to us, i seriously say don't mess with your pH level. Cuz i know when i was young my skin was fine.. and i kept thinking "oh i need to use this i need ot use that".. and i regretted it.

Guest .basic.

soooo for christmas my brother got me anti-wrinkle night cream which is nice but .. im 16 lol. i was wondering if using it would have any negative effect on my skin? i also have some acne and my skin can get quite oily as well so i'm kind of nervous about using it.

also, what would be the right age to start using anti-aging cream? i think i remember Michelle Phan saying she started using it at 13?

Don't listen to Michelle Phan. Seriously, I don't hate her but that girl tries to prove that it's ok to wear 10 skin care products in one night.

When you're only 16, I don't see why you need to start using anti-aging products. 16 is obviously when you hit puberty and of course get acne. Using anti-aging products is just going to make it worst.

I'm sorry, I'm not an expert of anything but I believe using anti-aging products at such a young age is a no no. I think the best age to start is around 21+ to prevent wrinkles in the future. I personally don't use it though and I'm 22.

Strange, for some reason I thought I had read that if you start taking really good care of your skin earlier, it'll make a difference when you're older. :unsure: But maybe "earlier" meant in your 20s, teens might be too soon?

^

^ Both AHAs and retinol can improve acne though, so it's not an absolute "don't use them until you're older" sort of thing. If you don't have any skin problems, then yeah you probably don't need to.

Honestly the best thing for you to do right now is probably moisturize like the other people said, then wear a sunscreen during the day.

At your age, it is important to maintain your skin via a good and healthy diet and great hygiene, because puberty normally leads to breakouts. You should cleanse, tone (if oily skin) and moisturize. The only concern and treatment you should add is more acne/blemishes because of puberty breakouts.

Anti-aging creams normally claim to increase skin turnover so your skin looks younger and all. But you're still really young and I doubt you need something that makes your skin cells turn over at a faster rate. It's actually a bit ridiculous to use anti-aging cream at your age. Even at mine (I'm 19 almost 20).

A quick explanation of skin turnover: You probably know the skin is consisted of three layers and the outer layer is the epidermis. Skin cells from the inner layer of the skin migrate slowly to the epidermis and as they do, they mature and end up dying ( thus the epidermis is like a layer of dead skin cells). So the fact that skin cells migrate from the inner to the outer layer of the skin is called skin turnover. I'm not too sure, but I think your epidermis is completely replaced by new skin cells every 2 months?

You probably don't need your skin to turnover faster than it is supposed to be because a) it makes the epidermis thinner hence an increase in sensitivity towards the sun rays, b ) a thinner epidermis can lead to more breakouts because bacterias and all can invade more easily and c) like I said, you are still young, I doubt your skin cells are slacking and not doing their jobs fast enough :P

Leave that cream to your mom or keep it there in a corner. If you skin is dull because of winter or what else, you need to moisturize more, not prevent wrinkles. If you still worry about wrinkles, eat antioxidant and drink lots of water. It's always more fun to eat healthy stuff than applying it on your face when those molecules are probably too big to be absorbed by your skin!

I've also thought about that. I mean if you are young, will you get old because of anti-aging creams? I honestly believe that young ones especially teen agers should only go for organic face treatments. That way no harmful chemicals can penetrate their youthful skin.

read up on Skinceuticals and their B5 moisturizer and C+E ferulic acid. that is some very good stuff and worth the money. if you want a really good sunscreen that is pretty much weightless look up Colorscience.

started using shiseido products at age 22, in an attempt to combat the effects of my drinking and smoking. 4 years later, still going, along with other brands. seems to help. if you really want to see results tho, drink lots of water, wash your face and moisturize every night, and if you can cut out smoking and drinking.

Guest xbamboo

^ Both AHAs and retinol can improve acne though, so it's not an absolute "don't use them until you're older" sort of thing. If you don't have any skin problems, then yeah you probably don't need to.

Honestly the best thing for you to do right now is probably moisturize like the other people said, then wear a sunscreen during the day.

Yup! I'm in my early 20s and recently began using ROC's Retinol Correction Deep-Wrinkle Night Cream to help with acne. I have oily skin that is relatively thick and prolonged use of retinol products helps to thin out the skin so that it's not as clogged and so other products (i.e. acne treatments) can be absorbed more effectively.

If you don't have major skin problems though I've heard that the age women should start looking into anti-aging products is around 24... as of now a healthy diet, lots of water, sleep, moisturizer, and sunscreen is the best you can do.

A lot of anti-aging creams are complete BS.

For example, when it comes to collagen and green tea (they're really common ingredients in anti-aging creams), the molecules are too large for your pores to absorb, so they'll just stay on your face until the next time you wash your face.

Also, I would like to point out that if you give you skin too much nourishment at a younger age, it will eventually adapt and adjust to it, and once you stop using it, your skin will start wrinkling even more because it will be drier than what it was used to--the extra nourishment coming from your eye creams. This will lead to premature wrinkling unless you keep on dishing out endless amounts of money for these creams.

But if you do insist on using the eye cream, I suggest you do it every once in a while, kinda like a refreshing mask to treat the skin around your eye area.

• 1 year later...
Guest mizswtifee

Like what everyone posted, anti-aging creams are heavier than normal creams. (So it might alter your skin balance). I don't think it is necessary for a young adult like you to use anti-aging. You should maybe regift it or return it and grab yourself a good sunscreen. Sunscreen will help minimize the your wrinkles and such.

Archived