Eat healthy, exercise, but gaining weight

love

I have been constantly gaining weight since December and I have gained 7 lbs since then (my average weight is 98 lbs at 5’1”). I always eat healthy, drink plenty of water, exercise regularly with cardio and weights yet I still gain weight. I run marathons and am training year round so my cardio isn’t lacking. I work out even harder to lose the weight I gained and increased my weights quite a bit the past few months.. I ran 9 miles the other day and still gained a lb! I don’t think the weight gain is due to muscle though because I have gained an inch on my waist and my clothes fill snug.

My average calorie intake is about 1200. I thought maybe I wasn’t getting in enough calories so for a couple days, I played around with my calorie intake but I noticed if I go over 1400 calories, I will gain weight.

I don’t understand why I’m gaining weight when I’m exercising , eating healthy, and watching my calories.  Any thoughts? 

I really think that you're just gaining muscle. My boyfriend stopped working out for a few months and once he started again and gained those muscles back, his clothes felt tighter on him.

Do you have access to a gym where you can measure your body fat %? If you can and can check up on it frequently then you can track to see if you're gaining fat or muscle. Hope that helps!

A few things you should explain:

Diet: 1) How many meals and how frequently do you eat a day? Any snacks in between? Describe a daily meal plan
        2) The balance between carbs, fats, and protein. So how much whole grains/veggies and fruits/ meat/dairy/soy do you consume? Do you consume way more than a certain macronutrient? And I am guessing you are not intaking any alcohol?
        3) How much water on average are you drinking?
        4) Did you introduce a new food from December until now?
        5) Are you eating at home or eating out? If you are eating out are you certain of the calorie count?

Exercise: 1) How often do you exercise a week? Describe an average exercise routine
               2) How long and intense are your workouts? Cardio before or after weightlifting?

All I can assume right now is that it is your diet. Describe "healthy". A salad with avocados, nuts, beans, low fat dressing is considered healthy but it can go over 500 calories easy.

I feel like you aren't eating frequently also. You have to eat MORE meals but eat LESS calories per meal.

Here is a quick EXAMPLE, the numbers are random so do not follow them exactly. Eating TWO 600 calorie meals a day = 1200 calories is a big no no. You want to rev up and keep your metabolism efficient so something like FOUR 300 calorie meals = 1200 calories a day.

It can also be your exercise routine too, you need to explain

But until you provide specific details I wouldn't be 100% sure

Alright then let's get started

No doubt that it is your exercise regime As I can see it, you're on a muscle hypertrophy (weight gain) program, not a weight loss program.

You're gaining too much muscle while not spreading out your cardio program throughout the days to burn off body fat

Let's say you just completely stopped weight lifting (just an example, you should always do resistance training to increase or maintain your resting metabolic rate). I can guarantee you once you start losing your muscles you will lose weight. Further showing that is it your exercise routine that is causing your weight gain

So if you are truly concerned with the number on the scale here's what you want to do

1) Lessen the intensity and increase the reps - You're lifting way too heavy. If you significantly lessen the weight such as start doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps of goblet squats with a 10lb medicine ball or 8kg kettlebell instead of your 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps 300 lbs leg press, you won't build as much muscle but you'll still be toned and not gain too much muscle weight

2) Cardio - Start running 3-5 days a week at 30 minutes max. I am not going to explain this in a more scientific way by explaining VO2 max and intensity % so this is the best way to explain for now . You don't have to just do cardio. You can do resistance training for 30 minutes and then do 20-30 minutes of cardio. This way you'll have more days of oxidizing and burning fat instead of what you are doing, burning calories.

