how to get rid of smelly feet?

Guest GIBBERGIBBLETS;

Guest GIBBERGIBBLETS;

okay yea kinda ridiculous but i have bad smelly feet and it only happens when i wear flats. it's sorta annoying actually beacuse i put on lotion, wash the flats and i even put baby powder on my feet and still they smell really bad. i even tried wearing those skin coloured socks and yea they reeked so any suggestions/help?

* Wear socks made of cotton or other wicking material that can absorb perspiration

* Use dehydrating foot powder and footpads that contain activated charcoal that absorbs odor

* Use a tea soak 30 minutes every day for a week to allow tea tannins to constrict sweat pores

* Go barefoot or wear open sandals when you can

* Try adding a few drops of essential oils such as tea tree, sage and clove to a footbath containing arrowroot and baking soda

* Rub some rubbing alcohol on feet at bedtime

Guest lala-123

Some flats do that... the only thing you can do is to just keep washing your feet after wearing them, I guess. Then buy new flats [:

Guest Edward

my exgf has that problem and it always bothered me because they stunk bad.. she tried putting baby powder on it and it didn't work either. I'd suggest replacing the shoes often and soaking your feet in soapy water.. or wearing socks with them (since you wear pants it won't look weird)

Guest iPhets

i just wear socks (the ones for flats) so they only stink like sweat but not gross sweat, if you know what i mean? like..the smell of purely just sweat instead of smelling like i have atheletes foot.

i used to have smelly feet because i was travelling some time ago and couldn't clean my foot as much as i would like and i think it was atheletes feet because it smelled so bad. because of that, now i wash my feet after i arrive home no matter what, and they don't stink any more =)

so why don't you try washing it everyday after you get home? and also try to air you feet whenever you sit down, i do that a lot in lectures and it helps so much haha :P (i just slip my foot out a little)

Guest candyfloss<3

Could it be that the flats you wear are fake leather? Sometimes that causes smelly feet.Other than that you should try what everyone else has already posted.

Also you might want to try wearing different shoes everyday, That way you let the smelly shoes air out on the days you're not wearing them.

a simple solution is to make sure that you scrub your feet when you're in the shower.

wash the top, bottom and in between the toes.

also, make sure that your feet get plenty of breathing room.

if your shoes are tight, switch to a pair that gives more space, or don't wear the tight ones as often.

if the smell comes when you're wearing flip-flops or other open shoes, it might just be that dirt from outside is mixing with your sweat to make the smell.

in that case, you could try wiping them off from time to time with baby wipes?

Scrub them down with baking soda. After you rinse them off, they don't smell like anything at all!

Of course, this doesn't mean it won't come back though.

You'd probably have to keep up with it.

Guest everlasting_10

Keep your feet clean. Washing your feet on a regular basis will help to reduce the bacteria count during the day. It may be necessary to wash your feet more than once a day. Make sure to use soap and water when you wash them. Using antibacterial soap is an even better way to get rid of and kill the bacteria causing your foot odor. Make sure to dry your feet really well before putting on a fresh pair of socks. I wouldn't use the same socks you had on before because it will just reintroduce moisture and bacteria to your feet.

Keep your feet dry. Bacteria need six things to survive and flourish: food, acidity, time, temperature, oxygen, and moisture. Of the variables you have control of moisture is probably the easiest to control. Try taking your shoes off when you don't need them. Or wear socks that wick moisture away from your skin, socks made of cotton work the best. If you don't have time to take your shoes off or you don't want to offend the other people around you, just change into a new pair.

Let your shoes dry out. At the end of the day when you finally get to take of your smelly shoes and free your stinky feet from their hot and wet prisons, make sure you let your shoes dry out. The tendency is to throw them in the closet so they don't stink up the room, but they need to dry out. Find a spot for them to do that, and if they get really bad, wash them if possible.

