Better to turn off computer everyday or not?

mommie Alice

Guest twinky81

Depends... if it's a laptop then, I'd just put it to Sleep mode.

With a Desktop however... do you do any of this with your Desktop:

1) using Folding@Home on your PC

2) using SETI@Home client

3) downloading stuff - like through BitTorrent.

If not, shut it off. Save some oil/coal and some money in your wallet/purse. No point in leaving it on all the time.

There was once a school of thoughts whom did a research and said everytime you turn on and off your pc, its life is being shorten by 1 day. The reason behind this because of some components had this thin wires *if i remember correctly*, they tends to break due to the cold and hot temperature of your pc.. everytime you turn on your computer it heats up, when you shutdown it cool off.. etc

That research was like donkey years ago tho, I believe this problem shouldnt exist on modern pc anymore. If this problem

does exist, the pc parts manufacturer must have already done something to fix it.

Guest STEPHOO--

^

Yeah, same, I always hibernate my laptop - I don't remember the last time I actually turned it off. lol.

As for my desktop ... I hardly use it anymore so it's always off now.

Guest djloekee27

windows starts up so much faster from hibernation compared to a regular start up. i used to leave my pc on 24/7/365 because of the slow start up for windows until i learned about the hibernation mode. you can also leave programs open when you hibernate it and when you turn it back on you don't have to restart your programs you want open like media players and browsers.

I thought about this and now I have different question.

Because I used to have my desktop computer on all the time for years, my fan went out and I have to replace it. Now with my new computer, I'm worried same thing might happen.

If I put it to sleep, does the fan still stay on to cool the computer or does fan not work while it's asleep?

Thank you

Is it really okay to keep laptops hibernating rather than turn it off? :o

I always turn off my laptop after I use it, but the past few months, during the day I put it on sleep mode/hibernate so it won't take long to load up. But I still turn it off before going to bed.

Is it really not bad to just keep it on hibernate 24/7 :o Will it not heat up or blow up or something? Because even if it's on hibernate, it's still like ON right!? :unsure:

Guest edgetube

It's not bad to shut it off but you can hibernate it which saves your current desktop. And the computer DOES turn off completely, so it's not a terrible idea...

Actually hibernating isn't too good for a laptop. I get crashes one in 10 times I put my computer to sleep/hibernate. I'm not sure why.

You guys are probably just lucky it doesn't happen to you.

Guest prisonerzero

i turn off my laptop every night. i don't have any problems.

the windows load up isn't slow either. sometimes, but it's usually not.

whhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

i ALWAYS turn off my laptop every single day...

my laptop is like 3 years old and i have encountered no problems.

so i dont get it. do i put it to sleep instead?

Oh... I usually turn my laptop off when i'm done using it for the day ): it's usually on all day (like in sleep/hibernate mode) for quick usage, but at night I'll usually turn it off. I might start keeping it in sleep mode if what people have said is true.

This kind of ties into my question of what's best for your laptop battery lol.

Archived