Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have what it takes to be a Soompi Moderator? APPLY NOW!

Opinions on imitation/faux leather jackets

--*pinkberri--*pinkberri Posts: 770Member
edited March 2010 in beauty & fashion
I have been looking for a leather jacket for the longest time. However, all the ones in my price range that I find and I like, are imitation leather. For example, I found some nice looking jackets from H&M or Top Shop for under $100.. but i hear some people say that fake leather jackets look cheap? I mean the leather is soft and it looks fine (not like those super shiny cheap ones)... but what are your thoughts?

I don't know if I should pick up a faux leather jacket for around $50 or invest in a more expensive, real leather one. Does it really matter?
*my blog*
randomness . shopping . purchases . etc
~*My Shop<3
vs pink . ruffle bikini swimwear . asian fashion . [XS-S]
·

Replies

• darlingdarling meow SocalPosts: 1,271Friend of Soompi
    I think faux leather jackets can be cute & if you choose the right one, it definitely won't look cheap (: I have one from H&M and I love it! I don't think people expect young people (assuming you're young) to wear expensive, real leather jackets anyway. Yeah my H&M jacket feels nothing like my real leather Chloe one, but I also don't wear that one even half as much as I wear the H&M one..
    ·
  • CaramelSweetieCaramelSweetie PFTTTTTTTT yeah vancouverPosts: 4,357Member

IDOL

I think it looks good from afar, but once you get up close, it's bleh. image
    Reading: 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6 || 7 || 8 || 9 ||
    Have read: a || b || c || d || e || f || g
    ARPILBLACKCOFFEE I found Paris.
    ·
  • kinellakinella your fav smelly buddy Posts: 440Member
    edited March 2010
    it depends
    some are very nice and some are even better and more expensive than real leather ones
    plus you wont feeling guilty for having an animal killed when you are wearing a fake leather jacket
    ·
  • joxxyjoxxy CanadaPosts: 745Member
    It really depends on how the material looks, but I think that for the most part, fake leather is more suitable for younger people.
    I don't think it looks tacky at all, unless the material is really shiny/metallic.
    ·
  • Honey_BabeeHoney_Babee Love Sick ♥ T dot&lt;3Posts: 5,183Friend of Soompi
    I've always hated faux leather jacket... in my opinion if you're going for that look, might as well get the real thing. I don't know, i just feel like it's like a bootlegged version of a real leather jacket. but then again thats just me =/

but if ur going to go for a faux leather jacket, make sure it looks the part and not cheap/tacky looking.
    ad-1.jpg
    ·
  • soompier1soompier1 Posts: 2,187Member

ROOKIE

edited March 2010
    As long as you buy one that doesn't smell weird or looks cheap, then obviously it's fine, the only issue is it's pretty rare to find faux leather that looks good
    be it cost/ "morality" whatever the reason for buying faux leather, I don't really care, not my business, just make sure it doesn't look cheap or smell bad
    QUOTE (kinella @ Mar 18 2010, 04:42 PM) »
    it depends
    some are very nice and some are even better and more expensive than real leather ones
    plus you wont feeling guilty for having an animal killed when you are wearing a fake leather jacket

you won't feel 'guilty' for that instance but animal by products are everywhere, cosmetics, skin care, food, candy
    ·
  • elaineeelainee Posts: 845Member
    ^ cosmetics?! o_0
    But seriously i could careless if it was real or fake, its it looks good then it looks good. (:
    ·
  • iotaiota Posts: 1,081Member
    I have a faux-leather jacket from H&M, a lot of people told me that they really liked it, actually ... obviously there are some that look really cheap/tacky, but that's not always the case.
    1 | 2
    ·
  • nghisternghister Posts: 1,416Member

ROOKIE

there are really nice faux leather jackets if you look. Not everyone who gets faux leather can't afford the real thing, they might just don't want to wear leather. So, yes it is fine to wear a faux leather jacket as long as it is well made and doesn't look super fake and plastic imo.
    ya3 + shoon, forever fan<3
    ·
  • --*pinkberri--*pinkberri Posts: 770Member
    thanks for the replies everyone image

and yes I'm talking about the nice faux leather jackets, not the shiny, stiff plasticy ones lol
    *my blog*
    ~*My Shop<3
    ·
  • lovelove Posts: 2,292Friend of Soompi

IDOL

not sure if this applies to all faux leather stuff, but i saw a sign by the cash register at UO that their faux leather stuff can cause cancer.

personally i'm not a fan of leather, real or not.
    ·
  • BoomBoomBangBoomBoomBang Posts: 196Member
    someone explain to me how does a tacky leather jacket looks. better yet post some pics of nice looking ones
    ·
  • darlingdarling meow SocalPosts: 1,271Friend of Soompi
    edited March 2010
    QUOTE (BoomBoomBang @ Mar 18 2010, 11:07 PM) »
    someone explain to me how does a tacky leather jacket looks. better yet post some pics of nice looking ones

Tacky leather jacket:

·
  • PROshinigamiPROshinigami Posts: 258Member
    high quality pleather is ALL GOOD.

·
  • --*pinkberri--*pinkberri Posts: 770Member
    here is another photo of a tacky leather jacket.. this is the best photo i can find of the material i am talking about-

obviously, I steer away from ones that look like that image
    *my blog*
    ~*My Shop<3
    ·
  • BoomBoomBangBoomBoomBang Posts: 196Member
    QUOTE (darling @ Mar 19 2010, 06:28 AM) »

i think it looks not bad lol...whats tacky about it? shiny just not in style?
    ·
  • xNATxNAT Otakuland with Peony :)Posts: 578Member

ROOKIE

^ real leather isn't that shiny o_o it looks more matte than that. now that i think of it, the jacket i saw today was faux leather! i never knew that cause I assumed it was real leather and therefore the high price

oh the things you learn on soompi image
    ·
  • littlemisssunsunshinelittlemisssunsunshine peaceful Posts: 2,071Member
    i think real leather jackets are a great investment if you can afford it
    but a faux leather jacket isnt that much of a bad idea either
    i have this faux one from japan and i get compliments on it all the time image

·
  • Aki_Aki_ LondonPosts: 835Member
    edited March 2010
    i've a faux one, some ppl have to understand that faux doesnt always mean bad quality or cheap - it's a miss sixty jacket which looked so much like leather, but i tried it on and it felt silky soft and wasnt leather. i had to get it cos it looked so good and fit so damn well, it cost me about 600USD, and its in no way bad quality or tacky looking.
    here's how it looks

[image

·
  • FireDragonFireDragon United StatesPosts: 1,423Member
    Some look really nice, but some are cheap looking, as in similar to shiny, hardened garbage-bag material. Avoid those at all costs! They don't reek of death like real leather does (Wilsons Leather - did they go bankrupt yet?). Go for pleather... there is really no need to wear real animal skin when we have the technology to create synthetics. =]
    Why must we fall apart to understand how to fly?
    I will find a way even without wings.

Check out my shop for all your drugstore beauty needs + Asian fashion + more!
    ·