Try using antiperspirant or deodorant. Antiperspirants work by inhibiting the release of sweat from your sweat ducts with aluminum salts. Basically, they decrease the amount of sweat that reaches your skin. Deodorants, on the other hand, do not decrease sweat but they help control odor as well as make your skin a more acidic environment, which is less desirable to bacteria. Prolonged use of antiperspirants can cause irritation or even contact dermatitis. Antiperspirants are the most common cause of skin irritation caused by cosmetic products.

Eating some foods will make your feet even smellier. Have you ever met a person who puts garlic in everything? If you have, you will also remember their extremely garlicky body odor. Garlic is not the only food that has this affect. There are a lot of foods that can make smelly feet even smellier. Here is a short list: garlic, onions, curries, chilies, and alcohol. People taking penicillin have also been known to clear a room or two.

Your Stinky Feet

There are a lot of causes for stinky feet. And there are also a lot of different cures. Here is a synopsis of the best ways to keep your feet from getting smelly.

1. Bathe your feet daily and dry them thoroughly before putting on your socks. Choose socks made from materials that absorb moisture like cotton and wool. There are also athletic socks specifically designed to wick moisture away while exercising. Shoes made of natural materials like leather can help prevent foot sweat by allowing your feet to breathe.

2. If your feet feel wet, either take off your shoes or change your socks. And if that's not enough, change your shoes, too. Shoes may not completely dry out overnight, so try not to wear the same pair two days in a row. Reducing the amount of time your feet are covered will reduce the smell, so go barefoot as much as possible.

3. If you need more help with the smell, try adding antiperspirants or deodorants to your feet. Remember that using antiperspirants too often will cause skin irritation.

4. If you have athlete's foot, make sure to treat it regularly with fungicide because athlete's foot makes foot odor worse.

5. Excessive perspiration can be triggered by stress, so try relaxing once in a while. Put your feet up and take your shoes off.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest breathenonstopx

it's possible that it has something to do with what the shoe's made of =/ i have some pairs that smell and it's nearly impossible to get rid of, and some ive worn forever and dont smell at all..

Guest xx-

change your footwear everyday and leave the shoes outside to give it some air..

i avoid wearing covered shoes when there's a need to take it off like, visiting ppl's house.

Guest xmapleleaves

ugh, i have the same problem and it's horrible! i haven't really found any cures or anything.. but washing your feet often is definitely helpful. and you can also change socks throughout the day.

i know they make deodorant/antiperspirants specifically for feet, though i haven't had any luck finding them in the supermarket.. i've been meaning to buy this: click but i haven't gotten around to it yet so i can't tell you if it works or not :T

but definitely, as others have said already, let your shoes air out (outdoors if possible) and don't wear the same pair every single day! it's better to rotate between different pairs of shoes. and wear sandals every now and then so your feet can get some fresh air.

also, a tip for smelly shoes - if you put newspaper in them, it gets rid of the smell somewhat. supposedly fabric softener sheets (the ones you put in the dryer) work too, but they weren't that effective when i used them.

Guest azngrlxp

Wear socks made for flats and wash your flats every 2 weeks then put them in the sun to air dry.

Guest soompier1

If it only happens when you wear flats I would suggest you just not wear them, easiest solution.

• 1 month later...
Guest GIVEfreeHUGS

I suggest putting baby powder in your shoes maybe the night before you wear em.

Baby powder prevents sweating which explains the smell.

I do it because my friend suggested it to me and it really works :)

Guest qtvietchick

I have the same problem as you before, so I know how unpleasant and a pain it can be. I recommend that you use Allpresan Pedicare Foot Care Foam - Sweaty Feet for your feet as well as the Allpresan 10 Shoe Deodorant spray for your shoes.

The foam is amazing! It kills bacteria which causes odor and leaves your feet smelling odor-free (spring-like, actually). Just like the foam, the spray also gets rid of bacteria; therefore, you can say goodbye to smelly feet.

I hope this helps : )

Archived