[Drama 2015] Scholar Who Walks the Night 밤을 걷는 선비

Guest yeohweping

Guest yeohweping

Viki-Presented-By-Banner.png

Angel-Eyes.png

Date of airing : 8th July 2015

Broadcasting station : MBC

Time of airing : 10:00 pm (Weds/Thurs) (korean time)

밤을 걷는 선비

Official site : http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/sunbi/index.html

Official eng site : http://content.mbc.co.kr/program/drama/2631440_64285.html

Writer : 장현주 Jang Hyun Joo

PD : 이성준 Lee Sung Joon

Eps: 20 eps (70 mins each)

Main Leads : Lee Jun Ki, Lee Yoo Bi

Second leads : Kim So Eun, Shim Chang Min, Lee Soo Hyuk, Jang Hee Jin

Supporting Cast : Yeo Eui Joo, Park So Young, Choi Tae Hwan, Lee Soon Jae, Kim Myung Gun, Song Jong Hyuk,

Jung Gyu Soo, Jung Seok Yong, Oh Yoon Hong

Special appearance : Lee Hyun Woo

Licensed Streaming : Viki

기사이미지

Story : Jo Yang Seon (Lee Yoo Bi) whose family had been living the lives of comfort until her father who was once a high-ranking court officer was falsely accused of treason. Having fallen from grace, she has to disguise as a man to sell books at night to scape a living for her family. She encounters Kim Sung Yeol (Lee Jun Ki) coincidentally one day when she was attacked by vampires who are attracted to the sweet scent of her blood and befriends him and his friends thinking that they are a special task force guards against the creatures of the night without realizing that they are vampires as well. The fight between the good and bad vampires becomes more intensified with the appearance of the fallen noble man's daughter whose fragrance blood is the fatal attraction of all vampires.

Choi Hye Ryung (Kim So Eun) , the daughter of a high-rank nobleman who is engaged to the crowned prince "Lee Yoon" (Shim Chang Min) was Lee Myung Hee, the former first love of Kim Sung Yeol in her previous life which she has no recollection of at first.

So Hyang (Jang Hee Jin), the top Giseang whom Kim Sung Yeol had adopted as a cover and taken care of for years, turns to the dark side when she finds her affections for Sung Yeol being rebuked and is turned into a vampire by "Gwi" (Lee Soo Hyuk), Sung Yeol's biggest enemy who is a dangerous vampire living within the shadows of the palace and controlling the royal family behind the screens.

==============

Soompi Forum Rules K-drama & Movies Sub Forum Rules 
Do not post any requests for subs. Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Do not quote images or videos.Do not post unrelated gifs or pictures to this drama thread. 01. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, Youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the moderators.05. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the moderators for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

====================

Links

Dramabeans Recap

Nate news link

Aja Aja's DL links (Raw + OST) for members only

Korean Wiki (Check here for ratings)

Recaps from Dramabeans

Official Baidu site

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Jun Ki already confirmed? If so then I'm gonna watch this... I've been patiently waiting for this drama.. When I heard that it might be offered to Hae Jin and Soo Hyun it got my attention already...but I'm so happy that Lee Jun Ki landed the role.. Ahh!, I hope the female lead is already a hallyu actress.. I'll follow this thread from now on..

@yeohweping,  Thank You I'm LJK biggest fan.. @i.am.bugz.funny,  So far it hasn't bee n confirm but most likely he will take.. He will be playing the role of a vampire scholar just love it..  @OlgaT look who's coming our way and playing the role of a vampire the most handsome vampire today.. Can't wait to see what you will do with his pic's set in the Joseon era wow I'm excited just thinking about it I hope he has martial arts scenes to ..  I think I'll summons the JG gang here and pray he takes it..  

Lee Joon Ki Offered Lead Role In 'The Scholar Who Walks The Night'

ljk1.jpg

OSEN - Naver: Lee Joon Ki, strong candidate as the male lead for 'The Scholar Who Walks the Night' 

1. [+1248, -71] As expected, Lee Joon Ki makes his comeback in a sageuk. Iljimae, Arang and the Magistrate, Joseon Gunman.. He's the best when it comes to sageuks like this. I'm so excited for TSWWTN.

