Genre: Historical, political, romance
Episodes: 50 
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2015-Apr-13 to 2015-Sep-29
Air time: Monday & Tuesday 22:00
Producer: Kim Sang Ho
Screenwriter: Kim Yi Young

SYNOPSIS

This interpretation tells of Gwanghae (Cha Seung Won) as the son of a concubine and secondary heir, who in his thirst for power, usurps the Crown and ousts his half-sister Jungmyung (Lee Yeon Hee) from the palace. Gwanghae is then deposed in a coup by the Westerners, who replace him with Injo (Kim Jae Won). Extremely paranoid and wanting to stabilise his position, he is also out for Jungmyung’s life.

CAST

Main Cast

Cha Seung Won as Prince Gwanghae
– Lee Tae Hwan as Gwanghae (teen)
Lee Yeon Hee as Princess Jungmyung
– Jung Chan Bi as Jungmyung (teen)
– Heo Jung Eun as Jungmyung (child)
Kim Jae Won as King Injo
Seo Kang Joon as Hong Joo Won
– Yoon Chan Young as Hong Joo Won (young)
– Choi Kwon Soo as Hong Joo Won (child)
Han Joo Wan as Kang In Woo
– Ahn Do Kyu as Kang In Woo (young)
– Lee Tae Woo as Kang In Woo (child)

Supporting Cast

Jo Sung Ha as Kang Joo Sun
Shin Eun Jung as Queen Inmok
Jun Jin Seo as Prince Youngchang
Choi Jong Hwan as Prince Imhae
Kim Yeo Jin as Kim Gae Shi
Jung Woong In as Lee Yi Chum
Kim Chang Wan as Lee Won Ik
Lee Sung Min as Lee Deok Hyung
Kim Seung Wook as Lee Hang Bok
Gong Myung as Ja Kyung
– Kang Chan Hee as Ja Kyung (young)
Uhm Hyo Sup as Hong Young
Park Young Gyu as King Sunjo
Jang Seung Jo as Prince Jungwon
Kim Gyu Sun as Princess Junghye
Kang Moon Young as Lady Yoon (Kang Joo Sun’s wife)
Yoo Seung Mok as Yoo Hee Boon
Park Won Sang as Jang Bong Soo
Kim Kwang Kyu as Lee Young Boo
Kwak Dong Yun as Lee Ui Rib
Jo Jae Ryong as Bang Geun
Lee Seung Hyung as Lee Seo
Hwang Young Hee as Ok Joo
Baek Soo Ryun as Soo Ryeon Gae
Kim Ki Bang as Goo Bok
Kim Kyu Chul
Kang Shin Il
Lee Jae Goo

NEWS & INFORMATION

Cha Seung Won Courted to Join Lee Yeon Hee in MBC Sageuk

Episode Ratings

DateEpTNmSTNmSAGBAGB
  NationwideSeoulNationwideSeoul
2015-04-13110.0 (17th)12.3 (9th)10.5 (14th)12.0 (8th)
2015-04-14210.5 (14th)12.4 (8th)11.8 (6th)12.8 (7th)
2015-04-2039.0 (20th)10.6 (11th)10.9 (11th)12.6 (6th)
2015-04-21410.4 (10th)12.6 (7th)10.8 (8th)12.1 (7th)
2015-04-2759.7 (14th)12.1 (8th)9.9 (12th)11.2 (7th)
2015-04-28610.0 (14th)12.0 (9th)10.9 (9th)11.6 (7th)
2015-05-0479.2 (14th)10.9 (10th)9.4 (9th)10.2 (6th)
2015-05-0589.9 (11th)12.0 (8th)10.3 (9th)11.7 (6th)
2015-05-1198.3 (19th)9.8 (11th)9.5 (15th)10.8 (11th)
2015-05-12109.3 (15th)10.6 (12th)10.1 (11th)11.4 (8th)
2015-05-1811    

Soompi Forum Rules K-drama & Movies Sub Forum Rules 
Do not post any requests for subs. Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Do not quote images or videos.Do not post unrelated gifs or pictures to this drama thread. 01. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, Youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the moderators.05. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the moderators for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.IMAGE.jpg

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for starting the thread.
I'll be looking forward to this mainly due to the writer. She penned Dong Yi, one of my favourite sageuks, but the fact remains that she was also behind the major snooze fest Horse Healer (my personal opinion only) - for the drama's sake, I hope the script turns out well.
Lee Sung Min is great in whatever he does, and it would just be icing on the cake if Cha Seung Won signed on, especially after Unprecedented got shelved indefinitely for DJG2. 

Guest Mai AnL

Finally we had this thread. Thanks a lots!!
Dong Yi is one of my fav drama. Kim Yi Youngssi is so tanlented. It's rumored that Princess Jung Myung lasted 50eps. Maybe we can have another daebak sageuks likes Dong Yi.

