Iowa woman's stomach pains leads to newborn baby

sugarplum892

Iowa-woman-baby-0315.jpg

An Iowa woman suffering stomach pains earlier this week, who decided to take a shower to ease her discomfort, ended up with a newborn baby.

Brittany Young, 24, told the Des Moines Register that she knew she was pregnant and had recurring stomach pains Wednesday. However, Young could have misinterpreted a hospital worker in December when the person told Young that she had 12 weeks left of her pregnancy rather than being 12 weeks pregnant.

"I got in the shower, not even five minutes after that, I was like, my stomach is still hurting. Not even five seconds (later), I had to push," Young said. Soon after, her daughter, Miracle, arrived, weighing 6 pounds, 8 ounces.

"This baby's eyes were open; she was just sitting there staring at me," Young said. "She didn't cry or anything. I was in shock. I was like, there's a baby here."

Women with a medical condition called precipitous labor means contractions could start a few hours before delivery, Dr. Michael Cardwell at Mercy Medical Hospital said. He said women who are already mothers could go into labor quickly. Young has three other children.

Soon after Miracle arrived, Young asked her friend to call an ambulance. Police found Young’s friend holding the infant and Young was in the shower. Both Young and Miracle were taken to the hospital.

"I've been in shock for the last couple of days, because I didn't expect a full-term baby," Young told the newspaper, adding that she didn't have clothing or diapers ready. She had gone to the hospital in January, found out she was pregnant and was told "12 weeks" by a technician. She says she likely misunderstood.

Young has tattoos with the names of her three kids and says Miracle will be added.

Guest HERMIT

Wow, incredible delivery story. Although, I would argue that making a baby in the shower is tons more enjoyable than having one in the shower.

Archived