Beauty inside and out, plastic surgery and makeup

MissAria

How many times we all hear and believe that what is important is the personality, the beauty inside the person and it is not the outer appearance.

I think that it is true that personality is important more than the physical appearance.

However, from what I see, both counts in general (personality and physical beauty). What makes the difference between just a friend and a girlfriend or boyfriend is the physical attractiveness (this is what I think you can discuss about it). 

Every time, I talk with my girl friends or hear guys conversation about their crushes or that friend who is dating somebody new; they will start to compliment or criticize the appearance. In some cases, friends or even family members would say : She or he is not beautiful, I don't understand why he or she is attracted to that person. Well, this is what they see first the physical appearance. Maybe they date because they love each other and that physical appearance doesn't matter to them. It's like THEY FORGET ABOUT THIS FACT EVERY TIME !

What if one day, you date someone, then you realise he or she had plastic surgery and that person really look different from before. 

What if that person looks totally different after removing her makeup?

Would you feel less attracted to that person and rather date someone that you find attractive naturally?

I just want to know your opinions.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people forget that attraction is purely subjective. i am positive that most people fall for someone based on physical attraction by their very own standard. it doesnt help when many people are at the same time seeking or in need of validation from their peers.

Yes, I absolutely agree that you must find the person physically attractive + compatible personalities in order to take it a step further. Now they don't have to be drop dead gorgeous, but you just have to find them physically appealing in someway. But I feel that people with positive and attractive personalities, many others will find them also physically attractive, to a certain extent; like let's say they're already above average in looks + a great personality, will just make them seem even more attractive. For example, let's say a guy is a 9/10 in terms of physical appearance but they're kind of arrogant/snotty, naturally even though yes he does have a good-looking appearance but because of their personality, you'll find them rather repelling. There is this male friend of mine, at first when I saw a picture of him with a bunch of my friends on Facebook, I didn't find his looks attractive of any sort (at the time when I didn't know him). But after I got to know him, because of his personality, over time his physical appearance grew on me and I found him to be very attractive physical appearance wise too.

I believe that our personalities does contribute to our overall physical attractiveness because of certain mentality/emotions and facial gestures we do all requires our cells to align in a certain way, and if we do it often over time it will become froze-in to our faces and give off our individual unique first-impression to others. Hence why some people could be still very attractive to others although not having desired eyes/nose/lips/face-shape society considers "attractive" but somehow you just find them appealing. 

As to plastic surgery, plastic surgery can help enhance your looks but I sincerely feel that you need to have an attractive personality for others to find you appealing, otherwise people will just see you as an eye-candy instead of wanting to get to know you for who you are. I'm sure others have had this experience where you come across two females with equal attractiveness (both pretty in their own ways), but somehow you find one of them to be more interesting/or there's one of them that you rather want to get to know more.

I disagree with what u said here.. "What makes the difference between just a friend and a girlfriend or boyfriend is the physical attractiveness"

There could be certain personality traits that are deemed attractive by certain people and some people would date eachother based on personality alone.. so I don't think the sole difference between a friend and gf/bf is physical appearance. I'm not saying I would date someone who's personality alone is attractive to me, because I honestly don't think I will.. but I also wouldn't date someone who has the looks alone and no attractive personality traits.

As for ur questions..

I would still date that someone if I found out he (I'm a girl) had plastic surgery.. people having plastic surgery never bothered me.. even if it's my significant other. I don't mind.

Umm.. I wouldn't date a guy who wears make up! ahaha

For your last question.. hm.. yea I'd probably find that person somewhat less attractive as his appearance is not natural but I certainly wouldn't dump him and look for someone else who's physically attractive without plastic surgery. Like I said, I don't mind if my bf has had plastic surgery.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RitaKim19

I live in Korea where plastic surgery has become sooo common.
I think it depends on the plastic surgery they had done, 1. if it is breast, i think both men and women will like even though it is not real (I witnessed my friend who had boob jobs, and it was amazing! so natural and big! like what everybody dreams of)
2. if it is eyes (double eyelids).. it is soooo common here! as common as going to the dentist! my co-workers, my team leaders, almost everyone has done it. and it is true they are prettier than when they have monolids. My point is that having double eyelid surgery is not a big deal3. if it is nose..  or jaw.. maybe the surgery will make you look 100% different. Than it is another topic to discuss. 
In this modern time, I dont think that being prettier using faster way is a sin. Everyone deserves to be happy, aren't they?
So if you happened to find out that your GF or BF is somewhat fake than it is fully yours to decide.
I would suggest finding out the reason first why your BF or GF did it. Some person decided to do it because they were really depressed with their appearance and they might also have health problem. So dont judge! ask the reason, try to understand~
Hope it helps~

Well, of course people would comment on the looks first and foremost. They don't know that person's personality and they can't see the "beauty within" first. I can't see somebody's inner beauty when I first meet them, I only see what's on the outside, their facial features, etc.