2. [+1139, -92] I'm all for Lee Joon Ki as the male lead but if Han Groo is the female lead, I feel like this drama's gonna get ruined

3. [+768, -38] I haven't read the original but I think he really suits the role of a Joseon vampire ㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+593, -42] You can trust Lee Joon Ki

5. [+121, -6] Not Han Groo please

6. [+105, -3] Lee Joon Ki must really like traditional dramas. He was the best in 'The King and the Clown' and 'Iljimae'. When the news was released about Han Groo being offered the female lead, I had a feeling they would cast Lee Joon Ki. But they don't match

7. [+89, -5] So, only Han Groo was offered the female lead role?

8. [+63, -9] Ooooh. The role really suits him

9. [+41, 0] Please pick another female lead

Lee Joon Gi is positively considering MBC TV drama ‘Scholar Who Walks the Night’

58396-309127-540x811.jpg

It has been reported that actor Lee Joon Gi has been offered the leading role for upcoming MBC TV drama ‘Scholar Who Walks the Night.’

Lee’s agency stated, “We have indeed received an offer, and are reviewing the offer.” The agency added that Lee Joon Gi was offered the leading role of the handsome vampire scholar. If Lee Joon Gi does sign on, it will mark his return to the small screen after a ten month hiatus following ‘Gunman in Joseon.’

‘Scholar Who Walks the Night’ is adapted from a popular manhwa of the same name, and is set in the Joseon Dynasty. A girl cross-dresses as a boy to sell books for a living after the downfall of her family following a conspiracy, and crosses paths with the handsome yet mysterious vampire scholar. Han Groo has been offered the female lead role, but nothing has been confirmed as yet.

The drama is scheduled to premiere sometime in July, following ‘Feeling Good.’

Lee Jun Ki and Han Groo are not confirmed to star in Scholar Who Walks the Night according to reports. The thread will be closed until further notice.

I do have a soft spot for DBSK from their days as a five-member group, and I absolutely love their voices and variety personas - yet acting seems to be an uphill battle. I'm definitely willing to give him a chance considering his achievements in Japan (although again, acting in film is different from television) - hopefully with a good director, his potential as an actor will be teased out. 

Case in point: Arang's director asked Lee Jun-ki to tone down the over acting in emotional scenes, and the result was brilliant.

Regarding the casting: According to Dramabeans' (article HERE), Changmin was offered the role of a Prince (most likely Jeongjo). Lee Jun-ki and Han Groo are still considering the offers for lead roles. It's actually the script that has me worried the most, because I've realised Jang Hyun-joo was not the main writer for Coffee Prince, and her only other major drama was...Paradise Ranch. Really, I'd much prefer to sit through mediocre acting than a half-baked story.

With all do respect i hope Changmin is not the leading man,but other addition,theys ay he'll be a prince so in the story i don't think they mentioned the hero being a prince more than sure even more him being a vampire aka living for decades,the Prince must be the one who curentelly reigns the country aka Jeongjo i think...even if i adore Han Groo if she takes teh role(which i wanted so damn badly)i will re-think if he is the lead....i want Lee Jung Ki to play the hero,he is perfect for the role...Oh boy,i was expecting this drama a lot and i'll sure be very sad if it turns out like that :((
by the way the summary of the manhwa to know what the plot is about...i've posted it also on Dramabeans when the first article of Lee JunKi was rumored so...

Synopsis

A vampire scholar and a bookseller come together to fight against a conspiracy

An authority figure Gwee who controls the Joseon dynasty behind the scene is actually a vampire. Motivated by his avarice, Gwee conspires to obstruct the crown prince’s accession to the throne.

On the other hand, there’s a righteous vampire named Seongyeol who has been living as scholar for 150 years. He has locked himself in his studies for many years, and there are rumors amongst the villagers that he’s just an old man with leprosy.

