My sister always calls me fat and it hurts? Talking to her won't help... :/

Guest gisellaaa

Guest gisellaaa

Okay so my sister was gifted with the lucky genes of having a super high metabolism and I was gifted with having a super crappy one. She pretty much eats junk food everyday and doesn't gain a single pound (she's a skinny 95 lbs. at 5'3") while I have to constantly watch my calories and exercise a lot just to keep my weight in check (I'm 130 lbs. at 5'5"). She wears a size 0. I wear a size 6/8. 
I know I'm chubby and could lose another 20 or so pounds, but I eat clean and total less than 1000 calories a day, I run 20-30 miles a week, and I'm slowly starting to learn to love and appreciate my body instead of hating it for not being thin enough. I used to be super self-conscious and hateful towards my body (like I'd starve myself for 36 hours if I gain a pound and would inflict pain on my 'chubby' areas). 
But my younger sister puts me down all the time. Just today, I finished running 5.27 miles and beat my own personal record for pace and I was telling my family about it until my sister interjected and said, "Yeah, but you're still chubby..." which seriously hurt me. Then I said, in disbelief, "What did you say?" and she replied, "Oh nothing...." and smirked at my other family members. 
The thing is, I'm trying to lose weight and have lost 13 pounds over the last 3 months but it doesn't really show (since the first 10 or so pounds are probably water weight). The only change i notice is that my face thinned down and my waist/hips/tummy area slimmed down. I always lose weight around my stomach/hips, then my face and arms, and lastly my legs (my legs are my biggest problem areas....) - all thanks again to my shitty gene. So people can't really tell that I've lost weight since I don't wear midriff-baring clothing everyday (actually I never wear midriff wearing clothing in general). My thighs are still as fat as ever even despite the slimmed down tummy. (see pic below if you see what I mean. no changes in my thighs but all the weight from my stomach disappeared lol). 
(see before after pic for comparison to see what i mean:  ouPjv8d.png)
Whenever she puts me down its always along the lines of ".....yeah but you're still fat". Then I'd tell her that I like being curvy since it's sexy and she'll always say something equally hurtful like "But your boobs aren't big....." or "Yeah your butt is big in like a gross kind of way". It usually never bothers me since I tend to focus on the positive aspects of myself but today I worked really hard to beat my personal goal and my sister just ultimately slammed it down and killed whatever remaining confidence I have. 
I don't even feel like running anymore. I honestly love running though, I don't do it to just lose weight but also to stay healthy and clear my mind - running has basically become my 'me' time. But she's so hateful towards me and continue to point out how fat I am. She's constantly bragging how she has a thigh gap and I don't (all the weight goes to my thighs thanks again to my shitty genetics). 
Funny thing is despite being thinner than me, she can't keep up with me whenever we run together. I always have to slow my pace down and take breaks because she can't catch up. I'm better than her at almost every sport (not trying to brag but that's a fact that even she admits). I'm fatter but I'm also more athletic than her.
I just don't get why she can't be supportive or happy for me. Every single achievement I make, she always slams it down to the ground. Sometimes I don't care but other times I care. I worked really hard today and I pushed myself to my limits. I feel disgustingly fat now, I don't even think I can bring myself to look at my body anymore. I was feeling so happy but I'm so sad that she's so hateful. 
Idk what to do anymore. It's hard to ignore someone who's always constantly giving you negative feedbacks. I've talked to my parents about it and they attributed it to jealousy and that I should accept it and ignore her comments since I'm the older siblings. I just can't take it anymore. I'm moving away for college this fall and I'm going to work harder and eat less to become thinner so that when I visit home she'll be shocked that I got thin. I'm not going to be called fat again. I hate being fat. Fat is disgusting therefore I am disgusting. 

Another topic that I cannot ignore before I sleep

Wow that is a lot of change! Nothing but hard, solid work right there

I'm sorry you have to go through that. Siblings can be like that at that age, have the strength to cope with it a little bit longer.