Then you slowly find out about that person. Is he kind to other people? Is he smart? Is he an animal person?

Looks are only one part of being attracted to somebody.

To answer your last 3 questions, I would have to say that I don't mind if they had plastic surgery (as long as they look natural). I do have a problem with make-up on a guy since I want to see that person's real make-up less face. No, I wouldn't dump that person since I hide my real face with make-up, too.

• 9 months later...

Korea #1 in suicides and mental health problems

http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/MMHC-Country-Press-Note-Korea.pdf

http://www.koreatimesus.com/11-years-in-a-row-south-korea-is-no-1-in-suicide-rate-among-oecd-countries/

Plastic surgery = mental health problem; body dysmorphic disorder, borderline personality disorder, narcissism, Histrionic personality disorder, abusive parents, abusive culture, abusive men

^thats a pretty shitty reason to dump someone. dont know about accepting someone who has undergone plastic surgery means that youre reinforcing mental health problems (lol?). but i know that rejecting someone because of plastic surgery means that you have no care for people who are in need of help, if they do indeed have mental problems as suggested.

id say shes dodged a bullet.

5 hours ago, fly2moon said:

As a "Western" male, I refuse to be with anyone that has had plastic surgery. Most white men feel the same way. Only people who dont care about the other person want someone to get plastic surgery, for selfish image reasons. They are very superficial and narcissitic.

I was planning to marry a Japanese girl. Then she went and had eye lid surgery, "to make herself look prettier". I instantly dumped her. People who do this type of thing have "body dysmorphic disorder" and / or narcissim (really bad). If you can't love yourself then you can't love someone else, is the white guys way of thinking. You should love your own body, never alter your naturalness with barbaric practices.

And any guy that doesn't know the difference between a girl with makeup and without is an idiot, and not mature enough for a relationship.

Beauty is subjective. Popular western saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Plenty of people said my Japanese girlfriend was "plain" without makeup (mostly other Asians at school). I don't care what they think. She was beautiful without her makeup (until she butchered herself)

If you think you need plastic surgery, you have a mental problem. Accepting someone who got plastic surgery is reinforcing their mental health problem. Stop caring about what other people say, they only want to bring you down and stop you from being truly happy inside. In western culture, plastic surgery is highly frowned upon.

I'm sorry, I couldn't tell, are you White?

Guest severus
7 hours ago, fly2moon said:

As a "Western" male, I refuse to be with anyone that has had plastic surgery. Most white men feel the same way. Only people who dont care about the other person want someone to get plastic surgery, for selfish image reasons. They are very superficial and narcissitic.

I was planning to marry a Japanese girl. Then she went and had eye lid surgery, "to make herself look prettier". I instantly dumped her. People who do this type of thing have "body dysmorphic disorder" and / or narcissim (really bad). If you can't love yourself then you can't love someone else, is the white guys way of thinking. You should love your own body, never alter your naturalness with barbaric practices.

And any guy that doesn't know the difference between a girl with makeup and without is an idiot, and not mature enough for a relationship.

Beauty is subjective. Popular western saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Plenty of people said my Japanese girlfriend was "plain" without makeup (mostly other Asians at school). I don't care what they think. She was beautiful without her makeup (until she butchered herself)

If you think you need plastic surgery, you have a mental problem. Accepting someone who got plastic surgery is reinforcing their mental health problem. Stop caring about what other people say, they only want to bring you down and stop you from being truly happy inside. In western culture, plastic surgery is highly frowned upon.

I feel like @livingforhistory may have some insight on Asian women undergoing plastic surgery in the Western Hemisphere. 

13 hours ago, fly2moon said:

Actually it does reinforce their mental health problem, because it says "you don't really care" and "accept" what they did. Problem is, she didn't self-reflect on her behavior, and 2 years later, after a couple more BFs, her parents forced her into a clinic and she was diagnosed with a borderline personality with BDD after a few quasi suicide attempts.

confirmed. she dodged a bullet.

