Ambiguously Ethnic... (basically when people can't figure out your race b/c you're so mixed)

Guest gisellaaa

Guest gisellaaa

I watched this interesting Buzzfeed video and I'm sure I'm not the only one who relates to this. So I was wondering if you guys have similar experiences to mine lol. 

Basically (I'm guessing from the video) being ambiguously ethnic is when you're a mix of all sorts of culture and people can't figure out what you are. Or I'm guessing it also applies to people who look ambiguously ethic (like that dude who got mistaken for being Columbian in the video). 

I'm Indonesian, Dutch, German and a whole bunch of other stuff from both of my parent's side that I'm not even aware of. I am Asian but I am so often mistaken for Hispanic, Half-Asian, or most of the times people just go straight up to my face and ask "What are you?". (I'm human). 

Apparently I have one of those weird ethnic faces that doesn't look like it belong to any particular race. I mean I don't look white or black, but I also don't look like your stereotypical Asian or your stereotypical Hispanic either. I get mistaken for being hispanic, vietnamese, thai, filipino (which is actually pretty close, I'm quite impressed if people guess filipino since I look more like a pinoy lol) or half-something. 

I remember on my first day of school in my new high school, I was asked 'Where are you from?' or 'What are you?' at least 30x on that one particular day. I don't find it annoying, it's just that when I tell people that I'm Indonesian, apparently there's this other Indonesian kid who goes to that school too but he has a darker skin color than mine so people are like "Oh why aren't you like (name of other Indonesian kid)? Are you half?". Which is kinda dumb because Indonesians come in so many different shapes and colors and sizes lol so it's kind of impossible to stereotype us.

I usually don't find it annoying when people are curious lol but I find it super annoying when people just come up to me and start speaking their language and then get angry/disappointed when I don't. I've had this woman come up to me speaking Spanish and then when I tell them I'm not hispanic they get angry and say sh_t like how I'm denying my culture when I'm 'so obviously hispanic'. I've also had another person persistently try to speak vietnamese to me when I've told them repeatedly that I'm not viet. 

Still though, on some days I wish I looked more like a single race and on other days I'm kind of proud of being a racial chameleon lol. I don't even consider myself to be as ambiguously ethnic as other people (hell, I've had a friend who was Hawaiian, Japanese, Native American, Peruvian, Scottish, Samoan, AND  a Kiwi - she loves to call herself a rainbow hahah), but it kind of makes me unique.

(NOTE: If you somehow get butthurt while reading this post, then I suggest you stop and take a chill-pill before replying an angry hate reply because I'm honestly not trying to be hateful towards a particular race. I know this post has a lot of errors and stuff but this is like 3 AM in the morning so if you also plan on correcting me, don't even try because I'll probably come back to this post and edit it later again in the morning thanks).  

Guest I_play_with_dolls

That reminds me of Rashida Jones, in "The Office" and "Parks and Rec" she's always known as the ambiguously "ethnic princess" lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest minjjangxx1846

I'm just Filipino. 100% (but of course Filipinos are pretty mixed, too, so...) but people say I can pass for a lot of ethnicities, and I have gotten mistaken for quite a few:
SpanishMexicanPuerto RicanChineseJapaneseKoreanThaiNepali/Nepalese (I still don't know which one is the right term?)
"Just black" (which, to me, is surprising because I don't think I look black at all lol but I did used to be a quite a bit darker when I was younger)And some people have thought I was somewhere from the Middle East
I'm 95% sure I have Taiwanese/Chinese ancestry, and possibly Spanish but I'm not sure about that. I think it really depends on where I am... here in the US people are sometimes just stumped and can't really guess what I am. Some people say I just look plain Asian and some say I don't. When I was in Korea (and also on the plane, Korean Air) I got spoken to in Korean and I was just like, "Uhh..." but my mom and I went to an Asian grocery store once and they thought we were Thai. But then of course I'm hanging out with my Mexican-Puerto Rican buddy and he says I look nothing like a Latina would, so, I don't even know! And I guess I look different each day or something because even to myself, sometimes I look more Asian and sometimes I look more Latina. I noticed, though, that when a non-Asian says I don't look very Asian, it tends to be the Asians that "defends" me and says that yes, I do look Asian and that they would know lol. 

I'm Hainanese/Vietnamese/Taiwanese so I had all three cultures that influenced me growing up. Imagine growing up in a household with a mom speaking Taiwanese to your aunts and uncles over the phone and your dad cooking Pho or Bun or Nem in the kitchen. It's all normal to me of course but it was pretty funny looking at friends' faces when they try to figure out what the heck was going on.

And in college I've been mistaken for being Korean...and close friends and strangers have told me that they really thought I was Korean. This by itself was pretty jarring 'cause I grew up in an area in which the Korean population was a super minority. It was fun though as I enjoy learning about other cultures.

Archived