Confused about relationship

Guest SahRawr

Guest SahRawr

Hey guys! I'm just kind of confused on what to think/feel. Sorry if it's long!
I've been dating my boyfriend for 2.5 years now, and yesterday we went on a break (our first one ever). In the 2.5 years that we have dated, we have both agreed that somewhere along the way we lost our 'spark'.We have spoken about how we felt with each other, where we both feel that we have been acting more like friends than we have as a couple. We are not that affectionate towards each other.Not once have we exchange the words 'I love you', but we still care for one another. I'm not sure if it's weird that we haven't said those three words yet, and i mean we're both in our 20s and have dated other people whom we have exchanged those words with before. I asked him if he loved me and he told me that he loved me more than a friend but he doesn't know if he is in love, he had thought of telling me before that he loved me but then he didn't because he just didn't feel it. Which.. i am okay with because i feel the same way.When we decided on this break, we almost broke up and said that it would be better if we were just friends. But then i guess we chickened out of it .. or something.It kind of scares me that when we speak about breaking up.. we're not overly upset. We're so calm about it.. I guess a part of me wishes he would fight for us.. like tell me that he doesn't want to break up. I'm always confused about the way he feels because he keeps a lot of his feelings to himself.I'm not really sure how to feel because we have never fought (couples fight right? even about the smallest things. but we don't), we care so much about each other, we enjoy spending time together, we've always been good to one another ... but even after all of that we feel as if there's something not quite right, as if something is missing. We've acknowledge that we lack communication and that our priorities don't line up (him putting other things before me.. which became a small issue. but it was understandable as to why he prioritised other things, especially when it came to putting his parents first). We've tried to fix things by hanging out, which is fun but at the end of the day..our problems still exist. I don't know, because after our break our relationship will either continue or end.It's kind of hard to let go of what we have because we've been a big part of each other's life.. and it feels like it's just going to waste because of our lost feelings of love.My mum believes that two people who care so strongly for each other speaks louder than 'i love you'. But i'm not sure what to think anymore.Am i just settling if we continue this relationship? I know it is naive to want that fairy tale like love, but i always have believed that there is always the possibility of love so much greater - where you just know that you love them so much without having to question it and you just feel so in love and the 'spark' never really goes. Something which my bf and i lack.. which i wish we didn't :(Why is it so hard for us to let each other go.. 
I don't really know what i'm asking for here.. maybe another perspective on the situation? But i mean this is just a snapshot of our relationship.. :\Thanks!

Guest [ knockOUT ]

It seems like you guys don't "fight" because nothing is said between the two of you when there is a problem or an upset. Reading about the way the two of you act in the relationship, it really seems to me to be more of a friendship rather than a romantic relationship. I feel like in a serious romantic relationship, bickering and arguing is healthy (to a certain extent), and shows that the person isn't afraid to let the other know how they feel about something and they fight for what they feel is right. Usually platonic friendships are smooth sailing because we don't open as much to the other person about how we truly feel, which is okay. But it's different when it comes to a romantic relationship, if you're thinking long term about this guy then he has to know what's going on in your mind. Maybe the first step is to TELL him that you wished he fought for the relationship more when you guys discussed about taking a break. A relationship is all about communication!

Do you see yourself spending the rest of your life with this person?You said that you're not sure if you love this person but yet you're afraid to break up with him? for what reason though? I mean, will it hurt you if you see him with someone else? I'm thinking that maybe you're just attached to him as you said that he is a big part of your life. To me, you can still care a lot for a person without really being with them.. 
ask yourself, would you be happy with him in the long run? will you be content with what you have? I think it was a wise decision for you guys to go on a break. Maybe then, you'll realize what you really mean to each other..

maybe I'll ask you this: why is it hard for you to let go of someone you don't love anymore? If you could answer this, you'd know why you should stay or leave the relationship. ~and, you'd inadvertently answer one of my biggest questions to my own failed relationship.

Guest Mullin123

I hate to be honest, but in all truth, I think that you two have to let each other go. If being with him is really a burden, or something that you have many, many doubts about, I don't think that it will last. I think that you should definitely talk to him about it, but since you've been dating for so long, I understand that you're nervous. Just because you stop being a couple does not mean that you aren't allowed to be friends, or comfortable around each other, but when a romantic relationship begins to lack any sort of romantic factor, it eventually becomes either a bad relationship or a platonic one. Fortunately, this guy sounds like a good guy, so the latter is far more likely. But don't let a guilty conscience or a fear of being alone prevent you from letting go, or keep you in a relationship that is fading fast.Talk to him. If you are feeling nervous about it, he probably is too.

Guest SahRawr

ayahuasca said: You can think of the spark as what starts the fire going but to make a relationship work takes commitment from both parties to keep the fire stoked or it just goes out.

Guest [ knockOUT ]

He does seem like a very good guy, reminds me of my own boyfriend! Things may turn around if you two of you decide to work it out and continue trying to communicate more clearly to each other. If you guys do break up though, it seems like the two of you can stay as really good friends as well. Don't be afraid to let this one go if you have to, you deserve to feel loved in your relationship and to feel like there's so much love between your s/o and you that your heart hurts (in a good way!).

Your story is so much similar to mine. We had a break too for a week. I initiated it. Like you said, lack of communication, I felt lack of being loved. His attitude started to change and his explanation was not really acceptable e.g. like he is not sure.. the only difference, it was only 8 months! And we dun even hold hands anymore. His reason: he thought i was not comfortable? I dun understand his reasoning... when i initiated that. So, during the break, i have lots of thinking going through my mind. I am not that young any more and i admit it was not easy to find someone i can click to. But, i have to make my decision. When he is not so responsive after the break, he did not fight for our love, I knoe this relationship is over. I would call it silent breakup. He did not even message me anymore... sometimes you have to trust your gut feelings..

Guest SahRawr

laur0002 said: Your story is so much similar to mine. We had a break too for a week. I initiated it. Like you said, lack of communication, I felt lack of being loved. His attitude started to change and his explanation was not really acceptable e.g. like he is not sure.. the only difference, it was only 8 months! And we dun even hold hands anymore. His reason: he thought i was not comfortable? I dun understand his reasoning... when i initiated that. So, during the break, i have lots of thinking going through my mind. I am not that young any more and i admit it was not easy to find someone i can click to. But, i have to make my decision. When he is not so responsive after the break, he did not fight for our love, I knoe this relationship is over. I would call it silent breakup. He did not even message me anymore... sometimes you have to trust your gut feelings..

Guest Aarensmith

Yeah I agree with SahRawr, I also face this situation but sometime we trust on our guts, we easily move on from some hard situtaions.

Archived