17 minutes ago, frenchtutor said:

*grabs korean popcorn

lol (^^)b

don't bother. i dont even know what this site is, just made a comment here after an asian friend ask me to comment here as to why white guys dont date asian girls with double eyelids and tear bag surgery ect at an aussie uni. so im turning my email sub off. that dude will just keep trolling for attention

lol. chill fly2moon. its okay. no need to get all agro. youve totally missed my point. surely a person who cares would not inadvertently reject a friend in need, especially one who is supposedly suffering from mental illness. to flat out dump someone with such a narrow minded view, how are we suppose to think?

its funny. i actually suspect youre the one trolling, as no one can be that shameful. this is coming from a lonely old pervert with a gambling problem who only lives to have casual sex with sluttly women in bars. but a regular user of social media? im insulted.

Hi zantac or rather, the other me, perhaps I'm the other you.

2 hours ago, fly2moon said:

1. he tried to insult me

2 my rebuttal to his argument: "Actually it does reinforce their mental health problem..."

3. his response was only: "confirmed. she dodged a bullet." = ad hominem

4. my response: using his own words to explain what type of person he his

5. your comment with my response below

let's have a look at your comment history (using preview lines) for 1 minute. oh damn, look at this, you talk about "richard simmons" as much as he does. you both live in australia. you both troll other users. you both talk about looking like a "crab serial killer" whatever that is. and you are both around the same age. with the same hobbies.

so much repeated behavior. are you related, are you friends, or are you one and the same person?

considering zantac_2 appears to have a dark triad personality, and i stated i would turn his notifications off so i couldnt be informed of his replies, and then you come in with a very similar comment history to him, i'd say there is a good chance you are an internet sock-puppet to bypass being "blocked" by people. because that's something dark triad people do

just so you can get your comment noticed by me, you log into your sock-puppet account.
there is a chance that isnt the case, but it's a slim one, because your comment history echoes each other. oh daaaaamn boy. maybe just dark-triad buddies eh? both videogame and AV addicts? eh? am I close. yeah i think lol

I like your conspiracy theory, do continue, I haven't been amused, perhaps bemused is the word, by a forum post in quite some time. 

4 hours ago, fly2moon said:

lol (^^)b

don't bother. i dont even know what this site is, just made a comment here after an asian friend ask me to comment here as to why white guys dont date asian girls with double eyelids and tear bag surgery ect at an aussie uni. so im turning my email sub off. that dude will just keep trolling for attention

He must look up to you so much. Hoping one day, he too can be White.

5 hours ago, fly2moon said:

lol (^^)b

Obviously you got so much time on your hand to start trashing on Zantac because of the things you point out, you're the one trolling for attention talking about dark triad?  Just because you're white doesn't allow you to be disrespect other because he's asian. And also its sad how you can dump a girl you're about to marry because of how "white people " do things.  Before you speak for others which already sounds horrible , think about it. Throwing out how white people do that and how white people do this is beyond pathetic. Stop hiding behind others and owe up to you're own richard simmons.  

Let's talk about how you just left the woman of your life because of plastic surgery. If you can't overcome your pride and ego please for the love of all the women on this planet don't get marry because you're selfish.

One:

Only thinking about yourself and not the other person

Second :

to many richard simmons  excuses

Three 

Attention seeker. 

Ps  feel free to read all of my post and blast back

Firstly, to answer the OP's question:

If somebody had plastic surgery and you weren't aware of it until after you've dated them, then it means that you're actually attracted to their "new" look. Believe me, because most often than not, I can tell whether somebody has had plastic surgery or not. PM if you'd like to know how I know.

To Fly2Moon:

Yes, there are rules and particular standards here because this isn't just any ordinary social media site where you can post photos of yourself and expect a million self-reassuring "like"; this is a Forum. Look up the definition of "forum" if you still don't understand. Basically, to sum it up for you in case you're too busy living your real life to search something up on the web, forums involve a lot of typing. Richard Simmons is code for a swear word. We don't like abusive language, you see (just as a Moderator if you are unsure). 

Zantac:

On 1/5/2016 at 5:38 PM, zantac_2 said:

confirmed. she dodged a bullet.

Definitely!

Archived