Moreover, if Cha Seung Won take part in, it'll be double daebak ^^. He's amazing actor. His face expression is no joke. 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Korean news sources are saying Cha Seung-won and Lee Yeon-hee have confirmed that they will be starring in Princess Jungmyung.
Title: Cha Seung Won and Lee Yeon Hee confirmed to be joining MBC's "Splendid Politics...Gwanghae-gun VS. Princess Jungmyung?(I've only learnt tiny bits and pieces of Korean through watching dramas, so that was basically all I understood)
Original (Korean): http://www.tvreport.co.kr/cindex.php?c=news&m=newsview&idx=61994720141211_1418283265_59673700_1.jpg

Edit with English source: http://koalasplayground.com/2014/12/14/cha-seung-won-and-lee-yeon-hee-confirmed-for-mbc-50-episode-sageuk-splendid-politics/

• 2 weeks later...

class="content-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.4em; vertical-align: baseline; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible;"Dramaland never lacks geniuses, does it?

class="content-title" style="font-size: 23px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.4em; vertical-align: baseline; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible;"Seo Kang Joon Considered for New Historical Dramakokoberry December 22, 2014

Seo Kang Joon has reportedly received a casting offer for the male lead, Hong Joo Won, in the upcoming MBC historical drama “Hwajung” (working title). The Monday-Tuesday drama will air in spring. He has yet to make a final decision.

The character Hong Joo Won will be the eldest son from an elite family during the Joseon Dynasty. His character will be a genius who doesn’t hold back from saying harsh comments to high-ranking officials. Hong Joo Won will experience love and betrayal with Princess Jeongmyeong (a real historical princess). His character will embark upon a journey of making the world a better place. The role of Princess Jeongmyeong will be played by Lee Yeon Hee.

Seo Kang Joon is currently acting in KBS 2TV’s weekend drama “What’s With This Family?” and is receiving favorable reviews about his good looks and acting skills. If Seo Kang Joon takes the offer for “Hwajung,” he will have to prepare for the role after finishing “What’s With This Family?”

“Hwajung” will be centered on Princess Jeongmyeong who was born as a princess, but must disguise herself as dead due to power struggles. Cha Seung Won and Lee Yeon Hee have confirmed their roles and “Hwajung” is slated to broadcast next spring after “Shine or Go Crazy” which will follow up “Pride and Prejudice.

---------------------

Seo Kang-joon up for first lead role romancing Lee Yeon-hee

by javabeans | December 23, 2014 | No Comments

seokangjoon_3.jpg

Seo Kang-joon, one of the It Boys of 2014 (for appearances in Sly and Single Again, Roommate, and What’s With This Family), looks to be expanding his repertoire with sageuk with MBC’s upcoming drama Hwajeong, which was once titled Splendid Politicsbefore it switched to Princess JeongmyeongHwajeong is a shortened form of the term that means Splendid Politics, but for whatever reason they aren’t going with that full title, so let’s just call it Hwajeong and be done with it.

Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/12/seo-kang-joon-up-for-first-lead-role-romancing-lee-yeon-hee/

Why are there so much K-Dramas about geniuses? I would not mind further explorations on common, normal characters who might be average or below average in intellect.

• 2 weeks later...

Han Joo-wan drops weekend drama Bluebird, joins MBC sageuk Hwajeongby girlfriday | January 5, 2015 | 25 Comments

HanJooWan1.jpg

Interestingly, Han Joo-wan (Joseon Gunman, King’s Family) has turned down a leading role in favor of a supporting one: He was due to headline the KBS weekend dramaBluebird’s House, which is set to follow the network’s current ratings hit What’s With This Family in mid-February. Though he did share the main loveline with Lee Yoon-ji inKing’s Family (his first drama, by the way), Bluebird would’ve been his first headlining lead role in a drama.

Read more:http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/01/han-joo-wan-drops-weekend-drama-bluebird-joins-mbc-sageuk-hwajeong/

• 4 weeks later...

class="content-title" Kim Jae Won Joins Cha Seung Won and Lee Yeon Hee’s Upcoming Drama “Hwajung” ddangha January 29, 2015 0 Kim Jae Won Joins Cha Seung Won and Lee Yeon Hee’s Upcoming Drama “Hwajung”

Actor Kim Jae Won will be joining the cast of the upcoming historical fiction drama, “Hwajung.”

The actor’s last drama was “Scandal,” a year and a half ago.

“Hwajung” will depict the struggle for power in the political setting of Joseon dynasty. Kim Jae Won will portray King Injo, the 16th King of Joseon, who becomes King after taking down King Gwanghae. Actor Cha Seung Won will portray Gwanghae. Lee Yeon Hee will star in the role of Princess Jungmyung, the half sister of Gwanghae.

