Skinny fat to toned in 1-2 months? (please evaluate my workout!)

Guest helloolleh1430276767

Guest helloolleh1430276767

Hello! I've decided to finally buckle down and get on track with my health and fitness and I would love to hear some input from anyone out there!
I'm currently 5'9 and 122lbs and I eat terribly. I eat out almost every meal and I am mostly sedentary. Everyone I know thinks I look skinny, but I know what's underneath all of that camouflage...I'm very soft lol. My goals are to change my eating habits slowly but surely and tone up because I don't care if I maintain my same size, I just want to get rid of the excess softness on my mid section and legs.
I recently got a gym membership and I'm not really sure if what I'm doing is helpful towards my goals. I cannot do cardio to save my life, but I try to walk/jog a mile before I do any strength exercise. 
I've been doing:
3 sets of 12 15lb kettlebell squats (goblet squats?)
3 sets of 12 inner thigh machine (40 lbs)3 sets of 12 outer thigh machine (40 lbs)3 sets of 15 squat with medicine ball (10 lbs)3 sets of 20 crunch twist with medicine ball (10 lbs)2 sets of 12 (on each side) side bends with 12.5lb weight2 sets of 12 standing overhead dumbbell something (it works the triceps but Idr the name!!) with 8lb weight
I don't know if that workout is effective at all since I've only just begun and because I'm just doing all the things that I know how to do lol. I'm also drinking 3-4 litres of water a day and I'm eating/snacking less frequently. I'm still working on eating clean, but it's a process. I'm also wondering if I can skip out on the cardio altogether because I...just...can't.............lol..
Anyway, I just wanted to hear people's input on what I'm doing so far, and I hope to also incorporate updates as I am trying to be toned by mid to late April for an event I'm attending!Please let me know what you think!! Thank you :)

I won't comment on your exercises 'cause I don't do them so I don't want to mislead you.

BUT don't skip out on the cardio. I know it's tough and sometimes seems pointless but keep at it. Your body will adapt and you can push yourself further each time. And you might progress faster than you might think. I went from running one mile consistently every other day and then one day a week later I surprised myself by running past that mile and I wasn't feeling as tired as I usually was! Try a different setting maybe. I used to hate running at the gym, so I'd try running at the track at the local high school. I still hated it so I went running around my neighborhood. That's what did the trick. Pair it with a run tracking app (for motivation/sense of purpose) and some music and I'm off running.

As for the workouts, I'd say try more core workouts. Incorporate more squats along with your kettlebell workouts, with some bench presses (not just for men!), and ab work. I hesitate to suggest deadlifting & traditional squats 'cause that requires refining your form first. The core workouts, as their name suggests, serve to strengthen your core which will supplement your other (more focused) workouts. Strengthening your core will also help increase your stability and balance.  This can lead to a more balanced, toned muscle mass. Skinny fat is a good place to start. You're not overweight and you have the building blocks for lean muscle. Don't worry! Take it day by day and be consistent. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

(This is all from my personal experience so take it how you will!)

Sounds awesome that you are giving this whole dieting and fitness thing a go!

Here's some advice for you though. I am going to be pretty straight forward

Diet and cardio is going to be key for you to achieve your goals. I know you are taking it slowly but it would be a good idea to plan. How are you exactly making changes to your diet? How often will you eat a day? How often will you cook at home? Remember every meal is an opportunity to make small but effective adjustments

Also let's talk a little about cardio. Steady pace and oxygen consuming with your aerobic energy system will BURN fat which is what you need to achieve faster and more efficient results. Without the proper training techniques, it'll be difficult to do the same with just resistance training. So remember BURNING (oxidizing) fat and burning calories are two different things. So as @Kiribati mentioned, find a way to enjoy cardio. I really liked all the suggestions mentioned.

Now for your exercise routine. Seems that you are targeting specific areas that you want to tone + lose body fat. I would say first you should focus on burning the most amount of calories you can possible. How to achieve this?

1) Compound exercises: Using more muscle groups for a certain exercise. Perfect example of compound exercise? Squats. You're working out mainly your quads, glutes, and some hamstring whereas your overhead tricep extension (the exercise you were explaining) targets mainly only ONE head of the triceps (the long head). The inner thigh (adductors) machine is also targeting just your inner thighs. So here are some compound exercises I highly recommend

Knee pushups or pushups (works out chest, triceps, front shoulder)
Lat pulldown or Rows (biceps and lats)
Shoulder press (shoulders and some triceps)
Squats
Single romanian deadlifts or deadlifts ( I don't recommend it for beginners )
KETTLEBELL SWINGS: Probably the best workout for you to learn but I would say probably 90% of people do it incorrectly. If you're interested in mastering this amazing move check out either the StrongFirst or KBC style. Just an amazing, compound exercise if done right

2) Circuit style training: So pretty much you are exercising with no or minimal rest periods. So let's say you do pushups, rows, shoulder press, squat for ONE circuit and then you repeat these 3-5 times without rest. You're giving your body less time to recover and actually burn a lot more calories with your heart rate up. Another example is alternating upper and lower body so doing pushups, then squats, then rows right after, then kettlebell swings, then shoulder press then to lunges. See the idea?

You will get the best results from these two concepts

And finally I look at my exercises in a medical standpoint so I will provide some alternatives to your exercises

1) Crunch twist with medicine ball - Spinal flexion with rotation is a recipe for a herniated disc. Trust me on this, even though you may see it all the time its just not good for you and there's a lot better exercises. Also I wouldn't recommend the side bending exercises either. Here is a very efficient exercise for weight loss and also for obliques: side oblique Medicine ball toss:

Notice the pivoting of the back foot, that is VERY important any time you do any trunk rotation or you will strain your lower back

2) Inner thigh and outer thigh machines - First off, you are sitting. You sit all day right? Also if you are a female bodybuilder then feel free to use these machines but if not, do these instead. Bridges with adduction:

(make sure just like in the video, your palms are facing the ceiling. You want to cancel out "typing mode" which is internal rotation of the arms so you want to reverse that to external rotation)
and for outer thighs (gluteus medius) lateral tube walking (honestly I cannot find a video on youtube with the proper form sorry haha).

And there's a lot more to cover but if you have any questions feel free to ask

Good luck

Archived