Do you get along with your family (including your uncles,aunts, cousins...)?

MissAria

Not at all.At first, I thought family is untouchable, that we will always love and help each other. I was wrong. There is competition of whose child is better, but this is what uncles,aunts, or even your parents do, they compare their children, they make you feel pressured to be better. 
However, that is not all, in my family. They are double-faced and hypocrites. Once you don't look at them, they stare at you. Once you are not there, they talk on your back, and bring everything they can poke fun of, or make you look bad. 
When I discovered that, I was really sad, and I decided to not talk with them anymore. They never contacted me anyways. Long story that I will not share. 
When my grandma was sick, we met again because we were all visiting grandma. Of course, we pretended that nothing was wrong in our family, but I didn't want to tell them that I didn't find a job related to my studies. I didn't want to show them my weakness, I didn't want them to mock me. 
I felt family is not a family anymore. They are like friends that come and go, and can become your enemy. Since then, I find that my friends are really precious. I found people that are not backstabbing me. However, I still feel lonely... My friends have their own life and priorities. We don't see each other often. 

Only my sister. I've stopped talking to my family since two years ago, starting with my mother since 2008 (because she did something I would never ever forgive her for, and I don't really want to say what it is, so please don't ask).

My family is a bunch of conservative racist/homophobe/insert other sexual minority-phobe. No, they're not white, they're Asian. They, especially my aunt, pride themselves on the model minority stereotype that hard work = getting a high paying job = earn lots of money, ignoring the fact that there are a lot of people who are hard-working yet aren't able to get high paying job. They also like to make fun of me in front of my face, make me feel invalidated and worthless, and treat me as if I'm still 10. Also, one of my uncles used to physically abuse me from time to time when I was a kid.

I'm in a very similar situation, especially among my dad side of the family (all of my mom's relatives doesn't live in the US) and my mom always complains about how messed up the relatives from my dad's side are {even my parents themselves have major problems getting along}. They're pretty much what you described your relatives as basically: comparing, competition, gossip/say bad things behind your back, etc. But the only difference is, my relatives only doesn't get along with my family, they're actually fine among each other (still two-faced but at least they fake it upfront and are willing to help each other a little more than with our family). This has to do with my dad, both of my elder uncles don't get along with my dad (personality differences), they don't like my dad, so naturally my aunts/uncles/cousins are really distant from my family. When my grandpa was alive, he used to host yearly get-togethers and we'd all join, but after he passed away we've never seen each other ever since. I have a younger brother and we both love each other dearly and couldn't be better; we never had a fight past our teen years (13 for me and 8 for him, since I am 5 years older than him), but not that we don't get along with our parents, they just don't understand us and we don't talk much either.

I feel problems like this is very common among Asians; when you tell them you have family issues, 100% of my Asian friends would agree they're in a similar situation, while 95% of my Caucasian friends were rather shocked. I'm not saying this doesn't occur with other ethnic groups, but it is most prominent among Asians. I think it's just how they're brought up and Asian families always tell their kids to find a job that makes a lot of money, higher competition, and likes to compare/gloat about how well their kids are doing, while most non-Asian families just want you to have a stable job, living life to the fullest, simpler but happy with what they have; Asian always seem to be fighting for higher social status, while (obviously) Caucasians doesn't struggle with that issue in the US hence why there are more pride-issues among Asians always comparing, hating/putting down each other. Even among my Asian friends from university when we get-together there is always this one person that has to bring up the topic of comparing jobs/salaries, and I can tell everyone else was uncomfortable with the discussion seeing their facial reactions. It is true that finding a good friend is extremely hard, especially if you live in bigger cities where people tend to be more superficial. Up until now I've had zero close friends, just friends on acquaintance level but I feel I'm living a self-sufficient and happy life and that's all that matters; like you said eventually friendships will fade when we find our spouses and start/focus on our family.

Archived