Samsung Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6

Guest AmoreS2

Guest AmoreS2

Firstly introducing the Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung's newest phone being released in April 10, 2015

"Metals will flow. Beauty will be powerful. 

Borders will disappear. Reflections will be free. 

Colors will live. The future will be the present.”

maxresdefault.jpg

MUST WATCH VIDEO

Galaxy_S6_Edgevsi_Phone6.png

Before we get started, I am going to talk about the Galaxy S6 first since it's a new phone that can be pre-ordered from tomorrow or today (depending which part of the US you're from) in the US. 
The new Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are up for pre-orders in the US tomorrow (or today). 
Disclaimer: I am not a Samsung employee. I am a university student who is interested in smartphones. I currently own an iPhone 5 and Macbook Air so I have no particular preference. I just buy whatever I like. I am highly considering changing my iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge (most likely the S6 Edge). The Galaxy S6 Edge looks so attractive. Looks so much better than the iPhone 6 in my honest opinion. 
Samsung uses metal for Galaxy S6/ S6 Edge
The biggest change to the new Galaxy S6 from the Galaxy S5 is that the new Galaxy S6 has a metal and glass build as opposed to the plastic build of previous Galaxy smartphones. SM-G925FZWAPHN-52-0.jpg

New technology found on the Galaxy S6 that is not in other smartphones

Also the new Galaxy S6 uses a new 14nm Exynos 7420 CPU which is the most advanced mobile CPU in the world. Actually Samsung is the first company to make a 14nm mobile processor, ahead of Intel. 
And the Galaxy S6 is the only smartphone with ultra fast UFS flash memory, which means everything on the phone will load faster than other phones. The UFS flash memory is analogous to an SSD drive. Standard flash memory found in other phones are like traditional hard drives. So UFS flash, like SSDs, are much faster than traditional flash memory types. 

The Galaxy S6 also comes with wireless charging out of the box, which means you don't need to plug in your charger to charge the phone. It can charge wirelessly at any place. 
Also the Galaxy S6 has a feature called fast charging which means you can get 30% extra battery life from just a 10 minute charge. That's about 5X faster than the iPhone 6. 

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_and_s6_edge_us_preorders_open_march_27-news-11688.phpAvailability
Samsung announced the availability for the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge for the United States. Quite expectedly the flagship duo will be released on April 10, while the pre-orders open tomorrow - March 27.

All US carriers will be offering the Galaxy S6 smartphone. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular and Verizon will be carrying both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, while Boost, Cricket and MetroPSC will offer the Galaxy S6 only.

AT&T will launch the 32GB Galaxy S6 for $22.84 via the AT&T Next 24 plans, while the Galaxy S6 edge will cost $27.17 on the Next 24. You can also opt for the Galaxy S6 with a 2-year contract for $200 or the Galaxy S6 edge and a 2-year agreement for $300. Contract-free prices are $685 for the Galaxy S6 and $814 for the Galaxy S6 edge.

T-Mobile's leasing plan for the Galaxy S6 has it on $28.33 for 24 months or $680 contract-free. The leasing for the Galaxy S6 edge is at $32.50 for 24 months or $780 cash commitment free.

Boost Mobile will be offering the 32GB Galaxy S6 for $650 free of contracts.

Finally, Sprint lists the 32GB Galaxy S6 for $80 per month for 2 years - device leasing and carrier services included. The 32GB Galaxy S6 edge monthly payment is a total of $85. If you are interested into the 64 or 128GB models just add $5 or $10 to those fees.

You will be also able to get Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge through various partners such as Best Buy (Samsung Experience Shops), Amazon, Costco Wholesale, Sam's Club, Target and Walmart.

According to the news, demand is so strong that Samsung has literally run out of panels.

Right now, the S6 Edge variant seems to be getting all the media hype and attention. They're aiming to boost production by 3X.

maxresdefault.jpg

I can see that girls will get white or green, these colors have an element of sophistication in them and they glass backs look like jewelry to me. 
Galaxy_S6_Edge.jpg

You can see the metal frame on the Galaxy S6 at this angle. 

Galaxy_S6_Edge1.jpg

I think the Galaxy S6 Edge looks much better than the standard Galaxy S6. And this is reflected by the very high pre-orders on the S6 Edge.
Galaxy_S6_Edge.png

New technology on the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge (technology that only the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge has):

Curved display technology (limited to Galaxy S6 Edge) - what many people have been waiting for. The technological requirements for manufacturing these displays are so heavy that Samsung was reluctant to invest in this but looks like they reached it. But there are issues with keeping up supply to meet demand. We'll see what happens.

Ultra-fast UFS flash memory. Also the memory has been bumped up to 32/64/128GB. There is no longer a 16GB version. No other phone has this, and it's a major selling point for me. The difference is supposed to be like going from a HDD to SSD on a computer.LPDDR4 RAM instead of LPDDR3. The advancements in transfer speeds is like that from DDR3 to DDR4 (maybe that's why Samsung's UI doesn't appear to lag anymore?)
14nm Exynos 7420 processor. This is literally about 2 years ahead of Qualcomm and TSMC's processors. Both Qualcomm and TSMC are stuck at 22nm... trying out 16nm

Best smartphone display according to DisplayMate (the display industry's most reliable reviewer)

2K QHD Super AMOLED display

Some negatives 

Battery has been slimmed down (although tests show that it's still above average in terms of battery life)
No more microSD slot
No more removable battery
For some, these negatives don't really matter. But for others, it may be an issue. 