“Hwajung” will premiere in April, after the completion of “Shine or Go Crazy,” on MBC. It will be directed by Kim Sang Ho of “Couple or Trouble,” while the script will be written by screenwriter Kim Yi Young, who wrote “Yi San” and “Dong Yi.

http://www.soompi.com/2015/01/29/kim-jae-won-joins-cha-seung-won-and-lee-yeon-hees-upcoming-drama-hwajung/

Hi everyone!!! :-h :-h
I'm gonna camping in this thread since my Oppa Kim Jae Won is cast :)

Confirmed actors so far:
1. Cha Seung Won as Gwanghae
2. Lee Yeon Hee as Princess Jungmyung
3. Seo Kang Joon as Hong Joo Won
4. Han Joo Wan
5. Lee Sung Min
6. Kim Jae Won as King Injo
\:D/ \:D/

Kim Jae-won goes up against Cha Seung-won in MBC’s Hwajeong by girlfriday | January 30, 2015 | 1 Comment

KimJaeWon1.jpg

This historical epic is assembling a pretty epic cast: MBC’s new sweeping sageuk Hwajeong (short for Splendid Politics) already has the likes of Cha Seung-won, Lee Sung-min, and Lee Yeon-hee onboard, and now Kim Jae-won (Scandal) is joining them to play Cha Seung-won’s rival. I know, who in his right mind would rival Cha Seung-won? But you can’t have a political drama without heirs battling for the throne and coups mounting in the wings, now can you?

The 50-episode saga takes place in the turbulent era of Gwanghaegun’s reign, in the early 17th century. Cha Seung-won stars as Prince Gwanghae, and in this drama’s interpretation, he’s a villain who usurped the throne from the direct bloodline (while he’s the son of a concubine, and a secondary heir because of it). He has his father’s favored legitimate son executed and ascends.

Lee Yeon-hee is the heroine of the story — she plays Gwanghae’s half-sister Princess Jeongmyeong, who survives her brother’s death but gets cast out of the palace with her mother Queen Inmok, where she’s forced to live as a commoner. She’ll have a loveline with Seo Kang-joon (What’s With This Family), a nobleman and the son of a very prominent family.

Kim Jae-won has been cast as King Injo, the man who will eventually usurp the throne from Gwanghae. Despite the successful coup, Injo is considered a terrible king by all accounts (he’s the weak and paranoid king in Three Musketeers, for one example). He’s Gwanghae’s nephew, the eldest son of one of his many half-brothers, and he happens to be chosen by the faction that wants to tear Gwanghae down and install a new ruler. And even after coming into power, he wants Princess Jeongmyeong killed in case it threatens his position. Yup, paranoid.

He’s described as greedy for power, though truth be told, this is an era where kings don’t have nearly the kind of power that the political factions do. It’s also an era plagued by multiple invasions, which should give the drama plenty of conflict to draw from (as if the family bloodshed weren’t enough).

Kim Jae-won will be reuniting with PD Kim Sang-ho, who helmed Can You Hear My Heart?, and writing is Kim Yi-young of Horse Doctor, Dong-yi, and Yi San. Hwajeong follows Shine or Go Crazy on Mondays and Tuesdays beginning in April.

Via Ten Asia

link: http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/01/kim-jae-won-goes-up-against-cha-seung-won-in-mbcs-hwajeong

class="at_ttl"Cha Seung Won, Kim Jae Won And Lee Yeon Hee Team Up For New Historical Drama

BY Julie Jones | Feb 02, 2015 12:59 PM EST

Cha Seung Won and Lee Yeon Hee
Kim Jae Won

If you were missing a 50-episode saeguk to plan your week around, help is on the way. A new historical drama from MBC will feature plenty of addicting court intrigue and forbidden romance. Cha Seung Won has signed on to play Prince Gwanghae and Lee Yeon Hee will play his half-sister Princess Jung Myong in the new drama "Hwajung" or "Splendid Politics."

It won't be the first drama or film to feature the character of Prince Gwanghae. Seo In Guk plays him in "The King's Face." Ji Sung, Lee Byung Hun and Lee Sang Yoon also portrayed him. But he is not usually portrayed as a villain.

In "The King's Face" he is seen compassionately, as a young man struggling to survive in an unpredictable court. In the new drama, "Hwajung" or "Splendid Politics" Prince Gwanghae is not as sympathetic a character. Because he is second in line for the throne he kills the heir apparent, his half-brother, Prince Yeong Chang.

Also, this saeguk will not focus on the story of Prince Gwanghae. It will dwell on the fate of his half-sister, the princess. Although Princess Jung Myong survives the death of her brother, Prince Gwanghae banishes her from the castle with her mother Queen Inmok. The princess has to live her life like a commoner. It's not all bad being a commoner because it gives her a chance to fall in love with the character played by Seo Kang Joon.

