Thai vs. Viet Food

Guest milkbunny

Guest milkbunny

the battle of the foods begin :]
So me(thai/chinese) and my boyfriend(viet) are having a competition

who's national food taste better mine or his?

so we thought soompi... would be a good place to answer this question:

IS THAI FOOD BETTER OR VIETNAMESE FOOD?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yummyO

well um i would pick padthai over pho

but other than padthai i dont really like thai food.

overall viet cuisine got my vote, BUT on my top ten favorite food list for now padthai is my number one

but that is just one dish."if that even make any sense"

kinda bias cause im viet lawls!

Guest JAMIESHOCK

THAI FOOD!! So, so good. :)

It helps that Davis has a fair number of decent Thai restaurants and my Thai/Chinese-mix aunt makes some of the most delicious foods in the world.

Guest CaramelSweetie

I haven't tried enough viet food to decide properly, but for now, it's thai for me. :)

Guest teruteru_chan

Viet food FTW! xD

i find Thai food kinda spicy for me lol

[maybe i'm biased cuz i'm Vietnamese ;D]

Guest leelee.

So basically, this is like a poll on whether most people prefer Thai or Vietnamese food? It's all based on personal opinions though... and there's SO MANY different dishes in each country's cuisine.

I've never had any Thai food (sad right?!), but I only like some Vietnamese dishes.

Guest Winnieexxx

That's actually quite a hard question since they're both very different.. :( can't give a straight answer unfortunately..

Viet food tastes so much "cleaner" to me, lighter with more veggies and herbs, more soups, also I'm more used to it as I'm vietnamese myself,

When I went to stay at my boyfriend's place in Thailand for a month i ate pretty much every thai food possible (and still do with him as thai restaurants outnumber viet restaurants 10:1 in my current city) and to be honest they're quite evenly matched...for beef/pork stirfries,noodle dishes like pad si ew etc I prefer thai food, but otherwise the curries and etc. I don't really enjoy, and some dishes can be a bit greasy for me sometimes. For soups and salads vietnamese food wins hands down :)...tho I love larb as well...

Overall though, I prefer vietnamese food slightly more...but I kind of wish that I had more experience with home cooked thai dishes....while i was visiting thailand I only had a 1-2 dishes cooked by his maids, the rest of the time the thai dishes i tried over there and here were in restaurants, and i'm pretty sure that they're not as "authentic" or at least cooked with more oil or have some fusion elements to them compared to dishes cooked at home. For example I'm used to eating pho at home with most of the fat having been skimmed off the broth; I basically hate eating pho at restaurants because its oily as hell LOL.

Other than that the only time i wouldn't have a preference is between the very similar dishes, like canh chua/tom yum goong, or ga nuong/kai yang..

Archived