Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees

Guest x-ly

I've never come across that before, but I could make a guess that maybe it means

it's better to die with diginity than to live without?

Or to die having done everything yourself, rather than living off other people (like when people beg on their knees..)

Guest xstrawberry_bearx

^ Yeah I agree. Something like to die with dignity knowing you stand up for yourself, that you live your life on your own, your way. Rather than begging and following others, being told how told how to live your life. I think :huh:~ Something like that right?

• 1 month later...

Maybe it means it's better to live life independently, being and creating your own person, thinking for yourself, than living life trying to be like another person and depending on them to bring you up to your feet? o_o

But I'm trying to figure out why the person says to DIE on your feet/LIVE on your knees, instead of DIE on your feet/DIE on your knees...or LIVE on your feet/LIVE on your knees.

Guest MarineGreen

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"

Does anyone know what that means? :wacko:

Thankyou.

I believe Emiliano Zapata said those words back in the day when he was chilling with Pancho Villa and fighting against the federales. It was basically a rallying call for the Mexican Revolution and he probably said it when he began to form the Liberation Army of The South.

Given the fact that Zapata was influenced greatly by an Anarchist Communist in Oaxaca, i believe it is a challenge to the people to forget about prayer and asking God for help but to take up arms get off their knees and onto their feet and fight for their rights.

Guest lea11

Or if you want to take it literally, if your legs got cut off halfway, you'd rather die because now you can't walk anymore hahahaha/

Archived