how to improve soompi

Guest geneyoonit

Guest geneyoonit

Maybe it's the economy...

or maybe there's a (better) forum that competes with soompi for the same services...

or maybe it's due to the "new & updated" look/interface/systems...

But there is one thing definite. Soompi is dying!

I guess this topic has three reasons for being started:

1) A question: Why is it dying so suddenly, if this is, in fact sudden, or a general trend it was leading to?

2) A follow-up question: What could we do about it??

and 3) I have a (pretty radical) suggestion: Possibly it's the fact that not a lot of us likes the "new & updated" look and feel of Soompi? I don't know, just my opinion....

Please feel free to close if there were previous topics such as mine.

I'm just a little sad this is happening to a community where I feel like I was once a part of building it up, word by word...

So if anyone cares, maybe we should try finding out the problem and do something about it? lol.

*edit*btw: guys, i'm not banned LOL i just changed my "member title" to zBanned XD sorry for the confusion

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GoldFork

Possible Reasons:

-Chance

-Summer times mean less time on the computer and more time outside

-During school periods most students use this forum as a means to take a break from studies, now that school is finished(in some parts of the world) less people use it.

-also, during the summer most people are off on vacations and such, therefore they can't access a computer or have no time to go on soompi

Guest geneyoonit

^ yeah good points.. But I've been on Soompi for over 4 years now. It has never been this dry for such long periods of times... even during summer, school, hurricanes, war...

Guest colloquy

I almost wanted to quit when I saw this upgrade in fugly.

Probably it's due to competition from other sites like allkpop that don't have as stringent of rules.

Guest dorkafied!

I agree soompi is dying. I'm not posting as much as I use to.

Anywya some people are just bored of soompi now (honestly i'm

one of them..)

i thought soompi was just unable to register whether people were logged in or not

having the userbase shrink by like 400% in less than a month is unrealistic

edit:

damn didn't know so many people didn't like the upgraded soompi

the only beef i had with it was that i couldn't go invisible anymore

Probably it's due to competition from other sites like allkpop that don't have as stringent of rules.

whoever flocks to akp isn't worth having here though

my blood pressure like almost always squares whenever i decide to read a news article there

the disbanding of dbsk might also have something to do with it too

the group is dead (unfortunately), so their once glorious thread in the k-music section is dead too

i think the people who visited it were responsible for like 50% of the forum's activity

Guest geneyoonit

I agree soompi is dying. I'm not posting as much as I use to.

Anywya some people are just bored of soompi now (honestly i'm

one of them..)

well, that's interesting because soompi's been working even when individuals stopped logging on, probably because even when we get older and stopped using it, there's a new flood of younger generations making accounts, but if there isn't one, we need to somehow market to this target age group is what I think...

Guest geneyoonit

i thought soompi was just unable to register whether people were logged in or not

having the userbase shrink by like 400% in less than a month is unrealistic

damn didn't know so many people didn't like the upgraded soompi

the only beef i had with it was that i couldn't go invisible anymore

whoever flocks to akp isn't worth having here though

my blood pressure like almost always squares whenever i decide to read a news article there

the disbanding of dbsk might also have something to do with it too

the group is dead (unfortunately), so their once glorious thread in the k-music section is dead too

i think the people who visited it were responsible for like 50% of the forum's activity

well i don't have "beef" with the new system (lol), I'm just making an educated guess that that's the primary reason for this userbase going down so low...

does anyone have stats on the trend of soompi logins/userbase in the last year by months? does that kind of graph exist? cause maybe then we can figure out exactly what happened :/

*edit*

LOL ur part about dbsk was funny :P

but that could be the reason... wasn't the most visited part of soompi its discussions on music, kdrama, kmovies... in short, k entertainment? hmm...

the thing is, hasn't soompi been around for like, a REALLY long time? and they've constantly went through changes and disbanding of big-named-idol-groups, but survived...