Will keep on updating as more news comes out as the release date is approaching.

Anyway will you buy the Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 Edge? Why or why not? Also, feel free to comment about these 2 phones in general.

This is the biggest technology product release until the iPhone 6s/6s+ in Q3/Q4 of this year.

CPU
Samsung Galaxy S6: 14nm FinFET technology (made by Samsung)
Apple iPhone 6: 20nm FinFEt technology (made by Samsung 20% & TSMC 80%)

Display
Samsung Galaxy S6: Quad HD Super AMOLED display (made by Samsung)
Apple iPhone 6: less-than-1080p LED display (made by LG and Sharp)

RAM
Samsung Galaxy S6: 3GB LPDDR4 RAM (made by Samsung & SK Hynix) Notice this is LPDDR4 = advanced technology.

Apple iPhone 6: 1GB LPDDR3 RAM (made by Samsung and SK Hynix) Notice this is LPDDR3 (basically leftovers from Samsung and SK Hynix were sold to Apple)

Camera
Samsung Galaxy S6: 16MP rear and 5MP front cameras (made by Samsung & Sony)
Apple iPhone 6: 8MP rear and 1.2MP front cameras (made by Samsung & LG Innotek)

Samsung Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6+ camera test: 

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY8ggxCA11g (YouTube is not working on Soompi, so just copy and past the link to web browser and get rid of the space between h and t in https)

The Galaxy S6 wins hands down. The quality overall is about equal but that's because the Galaxy S6 has a wider FOV. The OIS is superior on the Galaxy S6. The sound recording and audio is also much better on the S6.

The iPhone 6/ 6+ doesn't seem to have any advantages.

The difference is even more pronounced in the front facing cameras: 

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGsvfIlzCmM (YouTube is not working on Soompi, so just copy and past the link to web browser and get rid of the space between h and t in https)

The Galaxy S6 wins in both, period.

CPU Benchmarks:

screen-shot-2015-03-03-at-8-01-49-am.png

73033.png

73032.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AmoreS2

Crunchyrunchy said: At this point I would highly recommend getting the galaxy s6. I don't know how locked down iOS is. Do you prefer the Android or iOS ecosystem?

I think that spec and hardware-wise, the Galaxy s6 is better.

Guest AmoreS2

Very technically detailed review of the Galaxy S6:http://laptopmedia.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s6-review-a-bunch-of-innovations-in-a-beautiful-body/

Main points:

• Battery life on the Galaxy S6 is better than iPhone 6 but slightly worse than Galaxy Note 4. 
  • The Galaxy S6's screen is the best smartphone screen
  • The Galaxy S6's CPU is about 30% faster than iPhone 6's CPU
  • Color accuracy on the Galaxy S6 is better than the iPhone 6 
  • The viewing angles on the Galaxy S6 is good with color shift being unnoticeable

Guest IchibanIppai

It looks really pretty ~ I really like the glass design. I like glass better than aluminum metal. 
I have an iPhone 5s but I want a new phone. I don't like how the metal on the iPhones gets cold in cold weather :(
Do you think I should get the Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge? My boyfriend says he's getting the S6 Edge. Or should I get Sony Xperia Z3?

Guest stryker273

Versus?
Why does there have to be a competition. 
Both phones have their strengths and weaknesses. But I love my iPhone 6. :D

Guest AmoreS2

IchibanIppai said: It looks really pretty ~ I really like the glass design. I like glass better than aluminum metal. 
I have an iPhone 5s but I want a new phone. I don't like how the metal on the iPhones gets cold in cold weather :(
Do you think I should get the Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge? My boyfriend says he's getting the S6 Edge. Or should I get Sony Xperia Z3?

Guest IchibanIppai

AmoreS2 said:

IchibanIppai said: It looks really pretty ~ I really like the glass design. I like glass better than aluminum metal. 

Guest AmoreS2

IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said:

Guest IchibanIppai

AmoreS2 said: IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said:

Guest IchibanIppai

Oh yeah and 1 more question:
How good is the camera on the Galaxy S6?
I like taking a lot of photos on my phone. I need the best camera for my phone. (★^O^★)I have a DSLR but I don't like carrying it around... it's too heavy. 

Guest AmoreS2

IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said: IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said:

Guest anonemous

iPhone 6 for simple users. S6 for advanced people who like to do more than just point and click. That's how I recommend phones based on people's personalities. It's like recommending cars, it all depends on the person.

Guest IchibanIppai

AmoreS2 said: IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said: IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said:

Guest AmoreS2

IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said: IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said: IchibanIppai said: AmoreS2 said:

Guest AmoreS2

Crunchyrunchy said: anonemous_stv said: iPhone 6 for simple users. S6 for advanced people who like to do more than just point and click. That's how I recommend phones based on people's personalities. It's like recommending cars, it all depends on the person.

Archived