Have You Ever Been Asked.....

Guest eledoremassis02

Guest eledoremassis02

because you study a foriegn language?
"Are you [insert nationality of language your learning]?"

I know it really makes no since...but I constantly am being asked "Are you part Japanese?" because they ask what language I am learning..

I guess they figure only Japanese people learn Japanese?? I really don't get it..but does this happen to anyone else?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hwarang61

I speak German, French, Korean(my nationality) and English.

Yes, I've been asked if I was part French or part German just because I spoke the language.

Guest love!mvmt

yeah i have... just recently =P my friends asked me what elective i was taking next year and i told them i was going to take Japanese and they asked me if i was Japanese or something. -__-^ i thought they knew me by noww~

Guest RockStar17

I'm taking French in school. No one's asked me if I'm part French just because I'm taking it. They've only asked "Why are you taking French? Why aren't you taking Spanish like all the other Asians?"

Guest wr3ck3dd

lol i've only taken Mandarin (College) and Spanish (High School)... and I'm a taiwanese guy... so noone has ever asked me if i'm part hispanic or anything lol -.-

Guest Bonnie

yeah, they are so stupid.

they ask me "are you spanish?"

like of course not. do i look spanish?

i know i can be spanish but still..

so weird ._.

-Bee.

Guest chocopocky

Haha. When I took Spanish, no one asked me that.. but they have asked why didn't I go take French or Latin like all of the other nerdy little goody Asians before! :(

Guest mangchilo

When I was taking Spanish I did get asked sometimes if I was part Hispanic or something even though it's a really common language to study in high school in the States, but I've never been asked if I'm part Korean since I started studying Korean. I think because it's more visually obvious, so I've been asked a million times why I'm studying Korean but never if I am Korean.

Guest missdevotional

Ooh... I got that when I started to learn Cantonese... but I am chinese, so I don't know if that counts.

But in my school, everyone is forced to take French and Spanish/German until GCSE year...

Guest Rhapsodyy

but I've never been asked if I'm part Korean since I started studying Korean. I think because it's more visually obvious, so I've been asked a million times why I'm studying Korean but never if I am Korean.

Same here haha. When I was taking french no one asked if I was part french, because I lived in Ontario [Canada], and it was mandatory to take french until grade 9. So when I took it after grade 9 everyone was like "Why are you still taking french? ew haha".

But for Korean, I definately never have been asked if I'm part Korean haha. They're just like "You're taking Korean? o___0 Why?" Like joogrlpekaun said, visually it's pretty much extremely obvious I am neither Korean, nor Asian at all, sooo never been asked that haha

Guest lilaznhunnie

When I'm in my korean class, people just assume that I'm korean.

When I'm in my chinese class, people just assume that I'm chinese.

No one has asked me, they just assume. :)

Guest jaeisDBSKlove

I'm Caucasian, but i'm learning Japanese.

and i still get those occasionally people asking me if i am Japanese T.T

Archived