Brian Williams temporarily leaves NBC Nightly News

sugarplum892

class="headline" itemprop="headline" style="font-family: ProximaNova-Light, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 2.25em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 1.11111em; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; border-image-source: initial; border-image-slice: initial; border-image-width: initial; border-image-outset: initial; border-image-repeat: initial; font-stretch: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; letter-spacing: -1px; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Brian Williams temporarily leaves NBC Nightly NewsBrian Williams will temporarily step away from The NBC Nightly News, after he admitted to 'misremembering' an oft-told story about being shot at in a helicopter while on location in Iraq. 
The news anchor sent a note to the show's staff explaining that he will be replaced by NBC News veteran Lester Holt for the next few days, according to multiple media outlets.
Brian Williams

The note read: "In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions.
"As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue. 
"Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us."
The announcement comes after Williams apologized on air for telling an allegedly-false story over the years about being under attack in a helicopter in Iraq in 2003.

"I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago," Williams told viewers this week. "I want to apologize. I said I was traveling in an aircraft that was hit by an RPG fire. I was instead in a following aircraft."
NBC has since announced that it has opened an internal investigation into Williams's reporting.
Williams has served as presenter of The NBC Nightly News since 2004, and also anchored NBC's Rock Center from 2011 to 2013.
Source

• 2 months later...
Guest pianoistpanda

Well, in my mother's opinion, he wasn't too sincere in his apology, and it doesn't seem like he's coming back.  I mean, he already ruined his reputation; I don't know if NBC will take him back anyway.

Archived