So here's the plan for you

Find a good concrete, solid emotional support system. Your other family members, your friends, us and even yourself. There are always haters for anything you do, no matter what you do and that's fact. With a good support system, it will always keep you on check and motivate and push you to get you to your goals. YOU GOT THIS KEEP IT UP! Be stronger mentally as well, not just physically

Don't mention anything about your weight/fitness in front of your sister. Don't give her any chance to even talk about it and say those negative things. If she mentions anything about your weight again, respond with indifference. Just say "I'll get there, I'm doing my best" or "It'll take some time". If you get annoyed by it you are letting her win. Use her negativity to motivate you even more but at the same time do not be spiteful of your sister.

Also you don't have to say such negative things. You can clearly see it's not your weight or your body composition that needs to change but your sister's attitude. We all can see it and she will see it within a few years, she's just a little brat right now.

Also my tip for you is you cannot just run and eat less to lose weight. You need to do resistance training as well. Running only will burn your body fat AND muscle. Once you burn muscle, your metabolism slows down therefore you cannot eat as much as you did before resulting in more weight gain. There's a lot of other tips but that is pretty off topic on this part of the forum. But if you do hit a peak and realize you are not losing that much weight anymore, you'll know why.

You've worked this hard, you have to keep going or all that time was for nothing. Get in the best shape of your life, prove all the haters wrong. Always be proud of your body regardless of positive or negative comments.

If none of that made you feel any better, know you have a personal trainer on site. I've worked for Bally's and currently work at Crunch in New York and I have my certifications for personal training, postrehab, weight loss, fitness nutrition, TRX, and kettlebells. You can message me any time for any advice/tips and it'll save you a lot of time since I can dispel any fitness myths and also provide you with evidence based solutions.

TAKE THAT LITTLE SISTER

Guest severus

She'll never stop calling you fat, so just shave her head in her sleep. Or sell her on Craigslist.

Source: experience dealing with a younger brother for 20 years.

tell her she'll die first despite being younger. human cells have a finite regeneration cycle. They will senesce, get old, and begin to die. people with faster metabolisms will never escape this fact. I honestly don't know if this helps, but as for myself, I also have a slow metabolism and this is usually the excuse I go with to make myself not want a quicker metabolism.

btw, I saw your pics, you look great, and I'm not just saying that, I'm reeaaaallly picky with looks so props to you.

the amt you exercise, and your eating habits, I'd say you're extremely fit and healthy. there's nothing wrong with being happy with how you are, everything's going well for you, except for your sister.

You could always come back with 

"At least I'm fit. You may be thin but you have the intelligence of a dim witted turkey and all the grace of a flat footed buffalo."

Wit always beats skinny.

If in doubt, tear them a new one, verbally

You can't control what others will say, if she's just like that then ignoring her will be the best option. At 5'5" and 130lbs I seriously don't think it's a problem, a co-worker of mine is 5'2" and she weighs about 126-128lbs but she looks really fit and slim, and no one at work ever thinks she's chubby or anything in fact they all consider her on the slim/skinny side. Some people (especially Asians) have a twisted mindset thinking skinnier=better=prettier, yes being skinny is nice but as long as you are not overweight and is healthy, that shouldn't matter. However, if you want to lose some weight and is determined to do so, you shouldn't let your sister or anyone else's negative comments get to you; if you do plan on losing weight you'll know that you're weight right now is just a temporary thing. The important thing is to be happy with your own body and have a healthy mindset.

On a side note, I stopped working out when I went to university and I weigh 141lbs @ 5'8" at my heaviest, and over the summer I did a lot of cardio workout and lost approx 25lbs. Even though I weigh about 108-115lbs nowadays my younger brother always calls me "fatty" jokingly and that never upsets me. I mean, he called me that back then, or more like always (since young age) because I used to be shorter (5'3 - 5'4" before growth spurt and weigh in the 120's and he's about 120lbs @ 5'7") and it never bothered me. I know my brother is joking around and we love each other dearly. But the point is to not care so much about these things/take it seriously and you'll realize as soon as it doesn't bother you anymore they'll stop with the comments because they know they can no longer upset you.

