Long Distance Relationships

Guest deflate

Guest deflate

I'm currently in a long distance relationship and honestly, it's probably one of the hardest things I've ever done so I'm just here looking for some support, some hope, some success stories, or some advice from anyone who's been in a long distance relationship or just relationships in general. 

A little background info on my situation--we met through a pharmacy school that I'm currently applying to (fingers crossed I get in so we can close the distance!) and started dating about a month later. He's in New Orleans, LA and I'm in Dallas, TX so it's about 506 miles, 8 hour car ride and 1hr 45min plane ride. We see each other once every two months if we're lucky because we're both students still and it's hard to find time and money to see each other often. It's been hard, but I'd like to say it's been worth it.

Share your stories! I want to know how other people deal with the distance because most of the time, we pretend it's not even there. 

Sorry to say. that's not really that long distance :P

My gf and I were separated by roughly 10,500km . At the time I lived in the UK while she lived in Malaysia. We saw each other 3 times in those three years before we moved in together in Australia XD

A friend of a friend lived in Guam and had a LDR with a fellow in Canberra Australia. They've now been married for well over 5 years now if I recall correctly.

A friend of mine from Perth in Western Australia met a Russian guy who was living in Texas. They've now been married for over 8 years and have a really cute boy.

I think even living in different cities is long distance. If I don't get to see them about 3 days of the week, then I'd be pretty unsatisfied. I'm unwilling to get into a long distance relationship with a girl I knew whom I was close to, not even sure if she's interested in me that way, but I'm not interested enough to find out. she may be one of the most attractive girls I have ever met, but seeing as it would be long distance if I tried to start something, it just wouldn't be worth it. I need proximity. Good luck to you in your situation. since you think it's worth it, then you just have to stick with it. if it stops being worth it, then you'll have to just stop then, there's no point in putting yourself through pain. I know breakups are hard, but you don't need to keep yourself in another unhappy situation, but that's only what if. for now, just hang in there. it might work out for the better later if you guys hold on.

Guest shooting_stars

Aw, I feel you girl! I am also in a long distance relationship. And it is super hard!

My partner and I both live in the east coast, separated by approx. 350 miles (which is a 6-8 hour drive, depending on traffic, or a roughly 1 hour plane ride). We met at a party early last year, and started officially dating 6 months after that. I had my hesitations about getting into a relationship with him because of the distance, and I was also moving to the west coast for a few months, so that deterred me even further (not to mention, all my friends were telling me not to get into a relationship before I left for the west coast, where they were sure I'd meet a ton of guys), but I eventually decided that I couldn't see myself with anyone else and we got together. He kept asking me to be his girlfriend when I was visiting him during my last week on the east coast, and I finally agreed to it a couple of days before I left! The distance in our relationship in the beginning was even longer than it is now: approx. 2,698 miles, or a 5-6 hour plane ride. Being that far away from each other, especially in the beginning of our relationship, was truly a test, because I was also gaining a lot of new, different experiences without him...but we managed to survive, and though I loved the west coast, I had to come back to the east side to finish my last semester in school. It's still long distance, but the distance is a lot smaller now so I think it became "easier" for both of us.

Since the beginning, we've always tried to see each other once a month. I'm lucky because he's already out of school and working full-time, so we're able to see each other more often (if you count once a month as often). I think for long distance relationships, it's important to always know when you're going to see each other next. So, at the end of each trip, the both of you should talk about your plans for next time. You don't have to make concrete plans, but just having a general idea of when you'll see each other next is good. (Setting up a pattern like once a month or once every other month is a good step!) It also makes saying goodbye easier...at least for me. I also think that after some time, when you feel that you guys are serious enough, you should come up with an end goal. I think most long distance relationships are more successful if you have an ultimate goal that you both can work towards (e.g., by this time, we'll both be living in this city). Also, communicate every day (even if it's something small like a simple text), because you want to feel like you're a part of each other's lives, and not like you're just on vacation whenever you finally do get to see each other...

Maybe also find a halfway point to meet sometimes (cheaper for both of you). It will be even more fun if the both of you haven't been to that place before, so you can explore a new area together! New York is our halfway point, so sometimes we'll spend a weekend there. If you have the finances and the time, maybe also plan a vacation somewhere. My friend is in a long distance relationship as well, and she tells me that something they like to do together is travel, so they always plan to meet somewhere they both haven't been to yet, and just hang out there.

If plane fare is too expensive, try finding bus services that can take you guys to where you need to go! Buses are almost always cheaper, even though they take up a lot of time. I wouldn't recommend it too often (eventually you'd be spending more time commuting to see each other than actually seeing each other), but it doesn't hurt to do once in a while! Also, learn to start looking for fares early on (like 1-3 months in advance), because prices are almost always cheaper that way (both planes and buses). Tuesdays/Wednesdays tend to be the best for travel dates by plane.

These are just a few of the things I've learned and have worked well for my relationship. Hopefully it'll work out for you! Hang in there. If you like/love him enough, it'll be worth it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chloe_addict

Hi! I'm also in a long distance relationship. Unfortunately, I can't offer success stories but hopefully people in LDR can relate to the things I'm going through. Both of us are in med students. Picking a weekend to see each other is tough because sometimes it's his exam weekend or it's mine. We are both stressed by school but we are not physically there to comfort each other. So by the time we see each other, we are drained and tired and we take out our stress on each other through passive aggressive ways. It's hard. It involves a lot of trust, communication. It sucks when you're the person making the effort while the other puts minimal effort. You feel like you're making sacrifices and become bitter towards him without meaning to. And in the end, you ask yourself...is that person worth it to you? Or have you stopped living your life because you are too busy making this relationship work?

Guest zoodeef_stv

A friend of a friend lived in Guam and had a LDR with a fellow in Canberra Australia. They've now been married for well over 5 years now if I recall correctly.

__________________________asd

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Seruu

I have been for a long time in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend. He is korean, I'm french so it was not easy for us to meet during the first years. 
Eventually he came to France to live with me for two years and then I chosed to move to Korea to live with him. It's been 7 years since we met and it's still working so I guess you can call it a success love story ^^
Cheer up

Guest Glaydays

I think if there is enough love and care, there shouldn't be any problem in long distance relationship. But I don't think that this situation should go on for very long period. Eventually you need to find a way to stay at one place and change the status of your relationship. Long distance relationship for a very long time is not often successful. 

• 1 month later...

never been in a LDR before so I cannot share any story at all to begin with.

and if you consider 1 hr away as long distance lol even still we dont see each other often (havnt seen each other for 2 weeks now

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest mahendar

Its hard to find money when you are in studies and there is no time for you also.you have to control your feelings for some time till you get holidays.

Archived