3) You're targeting large muscle groups - You're lifting very heavy for your chest, back, legs and glutes. These are the largest muscle group in your body, IF YOU GO HEAVY on these muscles, you will gain significant muscle weight. That doesn't mean stop, it means to once again lessen the weight since working these muscle groups will also burn the most calories when doing compound exercises

My advice: Start doing resistance training 2x a week for 30-40 minutes, doing circuit style training, LOWERING THE WEIGHTS, do exercises where you get up and not stationary. Example: instead of leg press do more squats and lunges. The workout right now is too much focused on building muscle mass which will result in weight gain.  Do 3-5 days of cardio and you can also combine these days with resistance training. Example: 30 minutes of circuit training or high intensity interval training with 20-30 minutes of cardio right after. So your focus should be more CARDIO and less resistance training if you want to LOSE weight/body fat

Now also please hear my advice

PLEASE do not use those inaccurate handheld bioelectrical impedance machines to measure body fat %. The amount of water in your system greatly affects the test so obviously it is not as reliable and accurate as a skinfold test. Ask someone else in the gym or whoever to do a 7-point Jackson-Pollock skinfold caliper test. This will give you a more accurate body fat measurement and margin of error will be based on the administrator. Find someone who can administer it properly. Don't let them do the 4 point Durnin-Womersley test (pinching only triceps, biceps, subscapular and suprailiac) because it is still a little bit inaccurate. If your gym facility/staff is incompetent and decides to do the 4 point test, go ahead since it is still better than the handheld machines

Once you get a pretty accurate body fat % now you can calculate your lean body mass (let's say fat free mass) and body fat mass

Body fat mass = Your weight x body fat %

Lean body mass = Your weight - body fat mass

Now that you have pretty accurate objective data, monitor your lean body mass and body fat mass periodically every 2 weeks or once a month and monitor yourself properly

To take a step even further, with all this data you can also calculate your RMR. I am assuming you know your resting metabolic rate but I will tell you just in case. Look up either the Mifflin-St. Jeor or Katch-McArdle equation. Either way find out how much calories your body actually burns at rest

Also it is good you are doing body measurements, very important as well.

Now you have all the objective data, now it is time to reassess your fitness goals. Seems like you want to gain muscle but lose body fat. But ask yourself: Do you want to truly lose weight? If yes, then you need to stop lifting so heavy.

So set out some realistic long and shortterm goals such as "I will lose 1 lb of body fat per week" or "I want to lose 2 inches off my waist within the next 3 months"

Also for your diet, I can't really comment fully without seeing your food log but here's my advice:

1) For your snack before your workout, I'd say substitute it for a 6 to 6 7/8 inch banana, it is a little less than 100 calories and it will help you rev your Krebs cycle so that you can burn fat efficiently and it help you get you through your workout. You can intake more calories/energy for example around 200 since you will be burning those calories off anyway. You need bullets to go to war no?

2) Start taking fish oil. Do your research, omega 3's help oxidize fat better. Ask any strength/weight loss coach.

3) Also once you get this whole weight gain situation sorted out, I wish you had a more balanced breakfast. If it is going to be for weight loss, 1 cup of whole grain/bran high fiber cereal with 1 cup nonfat almond or soy milk will you give you a good balance of carbs, protein, and fats with a good mix of fiber and minerals. In your case you may have to do 1/2 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of milk instead

Now you have all the tools, monitor your weight the right way.

• 3 weeks later...

frenchtutor said:
Alright then let's get started

No doubt that it is your exercise regime As I can see it, you're on a muscle hypertrophy (weight gain) program, not a weight loss program.

You're gaining too much muscle while not spreading out your cardio program throughout the days to burn off body fat

Let's say you just completely stopped weight lifting (just an example, you should always do resistance training to increase or maintain your resting metabolic rate). I can guarantee you once you start losing your muscles you will lose weight. Further showing that is it your exercise routine that is causing your weight gain

So if you are truly concerned with the number on the scale here's what you want to do

1) Lessen the intensity and increase the reps - You're lifting way too heavy. If you significantly lessen the weight such as start doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps of goblet squats with a 10lb medicine ball or 8kg kettlebell instead of your 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps 300 lbs leg press, you won't build as much muscle but you'll still be toned and not gain too much muscle weight

2) Cardio - Start running 3-5 days a week at 30 minutes max. I am not going to explain this in a more scientific way by explaining VO2 max and intensity % so this is the best way to explain for now . You don't have to just do cardio. You can do resistance training for 30 minutes and then do 20-30 minutes of cardio. This way you'll have more days of oxidizing and burning fat instead of what you are doing, burning calories.

