Started an online community that is tearing me apart.

hotmilk

I love Asian entertainment. 
And since I can understand both Japanese & Korean. I decided a few years ago (2010) to start finding great movies from the Japanese & Korean world, sub them and up their quality to 1080p and pump out better graphics than any others on websites such as YouTube, mega, putlocker, twitch, etc.

Back then I had nothing to do, and didn't dream of it actually taking off. But just my last video on YouTube hit 130,000 hits today and my Facebook has over 9,000 demanding followers.

I've been considering to pull the plug for a while, especially as I started doing gaming on the same channel, I have to balance subbing and uploading quality movies, be an entertaining gamer AND focus on my personal life (Which is friends & work).

I started doing it because I knew I could, I had the knowledge for it. And I know there are other fans out there who struggle to find certain movies with English subtitles or in great quality. 

So in a way it makes me happy that people enjoy my work, but on the other hand the continued workload on one person isn't sustainable anymore. I can't afford paying online people for help either as my own website & the tools that I use for videos / gaming takes a huge chunk out of my paycheck every month. 

I can't even find time to get ready my website which had stood half done for months and cost me loads. And I have already lowered my uploads to one-two movies per week and if I lower it even more it will just become a hassle for everyone. And I just don't got the heart to let the people I wanted to help in the first place, have to wait weeks on end for new videos.  Now I am leaning towards closing my website and just leaving my YouTube and other video sharing accounts that I use.

Any comments on where you guys think I should turn? I considered some help from my friends, but I don't know many who can sub a clean movie or have the video editing experience as I do. And for me this is exhausting and takes a great pull on my life, I receive requests for probably 30-40 different movies per week and even more for games. And out of that, I can manage to produce 1-2 (only editing a video and subbing takes an entire day)

Ask for help online (a post aimed at random people/viewers). It's a small chance but there are many gems (good people) who might be willing to volunteer or become a part of your team through the web.

Also, thank you for all the hard work you've done so far. I don't know you and I'm not a part of that demography/sector of entertainment but I can feel the effort you put in.

^ Yeah, there may be volunteer translators who may be available to help translate (i.e. ViKi has a huge "QC" base who translate the language into so many different languages as a team).

Thanks for the replies.After having a chat with a professional website developer that I know, I have come to the decision of setting up a small fundraiser or a donation page on my website for those who wish to help on covering that cost.And I will do the subbing myself but try and find someone who can help doing the editing (getting it from 480p > 1080p) and upload it. That will save me at least a day in total.
My main goal is to try and get a small sub team going, but having accurate subtitles is my main priority. So I will take that with baby steps

Guest ebsilverstar

I understand from what I read that you've worked very hard to get where you are today, so it's understandable that it'd be difficult to let go of everything that you've worked for. However, consider slowing down the pacing. It's great that you're considering the thoughts of others, but it looks like this is a job that while enjoyable, gives you a lot of stress. If I were in your situation, I would do one of two things. First, I would go on a short hiatus, and update my followers on my situation. Hopefully, people would be understanding, knowing what is going on. Then, I would cut down on how fast I was releasing these subbed videos. Remember that taking care of yourself comes before taking care of others. Besides, the people who watch your videos will be upset at first, but soon, they'll learn to be patient. 

Archived