Guest epiklove.

with all the new "idols" coming out, there are less talented people. fans are becoming more irrational, immature and narrow-minded, even on soompi. it pretty much drives away those who were really into the older kpop, the generation that could actually sing w/o their pretty looks. i'm not saying all singers now are not talented, but there's less of those people around. i've been in love with kpop for like 7 years and recently, i've really turned away from it because everything is so unoriginal nowadays. i've had enough with the "idols" and boy/girl groups.

also, june is final exam month for most people, especially in north america.

and most of the fans here are mostly from the US, so everyone is studying hard to get into college/university.

akp's goal when they started was to compete with soompi. and it seems like a lot of people enjoy that place.

in fact, i hate that place to death. backstabbers.

i like both the new and old look. i don't really see why people hate the new upgrade.

it's so much for colorful whereas before it was dull.

i feel like the major age group that dominated the forum before is just growing out of it

like when i first joined the majority of people were 13-14 years old and nowadays i don't

really see anymore of those users online?

i think, kpop, the culture itself is getting repetitive

we can get the news elsewhere and there really isn'at a need for a 'community' anymore

especially when all that community consists of are petty arguments.

Guest sikhye

I think the active users list is broken too. One minute there's 300 guests online and then the next minute there are only 10.

Guest geneyoonit

^soompi use to have 1500 active users average, and when it gets high trafficked, it gets up to almost 4000 users...

these are good points though, and possibly a combination of everything might be leading to its slow death... :(

@epiklove: there are still really great original singers in kpop. they're just much more underrated than the idol groups you're speaking of though...

@MR. W@RHOL: i thought the same thing actually, but where else are people going to argue about k entertainment? i know others exists, but i also know that soompi has always been one of the biggest (asianfanatics has also been pretty big, but their predominately chinese, whereas soompi is mostly kpop, correct me if i'm wrong)

and like i mentioned previously, where's the constant flow of younger generations? i know that people have been leaving, but as individuals, that shouldn't matter for the greater population of the future. it's just that soompi's "birthrate" of 13-14 year olds have dropped too i think :/

doh -- as sad as this thread makes me feel -

i felt i need to mention that we added this new caching system yesterday (nginx) that's supposed to make things run faster, but i think it's messing up the logging system, which is why the active users count is going crazy :x

we're looking into this right now ---- we're not dead! :P

we shall live!

fighting!

-s

Guest geneyoonit

oh, so there's nothing to worry about? lol

cause i donno... it seems like the past month has really been slow :/

(AND OMG THE SOOMP! HAS COMMENTED!... sorry i just had to freak out a little real quick lol)

Guest lily_lee

it takes me so many links to click to get me to my managed lists which is where i hang out now.. rediculous.. no more email notifications.. im not invisible.. its not user friendly anymore...

maybe they want people to leave... it could be costing them more than its worth.

^soompi use to have 1500 active users average, and when it gets high trafficked, it gets up to almost 4000 users...

these are good points though, and possibly a combination of everything might be leading to its slow death... :(

@epiklove: there are still really great original singers in kpop. they're just much more underrated than the idol groups you're speaking of though...

@MR. W@RHOL: i thought the same thing actually, but where else are people going to argue about k entertainment? i know others exists, but i also know that soompi has always been one of the biggest (asianfanatics has also been pretty big, but their predominately chinese, whereas soompi is mostly kpop, correct me if i'm wrong)

and like i mentioned previously, where's the constant flow of younger generations? i know that people have been leaving, but as individuals, that shouldn't matter for the greater population of the future. it's just that soompi's "birthrate" of 13-14 year olds have dropped too i think :/

well i mean, i remember when there was a time in fandom when it wasn't ALL about the controversy and arguing

frankly i think like someone else said, the irrationality of the newer kpop fans is a turn off for those

who have been here longer.

i don't think the problem really lies with competition, cause i know allkpop is popular but people are mostly there for their news updates, and you don't really get a conversation there since it's like a ..commenting system rather than forum, :( as a member of soompi for a couple of years i wanna say it really is kpop that's dying and not soompi.

this makes me sad :< sorta grew up here.

Archived