Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, or SE Asian food?

Guest Velstadt

Guest Velstadt

Pick one from the above that is your favorite. I prefer Japanese food the best. Chinese food, especially the Canto variety, is really good too. I enjoy Korean food but it is not the best (I'm half Korean so I grew up on kimchi and kalbi). I've never tried Mongolian but I think my Scottish side might enjoy the lamb. SE Asian? Copies of European colonial food (for example, Vietnamese got a lot of ideas from French).

Japanese sushi (nigiri, sashimi, chirashi) is really good, but in general the other foods are meh.
I'm really picky with Korean food since i am korean. I dislike eating Korean food in the US (except select locations in LA Korea town) but food in korea is pretty good.
Chinese food is way too diverse, there are some 54 ethnicities that make up China and there are that many different types of cooking styles, i really really like the dry sauteed green beans though.
Mongolian food is mostly soups and variaties of dumplings. During special occations there are some very good meat dishes that are usually boiled for a long time.
I agree korean bbq is not the best... but u know korean bbq is a relatively recent develpment. well made samgyetang is very good. as well as gomtang and the tender pork shoulder with radish wrap and baby shrimp paste.
Thai food is a little too sweet for me, but when the time is right, pad se ew is just amazing, 
Vietnamese food is okay, I'm just gonna say it... I don't line pho. vietnamese sandwiches are really good, so are the fried rolls. the vermicelli has its moments of greatness as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm Japanese. I grew up eating Chinese, Japanese, and a little bit of Korean. Japanese food is taste the best and is usually the healthiest. There are of course tempura which has a ton of calories but a regular Japanese home meal is quite healthy. :D

Guest minjjangxx1846

Obviously I like Filipino food since I'm Filipino, but next would definitely have to be Korean food (actually, Korean and Filipino are tied for me!) and then Japanese... and I don't think I've ever had real, authentic Chinese food :(

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the food you mentioned, I've only had Chinese, Japanese and Korean food. Living in the UK, I've found Chinese food to be all the same old greasy oily stuff that is found in every restaurant or takeaway that I've eaten from many times growing up. Although I'm very well aware things are very different in China in terms of food and I'm sure a lot better quality. In terms of Japanese food, I've found it to be nice and light. It's easy to eat just the right amount to not get a food coma or not still feel hungry. It's very satisfying with a small amount.But with Korean food, that's definitely my favourite. I even like to cook it myself. There are so many dishes and side dishes and I haven't tasted any KOrean dish that I haven't liked yet.

Guest xoshinee

I like most Asian foods I've tried; Thai, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. I really want to try authentic Chinese though because I heard its a lot different. I want to try more Thai foods and Indian food too. If I had to choose though, I like sushi or dishes similar to sushi like Kimbap. Things like that just seem to be the right serving, mostly healthy, and you don't feel too full after. So I guess Japanese? Lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AmoreS2

I like spicy foods so for me:
Korean > Chinese = Japanese. 
Chinese food can be spicy but the majority here in the US is mostly greasy stuff. I don't really like greasy foods. 
Also Japanese food is heavy on fish. Too much fish can really harm you due to the mercury. 
Better off eating chicken. 

Guest IchibanIppai

I love Japanese and Korean. Sometimes Japanese is too bland so I eat Korean food which tends to be more spicy. I absolutely love sushi, Korean cold noodles (naengmyeon?), ramen, soba, Korean BBQ, wagyu, kimchi (I love it!), edamame, atsuage, etc. 
Chinese is good too. 
Mongolian? Never tried it. But I assume it's going to be a lot of milk, cheese and meat hehe. 

I love all, but Chinese food seems the most vegetarian-friendly for me . As much as I love Japanese and Korean food, even the most vegetarian-friendly looking dishes turn out to have meat/fish-based ingredients in them. For example, the Japanese love putting bonito (a type of fish) in their cooking, whether it be in broth (i.e. miso soup) or as flakes. In terms of Korean, my heart shattered when I learned that kimchi was not just fermented vegetables, and that it contained anchovy. I also like Vietnamese food because it's what I grew up with as a Vietnamese, but speaking from personal experience, Viets love putting fish sauce on almost everything. At least when I order Chinese food that has no meat, I know there's not going to be any secret fish/meat based ingredient in my noodles or stir fry vegetables.

• 1 month later...

All of the above? I think they all have their own appeal. 
I like Chinese food when I'm craving something more dense and warm. I notice that Chinese food is usually more savory in those aspects (not talking about takeout).
I like Japanese when I'm craving something simplistic (in that I find Japanese food to not have many flavors at once/less complex notes).
Korean when I want vegetables and something easily digestible. Korean seems to offer a lot more raw/less cooked dishes which I enjoy. Granted, I am Korean so I do tend to go for Korean more. 
I really like the fresh herbal infusions of SE Asian food. They seem to incorporate fruits, ginger, lemongrass, etc to another level in a more raw way than other region foods.

• 1 month later...
Guest lyly1031

I agree with bornensemble. Each have their own taste and each has their own day in my kitchen and belly!

Guest happytogetehr

Chinese food is really good. I want to try Japanese and Korean food ,too. But some of these food are spicy and hard for me to tolerate.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I choose all of the above? Lol

I have waaayyy too many Chinese food. Kinda sick of it now. I looovvveee SE Asian food: Vietnamese, Thai, Laotian, you name it, I love it! Especially when its spicy! 

But I also love Korean and Japanese food too. Ha ha. I haven't tried Mongolian food, which would be interesting and cool to taste.

Archived