Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make your own lip tint/stain balm

Replies

• carameloncaramelon Posts: 94Member
    question!

i tried to make this the other day... but i failed :sweatingbullets:

my dye wouldn't mix in, it would just be in little beads all around. do you think i put too much olive oil? or i didn't heat the vaseline enough? thanks :blush:
  • ImboredthatsnotfunImboredthatsnotfun Posts: 1,611Member

IDOL

^ You used too much oil, and the oil has overpowered the vaseline. If there is too much oil, the consistensy becomes wrong and the food colouring wont adhere to it. The oil is there to make the vaseline more smooth. You also have to make sure that the oil and the vaseline are well blended. Hope that helps you! Sorry it didnt go so well your first time :(
  • LennaHimeLennaHime Posts: 67Member
    This looks super cool...I should try this sometime.  I need to find a little container to put it in though. <3

I suppose if you wanted to make a pink tint, you would just use a tiny bit of red food coloring, right?

IDOL

^ Well, I tried that, I thought it would come out pink too, but it doesn't REALLY, it just comes out very very sheer red still. Not really worth it or any colour payoff. I think you'd have to use pink food colouring. I'm glad you liked it though :)
  • JRAWKWHORE`JRAWKWHORE` ?u?u? A small town in SCPosts: 189Member
    Thank you for this! I actually like this more than Benetint, since it dries out my lips. The home-made one gives my lips a nice shine, like I just licked them haha. (:
    cncy_p_decoration001212.gif
  • bbobbobbobbo NewJerseyPosts: 612Member

ROOKIE

this is coooooool!
    Screenshot2010-07-26at70719PM.pngScreenshot2010-07-26at70733PM.png
    ^ c l i c k .
    MAC HEATHERETTE HELLO KITTY JUICY COUTURE BOUTIQUE AND KOREAN CLOTHES
  • IntangiblyYoursIntangiblyYours Posts: 747Member
    I'm definitely going to give this a try once I find a container. You can use any oil, right? (Someone above mentioned olive oil?)

Thanks for the tutorial! :D
    "The best thing about a picture is that it never changes, even when the people in it do."

My 411 | Requests | Shop | Blog

IDOL

IntangiblyYours wrote on 29 July 2010 - 01:46 AM:

I'm definitely going to give this a try once I find a container. You can use any oil, right? (Someone above mentioned olive oil?)

Thanks for the tutorial! :D

Well, I am not entirely sure. The oil I have, which is called "Earthly Elements Natural Vitamin E Oil. It's a food supplement but it says on the back it CAN also be used as a topical moisturiser. I got it from a shop in the UK called Holland & Barrett. It has other oils in it too like lemon oil which make it thinner than pure vitamin e oil. I can only compare the consistency to baby oil.
    So, I wrote olive oil because I'm pretty sure most people don't have the oil I have... However I haven't tried olive oil out for myself yet, but I am pretty sure it will work but you'll need less. Remember the purpose of the oil is to thin out the vaseline slightly. Keep that in mind and it should be okay. :)
  • LennaHimeLennaHime Posts: 67Member
    Imboredthatsnotfun wrote on 28 July 2010 - 03:47 AM:

^ Well, I tried that, I thought it would come out pink too, but it doesn't REALLY, it just comes out very very sheer red still. Not really worth it or any colour payoff. I think you'd have to use pink food colouring. I'm glad you liked it though :)

Hm, thanks! Guess I'll have to find some pink food coloring then. :3
  • ShiroiyukiShiroiyuki YOO AH IN Posts: 462Member
    YOU'RE A GENIUS. Thanks a lot for sharing this!!
  • dream_ondream_on Posts: 2,112Member

IDOL

what a great idea! i'm gonna have to try this soon.

IDOL

^ Did any of you try it in the end :)?
  • sujulovesujulove Posts: 1,129Member

ROOKIE

wow! that's really cool!
    i need to try that some time
    thanks for sharing! <3
    My Shop
    HCO. PACSUN. FOREVER 21. URBAN OUTFITTERS. ASIAN FASHION. CROP SHIRTS.

my shop 
  • desertlilydesertlily Germany,NRWPosts: 94Member
    Yup, I tried it and love love love it!

Had a hard time searching for food coloring though, because apparently germany doesn't really have liquid food coloring. I ended up using powder food coloring. The results are super nice, but I'm not going to use olive oil the next time I make new lip tint. I have the feeling the food coloring "reacted" more with the oil thus the oil was more red than the vaseline. Maybe it's because I didn't stir well/used too much oil, too.
    Gotta find some pink food coloring now ! ^-^
    T-ara Jung Yonghwa Choi SooyoungLee Yoonji Son Dambi Park GyuriAfter School
    MarcoDambikiller couple forever

*click my blog* a ♥ full of dreams
  • treeshaatreeshaa San Jose, CAPosts: 554Member
    This is such an awesome idea. I need to go find a container now? Does anyone know where I can get one of those? (x
    I can't wait to try it!
  • xiahdreamsxiahdreams United StatesPosts: 1,282Member

IDOL

awesome tutorial! I love how bright the color makes your lips :)
    will definitely have to give this a try once I get my hands on some food coloring.
  • koyukikoyuki Posts: 362Member
    My vasaline didn't really melt (I think it's because I didn't add the oil). For another alternative, use lipbalm instead, so you're basically just colouring it. :)
  • kikkiekikkie Girl. L.A., CaliforniaPosts: 1,808Member

IDOL

I tried this before~ (also in a Body Shop sample container loll!)

But the food color and Vaseline don't mix together because it's like trying to mix oil and water. Powder food color would probably be perfect though.

Now I just buy the little containers at Tokyo Lifestyle (Daiso would have it too) and melt Vaseline and some lipstick with a hair dryer (easier and faster, the balm comes out harder) or a hair straightener (takes a lot longer, balm is a lot softer). It's not so much like a lip stain and more like a sheer lip balm though.
  • dream_ondream_on Posts: 2,112Member

IDOL

i tried this the other day and i love how it turned out. however, it's more of a tinted lip balm than a stain.

i used aquaphor instead of vasaline and pomegranate juice instead of food coloring. mixed with a toothpick instead of a q-tip b/c the q-tip uses up some of the product.

i don't know how long mine will be good for since i used pomegranate juice but at least it tastes yummy. lol~

thanks again for posting!

IDOL

^ Glad you liked it. Interesting adaption too :)
    I wasn't sure whether to call it a stain or a balm, because it has the consistency of a balm but the red food colouring stains your lips.