Online Dating, Asian-American women?

Guest anonemous

Guest anonemous

So I am trying to get the hang out of online dating, I haven't used it before and now I'm getting the feeling that I caught onto it pretty late - 4+ year relationship ended for me earlier this year (half ldr, half other issues with economy stuff I won't get into). Seems like online dating has changed a ton from what I've seen about it back in 2006-2008ish. Some preface: I'm an asian born in america, but strongly integrated with Chinese (and a slight little bit) of Korean cultural customs.
Anyway, recently (read as earlier this week) I got to talk to someone I might be interested in, but I'm not sure if I can tell if she is interested in me. FYI, some background is that I'm in my early 30s. I can already establish that she's probably not an axe-murderer waiting in disguise and I could try getting to know her on a more personal level. Her basics and 411 already seem great, something I wouldn't mind finding a potential partner with.
I'm just curious how/what are some telltale tips or signs I can read into her interest into me?
I recognize this is not a typical online forum, which is why I elected to post here instead of some random place - I think asians/asian americans may have a different thinking process due to our cultural norms. Yeah, I know it's not a one size fit all generic statement.
I'm also feeling a little guilty (or low confidence?) about taking too much of her time. Due to:
One side of me is thinking she's probably like 80-90% of the other women out there looking for someone who is already settled down, has a great career going on, which I'm still working on. The other side is thinking I need to man up and stop being a beta, turn into an alpha or I miss the opportunity, blah blah, but I don't want to come off as too "dependent/needy", so on. It's just very confusing with the nature of online dating customs and advice given these days.
So what do you have to suggest? I'm just curious for my own personal benefit, but I could use another perspective or two. Just so you know in advance, I'll appreciate the context your posts even if it's just criticism, because it can probably only get me to know myself better.

I suggest you get more dating experience... like with real people, I know you're already "getting there", but I think that you should do that instead of online stuff. I think you need to experience a little more, get out there and get rejected a few times, find out what women are actually looking for, whether or not your insecurities are worth being insecure about (such as the stuff you mentioned in your second paragraph)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest orchidlover

anonemous said: So I am trying to get the hang out of online dating, I haven't used it before and now I'm getting the feeling that I caught onto it pretty late - 4+ year relationship ended for me earlier this year (half ldr, half other issues with economy stuff I won't get into). Seems like online dating has changed a ton from what I've seen about it back in 2006-2008ish. Some preface: I'm an asian born in america, but strongly integrated with Chinese (and a slight little bit) of Korean cultural customs.
Anyway, recently (read as earlier this week) I got to talk to someone I might be interested in, but I'm not sure if I can tell if she is interested in me. FYI, some background is that I'm in my early 30s. I can already establish that she's probably not an axe-murderer waiting in disguise and I could try getting to know her on a more personal level. Her basics and 411 already seem great, something I wouldn't mind finding a potential partner with.
I'm just curious how/what are some telltale tips or signs I can read into her interest into me?
I recognize this is not a typical online forum, which is why I elected to post here instead of some random place - I think asians/asian americans may have a different thinking process due to our cultural norms. Yeah, I know it's not a one size fit all generic statement.
I'm also feeling a little guilty (or low confidence?) about taking too much of her time. Due to:
One side of me is thinking she's probably like 80-90% of the other women out there looking for someone who is already settled down, has a great career going on, which I'm still working on. The other side is thinking I need to man up and stop being a beta, turn into an alpha or I miss the opportunity, blah blah, but I don't want to come off as too "dependent/needy", so on. It's just very confusing with the nature of online dating customs and advice given these days.
So what do you have to suggest? I'm just curious for my own personal benefit, but I could use another perspective or two. Just so you know in advance, I'll appreciate the context your posts even if it's just criticism, because it can probably only get me to know myself better.

Archived