Guest [ knockOUT ]

I think you have a good body, very similar to mine where we are a pear shape and so we have more weight on our lower half of our body. A lot of girls envy our body types, because girls with hips and a booty are considered womanly and sexy. Looking at your picture right now, you look very fit and have progressed a lot in your weight loss. However the only thing that raises a red flag for me is that you say you only eat less than 1000 calories a day, but yet run so many miles a week. Maybe you should consider upping your calorie intake and going back to incorporating weight training into your exercise routine, I feel that you will definitely see more results in not only your weight loss but your running too.

But as your for sister, there's nothing that you can do that can change the way she talks to you. You can only let her know how hurt you feel when she says those words, but it is up to her to change. She's probably jealous of your body type even though she says otherwise, some people are insecure about being thin and bash on other people.

I honestly think you are doing a great job. Being positive and constantly staying fit. It is not a easy job and I admire your perseverance.
Best thing to do is to ignore her and walk away. As soon as she makes such a comment I would stone wall her. She sounds immature and lacks self confidence. Your sister is jealous of you and use the same "fat" comment to make your feel bad each time. It could be she is insecure herself when she compares with you in other areas, therefore she constantly outs you down and hits your where it hurts. So really, it may all be about her and not you. Hopefully she will stop being so childish as time past by. 
Surround yourself with positive people and keep doing what you are doing! 

Guest severus

If you can't sell your your sister on Craigslist... 

I don't think you realize how different your body looks in the before and after photo. Body image is something everyone struggles with once in a while, and we usually perceive ourselves to be much heavier than we really are. 

You're probably quite young and it might seem like being a little chubby is the end of the world... but you'll learn to be comfortable with yourself. It's really important to be comfortable with yourself because you can still feel like a cow weighing 90lbs. 

Just speaking from a guy's perspective, 5'5"/130 is AWESOME.

Whoa, man! You got really excited there for a second.

It seems alright to me.

I'm going to work harder and eat less to become thinner so that when I visit home she'll be shocked that I got thin. I'm not going to be called fat again. I hate being fat. Fat is disgusting therefore I am disgusting. 

Don't go there. You don't get healthy thin by eating less. You don't get healthy thin by trying to change how you look because of negative comments. You're not going on a healthy path. Think of your mental health first. What if you make it to 88 lbs and someone calls you fat because she's 85 and the same height? Are you going to go lower just because you accept what the other person says? Are you willing to risk your life on a stupid comment someone says?

I just checked the ideal weight for a woman of your height and you're fine. You're at a good weight.

You're on the extreme side of the negative self-image stuff you see on television a lot now. The reason why there are a lot of campaigns out there preventing this kind of thing is because it's easier to stop when you look at how it affects other people and how it could affect you. Remember that all this size 0, 90 lbs, bone-thin legs stuff doesn't apply to you. As long as you are eating well and exercising regularly, don't worry about what else you need to do physically. Just think about how bad things can get if you change yourself just to stop stupid comments.

Guest IMFILTEROFF

Your problem is simple! You care to much about your sister's opinion, the simple way to not get hurt because of such criticisms from your sister? You just need to not care! I don't get why some people just don't ignore insignificant opinions, but if she does it because she thinks that you should lose weight for your health, than you should do someting about it! Try some sports like soccer etc

We can always "be better" at some things but you know, be happy with yourself and don't push yourself too hard. Looking the way society expects you results in one thing: you getting sick, whether it be physiologically sick or psychologically sick. 

We can always "be better" at some things but you know, be happy with yourself and don't push yourself too hard. Looking the way society expects you results in one thing: you getting sick, whether it be physiologically sick or psychologically sick. 

I concur.  You don't need your sister's approval or even indifference in this matter.  If it's not likely that someone in her social circle is giving her snide comments on her physique, she may be looking for your approval on something.  Is there anything that she's good at or is semi-good at and you've seldom expressed encouragement?

Archived