Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soompi Forums is moving TOMORROW!! Migration is scheduled to begin around 8am PDT Tuesday / 12am KST Wednesday [more details]

Is Tying Up Wet Hair Bad?

lostieeelostieee :)Posts: 586Member
edited October 2008 in fitness & sports
My mom has always been telling me NOT to tie hair up when it's wet (not damp/near-dry), but I just don't know what's so bad about it. Before functions I always tie my wet hair up in a bun after shower and sleep with it so the next morning I get soft curls without applying heat to it.

Is it bad if you tie up your hair when it's wet? Like, does it give you a headache or something?! image
·

Replies

• slynnslynn Washington statePosts: 429Member
    It can cause breakage. Wet hair in general is vulnerable to damage.
    ·
  • mineforkeeps.mineforkeeps. Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,153Member
    edited October 2008
    I agree with slynn. Wet hair is very vulnerable to damage. That's why it's recommended not to brush your hair when it's wet -- if anything, you should use a wide tooth comb.

My parents have also told me that sleeping with wet hair will give you headaches (either now, or later in life) lol, but I don't think there's actually any scientific evidence to prove this.
    ·
  • PoooBearPoooBear 'Super, Team. Poppin', Magic' guide to excellent adventure!Posts: 1,715Member
    QUOTE (babyleese @ Oct 23 2008, 04:56 AM) »
    I agree with slynn[/n]. Wet hair is very vulnerable to damage. That's why it's recommended not to brush your hair when it's wet -- if anything, you should use a wide tooth comb.

My parents have also told me that sleeping with wet hair will give you headaches (either now, or later in life) lol, but I don't think there's actually any scientific evidence to prove this.

My mom has always told me that sleeping with wet hair gives you lice image
    I dunno how she came up with that.

IVII || Yunho-sshi Love | Click Sig For My (temp) Love
    Zeta Tau Alpha \^^^/
    ·
  • meilovemeilove For the love of Mei <3 Virginia *Posts: 8,572Friend of Soompi

IDOL

well i don't like the dents in my hair and i sometimes get a headache after sleeping with my wet hair in a bun >_<
    ·
  • epikxloveepikxlove Posts: 3,305Member

IDOL

i find it sorta unsanitary... idk why
    your hair is wet and your just bundling it up all together. I feel like it's gonna smell like a wet dog >_>;;;;;;
    Shopp && Status The Renaissance Affair now CLOSED
    BoA ♥ 2NE1 ♥ Big Bang  TVXQ as 5

·
  • lovely_desirelovely_desire vroom vroom. Posts: 222Member
    I was told it is
    breakage, have you noticed when you tie your hair that
    when you take the bobble off that it has hair on it

hair breakage or when you brush it why so much hair comes out.
    Breakage easier when damp.

The clock tick tocks and tocks and ticks..

credit for avatar:xx_applees
    ·
  • NineNine Who knows.Posts: 1,867Member

IDOL

hair breakage
    because your pulling your roots and when your hair's wet the roots are really soft and fragile then
    that's why when your hair is wet and you comb it lots of it come out
      (╯◕_◕)╯

·
  • alisagomialisagomi Richmond, BC, CanadaPosts: 88Member
    When your hair is wet, it stretches.. If you pull your hair back into a ponytail and let it dry, the hair shrinks, and since it's held on by the hair tie, breakage and hair loss happens. I guess it's okay if it's a loose ponytail..but people who pull their hair back really tight often, start getting wider foreheads because they're slowly pulling their hairline back
    ·
  • krnxxbabiikrnxxbabii HawaiiPosts: 69Member
    i heard that you get dandruff if you do it too much
    ·
  • iamdangermouseiamdangermouse Posts: 189Member
    always dry your hair before you pull it up in a pony tail and go to sleep.
    I started doing that during high school in korea, because i didnt have time to dry it. and in a week, i started to get mad scalp problems and dandruff. your scalp begins to shed.
    ever since then, i always dry my hair, and i never had dandruff again.

:]

visit my STORE (:

-great quality, brand name clothes, bags, shoes, etc!
    -BCBG, sakata tokyo, banana republic, AE, Marc Jacobs
    ·
  • hunnyhunny icelandPosts: 3,133Member

ROOKIE

i think to tie hair with wet hair makes me lose hair image gosh. sighhhh
    Please read the signature rules
    ·
  • fi1993fi1993 Bris-vegazsPosts: 175Member
    hmm..well im not sure...what i causes..i think its just breakages..
    but my hairdresser used to get pissed off at me..cause..i tied my hair up will it was wet
    ...umm sleeping with wet hair..causes..colds...
    but..i always do that... -.-
    ·
  • sentuhmentalfo0lsentuhmentalfo0l Posts: 3,377Member

ROOKIE

QUOTE (meilove @ Oct 23 2008, 11:57 AM) »
    well i don't like the dents in my hair and i sometimes get a headache after sleeping with my wet hair in a bun >_<

YEAH
    i don't like doing anything to my wet hair when its drying
    or i get all these weird grooves, etc haha
    ·
  • SillyyJennSillyyJenn Posts: 2,572Member

ROOKIE

it gives me headaches. maybe it's just me but still it's super un-comfy x_x
    g-g-g-g-baby-baby-gd-gd-baby-baby!
    MY SHOP [SELLING YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL DC DVD].
    ·
  • rwtoastrwtoast AustraliaPosts: 419Member
    umm i think it also tends to lead to breakage of your hair..... my momo is a hairdresser so she loves to nag me : )
    ·
  • ninyaahninyaah the end USAPosts: 2,963Member

IDOL

It also gives me headaches. And aside from that it will be more prone to breakage.
    ·
  • ch0psticksch0psticks Somewhere~Posts: 102Member

ROOKIE

QUOTE (babyleese @ Oct 23 2008, 04:56 AM) »
    I agree with slynn. Wet hair is very vulnerable to damage. That's why it's recommended not to brush your hair when it's wet -- if anything, you should use a wide tooth comb.

I think it's because it makes your head cold, and when your head is cold, you get headaches, or something like that.
    ·
  • xskyixskyi Smile for me... Posts: 2,371Member
    My mom told me that putting up my hair while it's wet gives me an headache when I wake up if I sleep with it.
    Never happend to me but I get a frizzy volumized hair the next day image I usually have straight soft hair.

It may cause you hairloss but otherwise, I dony know...
    ·
  • INSANEINSANE Posts: 3,076Member

ROOKIE

breakage and it can cause your hairline to go up higher (which is not attractive at all) if you get what i mean.
    you and me found something pretty neat.
    hi, butterflies
    ·
  • JoannaJoanna ☆インテツ☆ Posts: 10,102Friend of Soompi

IDOL

QUOTE (babyleese @ Oct 23 2008, 05:56 PM) »

yeh my parents say that too xD they said that you will always get headache when you are older if you leave your hair wet and you sleep.
    Please read the signature rules
    ·