3) You're targeting large muscle groups - You're lifting very heavy for your chest, back, legs and glutes. These are the largest muscle group in your body, IF YOU GO HEAVY on these muscles, you will gain significant muscle weight. That doesn't mean stop, it means to once again lessen the weight since working these muscle groups will also burn the most calories when doing compound exercises

My advice: Start doing resistance training 2x a week for 30-40 minutes, doing circuit style training, LOWERING THE WEIGHTS, do exercises where you get up and not stationary. Example: instead of leg press do more squats and lunges. The workout right now is too much focused on building muscle mass which will result in weight gain.  Do 3-5 days of cardio and you can also combine these days with resistance training. Example: 30 minutes of circuit training or high intensity interval training with 20-30 minutes of cardio right after. So your focus should be more CARDIO and less resistance training if you want to LOSE weight/body fat

Now also please hear my advice

PLEASE do not use those inaccurate handheld bioelectrical impedance machines to measure body fat %. The amount of water in your system greatly affects the test so obviously it is not as reliable and accurate as a skinfold test. Ask someone else in the gym or whoever to do a 7-point Jackson-Pollock skinfold caliper test. This will give you a more accurate body fat measurement and margin of error will be based on the administrator. Find someone who can administer it properly. Don't let them do the 4 point Durnin-Womersley test (pinching only triceps, biceps, subscapular and suprailiac) because it is still a little bit inaccurate. If your gym facility/staff is incompetent and decides to do the 4 point test, go ahead since it is still better than the handheld machines

Once you get a pretty accurate body fat % now you can calculate your lean body mass (let's say fat free mass) and body fat mass

Body fat mass = Your weight x body fat %

Lean body mass = Your weight - body fat mass

Now that you have pretty accurate objective data, monitor your lean body mass and body fat mass periodically every 2 weeks or once a month and monitor yourself properly

To take a step even further, with all this data you can also calculate your RMR. I am assuming you know your resting metabolic rate but I will tell you just in case. Look up either the Mifflin-St. Jeor or Katch-McArdle equation. Either way find out how much calories your body actually burns at rest

Also it is good you are doing body measurements, very important as well.

Now you have all the objective data, now it is time to reassess your fitness goals. Seems like you want to gain muscle but lose body fat. But ask yourself: Do you want to truly lose weight? If yes, then you need to stop lifting so heavy.

So set out some realistic long and shortterm goals such as "I will lose 1 lb of body fat per week" or "I want to lose 2 inches off my waist within the next 3 months"

Also for your diet, I can't really comment fully without seeing your food log but here's my advice:

1) For your snack before your workout, I'd say substitute it for a 6 to 6 7/8 inch banana, it is a little less than 100 calories and it will help you rev your Krebs cycle so that you can burn fat efficiently and it help you get you through your workout. You can intake more calories/energy for example around 200 since you will be burning those calories off anyway. You need bullets to go to war no?

2) Start taking fish oil. Do your research, omega 3's help oxidize fat better. Ask any strength/weight loss coach.

3) Also once you get this whole weight gain situation sorted out, I wish you had a more balanced breakfast. If it is going to be for weight loss, 1 cup of whole grain/bran high fiber cereal with 1 cup nonfat almond or soy milk will you give you a good balance of carbs, protein, and fats with a good mix of fiber and minerals. In your case you may have to do 1/2 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of milk instead

Now you have all the tools, monitor your weight the right way.

Guest AmoreS2

You're obviously consuming more calories than you're burning. 
Or you're not exercising hard enough/not performing the correct exercises. 
Do some weight training and eat less carbohydrates. 