But even living away from the throne does not guarantee her safety. One of the prince's nephews wants to take the throne from Prince Gwanghae and even after he succeeds he sees the princess as a threat to his position. Kim Jae Won of "Scandal" plays the man who would become King Injo. He is determined to destroy her.

Before taking up princely robes, Cha Seung Won appeared in the police thriller drama "You're All Surrounded" and played a transgender homicide detective in the film "Man on High Heels." He also appears in a  "Three Meals a Day" spin-off set in a small fishing village.

Lee Yeon Hee starred in two dramas in 2013, "Gu Family Book" and "Miss Korea," as well as the film "Marriage Blue." She also has a role in "Detective K: Secret of the Lost Island."

Lee Sung Min, who played Manager Oh in the hit cable show "Misaeng," is also cast in this drama. He will play Lee Duk Hyung, a politician that eventually becomes prime minister.

Kim Yi Young, who wrote "Horse Doctor," "Yi Sam" and "Dong Yi" will write the script for "Hwajung."

Kim Sang Ho, who directed "Can You Hear My Heart?" and "Arang and the Magistrate" is the drama's director. The drama follows "Shine or Go Crazy" in April.

link: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/72070/20150202/cha-seung-won-kim-jae-won-and-lee-yeon-hee-team-up-for-new-historical-drama.htm

• 2 weeks later...

@kanyaprasetyothanks for the link! the pics keeps changing. and because of that, one of our EK "favorite" Byung Soo (actor Jung Woong In), also the scariest villain in IHYV is part of the cast, too! His pic itself with his children are scary!. LOL 

News: http://www.soompi.com/2015/02/19/cha-seung-won-is-looking-forward-to-working-on-a-long-drama-series/
class="content-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 23px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Cha Seung Won Is Looking Forward to Working on a Long Drama Seriesehk38 February 19, 2015
Cha Seung Won Is Looking Forward to Working on a Long Drama Series

In a recent interview with Yonhap News, actor Cha Seung Won shared his excitement about working on upcoming MBC historical fiction drama “Hwajung.”

Cha Seung Won explained his anomalous reaction to working on a longer drama series, which most stars tend to avoid, “Others may evade them, but I’ve wanted to do long drama for a while now.”

He continued, “I want to focus and do a good job. I want to put in my share, work hard, and do well in order to not be a liability on this long drama.”

“Hwajung,” which will take over “Shine or Go Crazy’s” spot in April later this year, is set against the political backdrop of the Joseon Dynasty, rife with envy and power struggles.

Cha Seung Won will depict King Gwanghae, and Kim Jae Won will play King Injo. Additionally, Lee Yeon Hee will play Cha Seung Won’s younger half-sister Princess Jungmyung.

While Cha Seung Won has acted in historical fiction films “Blood Rain” and “Blades of Blood,” “Hwajung” is the actor’s first-ever historical fiction drama.

Are you excited to see actor Cha Seung Won in “Hwajung?”

What should I do... I don't normally watch period dramas (even though I've watched some fusion dramas), but most of my favorite "ajeossideul" are in this one. Lee Sung Min and Park Won Sang in one drama?! That would be tempting enough for me, but they've also added Kim Kwang Kyu, Kang Shin Il, Uhm Hyo Sup, Kim Kyu Chul (until now I've hated all his characters, even though I think he should also try his hand with comedy), not to speak of Cha Seung Won. I am doomed... 
I've just realized that I should be more excited about Cha Seung Won and Kim Jae Won, but how can I do that when I see Lee Sung Min, Park Won Sang and Kim Kwang Kyu?! Only Ma Dong Seok, Jeon No Min, Jung Bo Suk, and Kim Sang Joong could make it even better, but then it would become too much, right?
I know only a period drama could bring all of them together, but I'm still afraid of period dramas... they often have sad endings...
I am not Lee Yeon Hee's fan, though. I've seen her in Miss Korea and Gu Family Book and I wouldn't consider her one of the best actresses out there, but she is not an actress whose dramas I would never watch, so it's alright, I guess. 

@Hannahmiriam

"but I'm still afraid of period dramas... they often have sad endings..."

For historical information

Princess Jungmyeong (1603-1685) was the maternal great, great, great grandmother of Jeongjo 22nd Joseon King. Jeongjo's mother Princess Hyegyeong was from Poongsan Hong clan

Princess Jungmyeong married Hong Chu Won - Prince Consort Yongan (1606-1675) from the Poongsan Hong clan

@gerrytan8063 I'm really really glad you're here. Now I know we'll have lots of background information.
So our princess will have her happy ending and a long life, but I wouldn't bother watching the drama for her or the love story. I'll - probably - watch it for the "political plot" and the secondary cast. Don't many of them die in period dramas?

Archived