Being married to someone you're not physically attracted to

Guest Velstadt

Guest Velstadt

I just had a friend confide in me that he wants out of a marriage because he doesn't find his wife physically attractive (she's kind of short and chubby). In fact, he never found her physically attractive at all but decided to propose to her. Wtf? They have been married for almost 2 years.

I told him the harsh truth that he was a jerk because 1) why did you even get married to someone he didn't find physically attractive, and 2) why divorce now that he has a kid to take care of. 

I'm having to meet him tomorrow to discuss business plans but I can't have the courage to see him face to face because now I think he's a jerkoff. I also want to tell him certain things but I think this will end our friendship and business partnership. What should I do?

This is why friends can't coexist as business partners. Too much drama that wouldn't necessarily be "drama" if it weren't for the professional relationship. What do you value more? The potential of success with the partnership or your friendship?

Your friend does not sound very nice. However, if getting a divorce will make both side happier, I think that may be a better option.

If you think you are up for it, perhaps you can still ask questions to help explore this and hopefully by doing this, it will help clear up the situation for him and you. However, if you think this will only lead to the end of the friendship and business relationship, it may be best to leave it.

what a jerk !! 

have you ever explore the reason to his decision? Maybe something has happened that makes him came to this conclusion. Even still, if both or him is not happy with the marriage then it is better to file for divorce and for him to pay a lots for child support

• 2 weeks later...

@Velstadt I think you have the right to feel disappointed in your friend. But let me also state that I do think that the problem he is facing might be more complicated than that.

I personally have a friend who wasn't attracted to his/her partner, but still got married to the partner. Why? Because love is more than physical attraction. The couple was extremely close as friends and were very much in love. The physical attraction just lacked. They've had a very good marriage and have a child together. Unfortunately, at some point the physical attraction issue did become a problem for them as well, and they've been struggling with it since then.

In my opinion, maybe your friend just has realized that being the best of friends isn't enough for him (even though because of love he initially thought it would be enough). Physical attraction is important in most relationships, and it might be better for the couple to split up before the relationship becomes so strained it affects the child.

I'm sure your friend would need some support in this situation and have someone he can confide in. I'm sure he's very unhappy in this situation, as well, and having a friend like you would probably help him greatly during these tough times.

Hi,
Your friend is doing the right thing.He should leave his wife and find a hotter woman. A guy needs to feel the urge to bang his wife.
IMO, you should cut ties with your friend as business partners - he is incredibly stupid to marry a woman who he has never found physically attractive. You shouldn't do business with stupid people.
Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

just put the wife on a diet so that she will become hot.
better to become hot after getting married... then to be hot before and loose it after.

on a more serious note, tell him to man up and be loyal to his original resolve and conviction.

• 1 month later...

Business is business , social life is social life, they are two separate things. @Velstadt i assume you are a lady for not being able to compartmentalise your emotions, stimulus,rationale(logic) and information instead of linking it all together. Either that or he must not be a good business partner altogether.

Archived