When you go shopping for clothes, how often does your boyfriend pay for your stuff?

Guest lexlingchi

Guest lexlingchi

i haven't gone shoppign with a boyfriend before

but when you go shopping for clothes and accessories etc, how often does your boyfriend pay for the stuff you buy?

do you get him to pay all the time? or only sometimes? or half half?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest witchery

He offers if I'm short of cash, but I don't think I've ever taken up the offer, I'd rather just leave it or do a deposit. Shopping is MY addiction/problem, and I shouldn't burden it upon anyone else. I'd rather just be punished for it later with a declining account balance so that I can control myself xD

If he offers to pay then I guess you can't really argue with it. I mean, he is your boyfriend, but i dont think he should pay everytime. Only on special occasions or whatnot, after all, he's not your mother or someone you just date for the money, cause thenn,,, that'd make you a golddigger :x Other than that, it's perfectly normal if he pays once in a while. =)

Guest prettyLOVEE

If he's with me, he usually ALWAYS buys everything for me and then i'll try to buy the food or small things or things for him but he rarely buys anything..

Guest Mishi-san

He will offer if I'm short haha but early in the relationship he would offer; but I explained that shopping is for me; I feel good when I buy stuff that I earned with my cash! ( also sad when I realise how much I've used) So I won't ever let him pay for my endless clothes and handbags that I buy.

Plus I feel bad when he spends his hard working money on me! :(

Guest eternityras

all the guys i've been with have offered to pay for my stuff (food, tickets, clothes-though i rarely subject them to the torture of shopping w me), except for one dude. i always pay for my own stuff anyway, unless they bought it wo telling me/they absolutely won't let me pay. but i personally find it weird if they don't offer (to me it's expressing the thought that counts)

Guest einna23

He only pays when i am short of cash! Or else i really want something and i cant afford it! HAHA But i don't think he has an obligation to pay for my clothes.

Guest mularice

Hmmm... we go shopping A LOT (I swear he actually shops more than me?!) and so he offers and has paid a lot of these times. He has a rule though: he will only offer to buy or will only buy me things that I like AND that he likes too. If he doesn't particularly like it he won't offer. Luckily, he has really good taste and style and I trust his opinion on things. For example, I wanted an Armarni dress in yellow, he said he would only buy it if I got it in a plum colour. Luckily, he was right, I looked gross in the yellow! And he has amazing taste in shoes - he found me gorgeous YSL shoes and said he would only buy me those and not the other ones I saw because although he liked them both, he thought his choice was better - again he was right >.<

I guess he has bought me a lot of stuff (compared to me buying him things) but considering how much we shop, it's not like he buys me everything. We're a lot more "responsible" with money now too as we save for couple things like holidays and stuff for our flat. But he still spoils me XD

It's nice when guys can do it but I think it's nice for girls to know that they can buy their own stuff too. I don't really like feeling like I can only afford my nice things because my boyfriend buys me them. I like knowing that if he didn't buy me them I could buy them for myself too!

Guest yourjuliet

He doesn't offer because I have a job and he doesn't, I don't mind. He pays for my food most of the time. :)

But when I'm short on cash and don't have any of my debit/credit cards with me, then he'll pay. It's not often I don't have my debit card with me, though. There was this one day I didn't bring it and was $20 short and he paid :D Thank god he was there! I owed him back though.

Guest nghister

I'd feel horrible if I go shopping with my bf and he pays for everything as if I'm some ditsy little girl who can't buy herself the things she likes... it's ok to some people but if I know ahead of time that he plans to buy something for me before a shopping trip, I make sure, if he does insist on buying something for me, I pick out something cheap and wait for another time to buy expensive items myself. I find it a lack of self respect (just my personal opinion)...

I think we're about 1/2 and 1/2 on the amount of $$ we spend on each other. I usually pay most of the food expenses and groceries so he sometimes feels the need to get me a small gift in return. Everything's pretty much 50/50 and I think it's healthier this way.

My bf makes way more than I do, but I think it's only fair to him that I should only like things I can afford to pay myself. He has needs and wants too, and much more important usages with his money. lol

Oh, if I'm short on cash, I don't buy anything. lol... it's a rule of thumb by the both of us. This is why we're super prepared before going out shopping ^ ^

Guest delightful123

What? Hahahaha... my boyfriend never buys any of my stuff when I go shopping... I had no idea that was a normal thing.

Guest eunbit

my (now ex-)boyfriend used to buy me tons of clothes, shoes, makeup....

if i went to meet him wearing "scruffy" clothes, like jeans and a beater hoodie, he'd usually want to buy me something "pretty and girlie", like a one-piece dress, or other clothes that had pastel and lace, or high heels.

i guess he'd buy me the clothes he wanted me to wear more often. which i didn't mind.... but i rarely wore them.

at first i always felt bad, but he came from a rich family, so he was used to buying whatever he felt like buying.

so, i let him.

and yeah, my sisters were like "gold digger!" b/c they are VERY assertive and don't let guys buy ANYTHING for them. but i disagree. for example, i've always been used to guys picking up the tab for dinner (now too); i believe that if a guy invites a girl out for a date, he should pay for it. and vice versa.

for the ex, i'd buy coffee for him, or ice-cream... though I hate coffee, and he hates ice cream: so in the end, coffee shops or ice cream parlors were expressions of compromise :)

Guest ulycheeze

If I want something then I'll pay for it. :S I only accept him paying for me if it's something we do together and he invited me.

Guest Batgirl

Never. I'd feel so....weird.

I also don't take my boyfriend to the mall because I don't like subjecting him to something he doesn't like.

Guest crackednut

Though not a big spender, I am the most indecisive shopper ever when it comes to clothes; No WAY would I subject another human being to my craziness :lol:

He can pay for my stomach though...I encourage it.

Guest PhuongNguyen

When I didn't had a job, my boyfriend pretty much pays for everything, from food to clothes, to school supplies. Now that I have a job, I'm doing all the paying. Not that he's broke now, but I'm making up for all the years that I spent his money. I spent like, 1000$ on him last month. It feels nice being able to pay for his stuff now, = )

Archived