• 4 weeks later...

considering your size and weight, maybe you should try doing 1000 calories/day. 
the issue with not being tall, is that your vicera (organs) need space as well as enough adipose tissue to cushion them (or you will die). It could be that you are not satisfied with your appearance, specifically concerning your abdominal region due to the fact that there is nothing left that your body is willing to burn off.
you don't really want your muscles to hypertrophy, you just want to keep them from a state of atrophy. This requires much less than some people think (yoga, taichi/qigong, walking/light jogging etc.). 
the issue with being small is that reccomendations from the internet will not reflect reality for you, people who are literally twice your weight may eat 2000 calories and not really loose weight, so it is not shocking that you are not loosing weight eating more than half of that, even though you are half the weight.
cut down on sugars and white rice/breads. fill up on vegetables, bok choy and spinach together have pretty much all of the vitamins and minerals that you need, while tofu or very lean meat (just a few thin slices) is enough for your protein needs. Eating this way, you will be allowed to fill your stomach and still eat less than 300 calories a meal, while having more than enough nutrition. 
i personally advise that if you choose to do this, you eat your food in hotpot form, as you can add herbs to help your body retain the water as well as burn the energy off better, as well as adding sichuan peppers, clove, star anise etc. for great flavor with low/no calories.

malnutrition is not so much about calories, it is more about... well nutrition lol. make sure you get your nutrition and you don't need to worry about going too low on calories as much. just make sure your digestive system is working enough. which means low calorie high nutrient foods! eat a lot but have low calorie so that your digestive system continues to work as it should.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest misswengie

We're the same height! There could be a few reasons why you are gaining weight. Muscle weighs more then fat. Also if you're eating more calcium it may mean your bone density increase which means more weight, and also maybe you're maintaining water weight. Probably you're better off measuring your body and seeing if it gets bigger. Also I would also change the type of exercise if you don't want to bulk up but be more slim. Things like yoga, Pilates, might be a good exercise so you don't gain so much muscle.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest joeysorenson_stv

If after doing lots of exercises you are again gaining your weight then I will suggest you to do dieting and if this also does not work then there are a wide range of weight reduction arrangements out there.This incorporates a wide range of pills, medications and regular supplements which are also available in and the online pharmacy. These are asserted to help you get more fit, or possibly make it less demanding to lose weight consolidated with different systems.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that if your wait is gaining so you must keep watch in your food timing .You must take your food in specific time and never eat to much and must exercise regularly.

• 1 month later...
Guest MatthewJohnson

If you are still gaining weight that means you are still consuming more calories then you are burning. 

You should take proper diet and exercise hard. You can also take appetite suppressants like Regenon pills control hungers and give best results with workout routines.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wowcatshadow

I used to struggle with my eating schedule, then stumbled on this site while surfing the Internet - http://trysportsnow.com 

Here I found a lot of useful applications for the control of food intake, these I the ones I've chosen for myself:

1) http://trysportsnow.com/en/apps/eat_bright - Eat Bright is a unique diet planner which composes an amazing diet for you!

2) http://trysportsnow.com/en/apps/bite_of_health - Bite of Health will remind you to cook some simple snack to take it away and have a spot of healthy lunch when and where you desire.

3) http://trysportsnow.com/en/apps/healthful_food - It is the universal application that will help you to choose and to follow a diet.

And by the way on this site I found alot of really useful apps - the one with an individual training program, apps for health - http://trysportsnow.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Isaac Jeon

Hi, i can help you with your weight gaining issue.

So what have you tried so far?..., because it's about 65 up to 70 % of dieting and the other part proper workout.

as well as lifestyle and consistency.

You can mail me aswell if you feel like it. hyunjinjeon@outlook.com

by the way i have a body transformation video on youtube and I hope I can inspire some of you.

Beside the muscle gain... you also see the fat loss process :)

Isaac Jeon 1 year body transformation / feel free to subscribe xD

https://instagram.com/isaacjeonofficial
https://www.facebook.com/hyunjin.isaac

• 1 month later...
Guest ChetHolley

I think you might be taking more calories then needed... My advice is to check your diet once and prepare a healthy diet plan and track your calories as well..

Archived