In order to hide his true identity, Seongyeol never lets a bookseller revisit his place. But he makes an exception to the rule for a smart and decisive bookseller Yangsun. Yangsun knows the bad effects of corrupt political powers from the experience of losing her parents and three older brothers in a political trap. She believes that the world can become a better place if we broaden our knowledge through books. Because she lives in a society that forbids women from working in the business, she works and dresses as a boy. But Seongyeol instantly recognizes that she’s indeed a woman, and can’t help himself from being attracted to her.

Meanwhile, the villagers are becoming paranoid about a recent mystery murder. The authorities first believe that the death was caused by a tiger’s attack, and summon hunters for their expert advice. The hunters believe that the attacks were not made by a tiger. The first one to recognize it as a work of a vampire is the tiger hunter Hoyeon. As the vampire Gwee makes efforts to hide the crime, Hoyeon is falling into danger.

Seongyeol and Yangsun work together to fight against the vampire Gwee’s conspiracy.

Hello All, 
@livEvil,@miky88.  I so pray LJK don;t turn this role down I also think it's perfect for him he would be one of the best vampires we have seen this year so I'm really praying that these other members that are being confirmed are just in supporting roles..  

valsava said: Hello All, 
@miky88.  I so pray LJK don;t turn this role down I also think it's perfect for him he would be one of the best vampires we have seen this year so I'm really praying that these other members that are being confirmed are just in supporting roles..  

class="article_post_title entry-title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 32px; font-family: 'Playfair Display', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(72, 72, 72); padding: 0px 0px 15px; text-transform: capitalize; letter-spacing: 0.800000011920929px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Han Groo Declines 'The Scholar Who Walks The Night'hgroo.jpg

OSEN - Naver: Han Groo declines 'The Scholar Who Walks the Night'.. "A new lead is to be determined" 

1. [+776, -76] Changmin needs to pull out too

2. [+750, -81] I'm glad that Han Groo declined but what about Changmin?.. His acting in 'Athena' was more ludicrous than Gag concert

3. [+540, -56] Looking forward to this again.... And Changmin???????

4. [+473, -24] Lee Jun Ki will be the lead.. The role seems perfect for him

5. [+94, -32] You made a good decision. Honestly, the role doesn't suit her at all. But, Max Changmin was also cast? As if Yunho wasn't enough...

6. [+65, -3] See you in another drama ~ Please cast a female lead who matches with the one in the original

7. [+50, -6] What a relief. So, is Lee Jun Ki confirmed??

8. [+37, -1] Junki is really for sageuk dramas~
credit  kkuljaem

I like Han Groo a lot, she's talented from such a young age.

I hoped she would take this drama but now that she rejected, I hope they find another female lead who proved herself with equally good acting. I'm glad the netizens at least are not hating on her and acknowledge that she's talented, just maybe not for this role.

Han Groo Out for Scholar Who Walks the Night, MBC Searches For New Female Leadbyun.jpg

With the amount of positive and negative buzz around the potential casting of rising young actress Han Groo as the female lead for upcoming vampire sageuk Scholar Who Walks the Night, there’s going to be split reaction now that it’s confirmed she won’t be doing this drama. An update has been released on the casting of Night Scholar and sources confirm that Han Groo has declined the offer to be the cross-dressing Joseon heroine in love with a scholarly vampire.

To say she declined is likely the diplomatic way to save face, the unofficial reason is that MBCbasically rescinded the offer on her and is looking for a bigger name female lead. The news of her casting hasn’t been as positively received by K-netizens, it appears she’s better liked among international fans but in Korea is still considered a stretch to cast as a leading lady of a prime time drama. Casting ups and downs appear to be the norm these days, and MBC has been mired in one casting problem after another, having just secured the leads for the Hong sisters drama Feeling Good and Warm, which will air before Night Scholar.

The two male leads in discussion for this drama remain Lee Jun Ki as the male lead titular vampire scholar and Changmin of DBSK as the Crown Prince second male lead. Industry sources say these two actors are basically confirmed and the news won’t come out until the new female lead is in place. I’ve heard some actress names being floated around for the female lead now that Han Groo is out and all are in their twenties.

cr: koalasplayground

Archived