Do guys get intimidated when a girl is "too pretty"?

Guest dangerbaby

Guest dangerbaby

Or girls when boys are too hot
I noticed that guys can be really friendly/open towards mediocre looking girls,

but then towards girls that I think are prettier they're more off standish?

Why is that?

I know girls are "really good at flirting" with guys they totally aren't interested in.

lol

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peppermintsugar

Looks don't intimidate me personally, social status does more, from what I've personally encountered.

I consider myself pretty attractive, not drop dead gorgeous but not unattractive, so someone being better looking than me doesn't bother me, I've just accepted the fact that there are a lot of people in the world that are way more attractive, it's not something to feel down about. I have dated many men that were far more attractive than I am.

However, to elaborate on social status, the only time I have been nervous talking to a guy and asking him out was when I was at a concert and I asked the lead singer of the group if he would be interested in going out to get a drink with me the next night (the drummer of the group had asked my friend out so she asked if I would be interested in double dating). He's a celebrity, so he's always surrounded by and talking to girls that are interested in him, so why would I think I'm anything to pay attention to? He more than likely talks to prettier, more interesting girls than me every single day.

He said yes, though. I'm sure he did it just to be nice, HAHA. It was fun.

As for your observations, I do think it's normal to feel that way -- intimidated by looks. Obviously you won't be that scared to talk to someone if you don't see them above you in any way.

Some girls flirt just because they like the attention, with no interest in anything beyond that, and sometimes girls don't notice that they're being flirtatious. Basically, there are a lot of different reasons that people could act like this.

I noticed that guys can be really friendly/open towards mediocre looking girls,

we don't have to worry about accidentally being awkward or messing up in the things we do or say.

but then towards girls that I think are prettier they're more off standish?

usually when i see a pretty girl, i assume she's either taken or has high standards. i know this kind of thinking is wrong but then again, i think it's more of a self-esteem/confidence issue that makes one hesitant in trying to approach a pretty girl. where do you think the phrase "she's out of my league" comes from?

I know girls are "really good at flirting" with guys they totally aren't interested in. lol

lol indeed. this confirms a suspicion i had the other night :lol:

(if it's too good to be true....) :ph34r:

personally i don't think i will be affected. however, i haven't come across anyone that i thought was REALLY hot yet, so idk.

but theres a few somewhat good looking guys i know, and i talk to the ones that are friendly and ignore the ones that are cocky <_< .

I don't get intimitated but less friendly? yes. WHy? I usually think their fake(I'm not talking about plastic but personality) or little sluts. I feel like when girls who are "too pretty" is talking to you there is some kind of intent behind it and not just for the sake of hanging out or what not. They're like parasite in for the looks, money, life style, etc... and if they don't find what they're looking for, they give you the cold shrug... It's like holy mini cooper one day you get a warm friendly greeting and the next not a second look. Obviously this is not true for everyone who is "too pretty". also really depends on standards too. Someone "too pretty" is not my perception of "too pretty" and my standards are pretty high. Maybe my standards are higher than what I am so I deserve what I'm getting? I don't know... I just act the same way though a "too pretty" girl will be in my peripheral vision at best, unless I know they're not what I mentioned.

Guest DREAMiiNG

I tend to feel slightly intimidated when a guy is attractive because I feel...inferior? I have esteem issues, so I don't feel as though I'm up to par with them. I also generalize that their standards are going to be exceptionally high based on how they appear. Yeah I know it's pretty bad.

Guest B L o T T - ii

i agree with peppermintsugar with the social status thing. It's not all about looks fro me, but social status. (Of course, this doesn't apply to model looking guys or guys who are at the very bottom of the beauty scale.)

Guest brinyblue

Like peppermintsugar said, its the social status that intimidates me, not how attractive the guy is. Like this one guy who was a photographer and was surrounded by hot model chicks day in and out... took me forever to get around my insecurities and talk to him. D": Because, why would he want to talk to me? Those models are interesting AND hot... But we're good friends now! LOL.

Guest dangerbaby

I don't get intimitated but less friendly? yes. WHy? I usually think their fake(I'm not talking about plastic but personality) or little sluts. I feel like when girls who are "too pretty" is talking to you there is some kind of intent behind it and not just for the sake of hanging out or what not. They're like parasite in for the looks, money, life style, etc... and if they don't find what they're looking for, they give you the cold shrug... It's like holy mini cooper one day you get a warm friendly greeting and the next not a second look. Obviously this is not true for everyone who is "too pretty". also really depends on standards too. Someone "too pretty" is not my perception of "too pretty" and my standards are pretty high. Maybe my standards are higher than what I am so I deserve what I'm getting? I don't know... I just act the same way though a "too pretty" girl will be in my peripheral vision at best, unless I know they're not what I mentioned.

ouch. but since I asked the question, I guess I do appreciate that honesty :)

Im not trying to show off or brag or anything, but this is my short story:

idk why, I'm not attracted to "really good looking" boys at all. I love the dorky type. there's this guy that I'm totally into, but he acts different around me. He acts super nice (to the point of almost fake), and other times really standoffish. But when I see him with his friends/other girls, he's super funny and dorky. I asked him over halloween weekend (while he was drunk... muahahhaa) and he said it was because I was "too pretty" for him

And then I realized that there is this other guy who is completely offstandish towards me too, but I havent done anything to richard simmons him off.. o_o;

so I guess that is where my question originated. I really, really don't mean to be bragging or anything. It's flattering of course because I think every girl, no matter how gorgeous they are, doubts their looks and personality and confidence. But it's disheartening to also hear that pretty girls are automatically ruled out as sluts, or what not. As someone who parties a lot/ doesn't get THAT good grades or seems very impressive to the smarter guys, is it possible for them to break out of that stereotype, or whatever?

Lol its frustrating.

(*lots of pent-up bitterness*)

edit/

omg. LOL HAHA. so brave, so brave

V

Guest asutedjo

basically when you are guys and the girls are really pretty in your standard HB10, and vice versa, you might feel very, pretty, or a little intimidated without proper training. Why? Because you are afraid of the prospect of rejection (if you tryin to hit on her or sth). Basically once you grew up, you have become utterly too aware of your opposite gender. Just think when you are still a kid, 5-6 years old, how do you act to opposite gender? That time you are also aware of who's good looking and who's not, but it makes you draw closer to her and deliberately want to do stuff together with her right? Basically, confidence training. 

Guest StarSaviour

Not so much so if it's just a pretty girl but if it's a girl I like then yeah... I kind of lose all motor and social skills. My brain turns to jelly and for the rest of the day/night my responses are reduced to "Mhmm" or "MmmMmm". lol

But then again, when it's someone you like, they appear to be the prettiest person in the room. =p

Yeah, I tend to avoid the really attractive guys at first. It's like they have to talk to me first in order for me to open up to them. I'd feel too intimidated. haha. The ones that get my attention are usually the ones that are still cute, but not the hottest guy around. Or they could just be the average Joe. Don't get me wrong, they cute ones are attractive and deserve the attention too. ^_^

I just don't talk to guys I like at all really lol

lol.

me 2. <_<

it's probably ridiculous...but whatever....-_-

and to answer the question, YES, i find good-looking people in general intimidating...unless they have a warm and friendly personality.

i always think that "good-looking guys" are either taken already, or have a really high standards in girls, and only get attracted to girls their own type. Like gorgeous/pretty girls.....

Archived