Need help with a clingy crush

Guest enoughtalk

Guest enoughtalk

Long story...
So I have this friend, we'll call him Aaron. We were good friends when Aaron confessed to me that he liked me. I didn't know him that much so I told him maybe, if I knew him better, I'll like him back. Fast forward a couple of months. He pulls me to the side one day and asks me if I'm ready to move onto the next level. I was happy with the friendship and I didn't want anything more so I told him that I still saw him as a friend. He was sad but accepted my decision. From then on, he slowly starts to become somewhat possessive. He talked to me about how he was jealous I was meeting up with another friend(who had a crush on me). I felt uncomfortable talking about it so I asked him to stop and he got upset because he felt like since we were friends, he should be able to talk to me about whatever his problems were. I was kind of pissed off because I shouldn't be forced to talk about something that makes me uncomfortable. That time, I felt like I was the one being selfish so I apologized to him and we made up. A few weeks after that, he thinks I'm ignoring him or something because I didn't text back fast enough  (I was busy). He does this every now and then and it's very annoying.
Few months later, he brings up the convo we had about him wanting to further up the relationship. He wants to know 'what we are' and I told him the same thing I told him before. He accepted it and never brings it up. Then he starts to being very clingy, texting me nonstop, 24/7. I try to distance myself, texting him back every hour and he would respond back within the next minute. I don't like ignoring him so I told him that he was suffocating me. At first, he understood and apologized for it because he didn't know. It was going great for a few days then we went back to his old routine and I just stopped texting back on that day. He doesn't text me back for almost a month. I was busy with school so I didn't notice till it was too late but then, he texts me last week and pretends like everything was fine. We have a small talk about school and he stops replying.
A few days later, he texts me and I ask him for a favor. He tells me that I shouldn't be asking for favors when we aren't friends?? I get confused and ask him what he was talking about. He then points out that I haven't text him in a month and he assumed that I hated him. I'm baffled to the point I get really angry with his behavior. I'm not the type to text people first, especially boys who have crushes on me because I don't want them to think that I like them back and lead them on. But because I always reply back, no one had a problem with it but Aaron. 
So he's upset and I'm pissed off. He thinks I'm not putting much effort into our friendship, at least, not to his standards. I get mad because even with all the richard simmons he dragged me through, I got over it because I still wanted to be friends. He asks me to text him more. I don't see why I have to, just to silence his insecurity. So I told him that I was fed up with him. He should be happy with our current friendship--seeing how he never had a problem with it for the past 8 months. He tells me that if I'm not willing to help him 'fix himself', that we should end this friendship. I told him that I was just done.
So here's the question...Am I being selfish and stubborn? I really feel like he's trying to gain something more from this friendship since he can't get a relationship with me. Honestly, I feel like he's trying to guilt trip me to get what he wants.
A couple of my friends tell me that he's trying to manipulate me...but there are two of my friends who told me that I'm being really stubborn and that if I really want to stay as his friend...I should do as he says. Texting first isn't that hard anyways...I'm just not that comfortable texting Aaron first since I know he still likes me and after all that happened, I would rather just reply whenever he texts me. His insecurity is really pissing me off but...I don't know. A good friend of mine told me that if I give in, he will keep asking for more till I end up going out with him. What do you guys think? ;n;

like zantac said, you think you're friends, he thinks you're his friend, but the reality of the situation, you really aren't a friend. you don't even see him as that. You should be clear that you are not even his friend, he is just a person you know. people toss around the friend term, and it's interpreted in so many ways. think of your girl friends whom you prob have and hang out with everyday. is he on that level? no, so you should just be straight up and stop being so misleading. you're not his friend, not even that. the way you can tell is to consider, if he weren't interested in you, would you guys interact (talk/hangout) like.. at all?? because pretty much all male-female relationships involve neither being interested in each other. so if he weren't interested, would you guys still be talking? would you guys be friends? I'm so confident your answer is no, so in that case, you don't see him as a friend even.

so just stop talking to him. you don't really want to anyway right? sure he is clingy and he'll be a little sad, but he set himself up for that. he should understand you're not interested, but then again, for you to say that you're happy with the friendship is very misleading too. you're happy with the current state of the relationship, it's not really a friendship, just slightly higher than acquaintance, and it's that current low level that you're satisfied with, which is not at the level of a friendship yet.

omg, I've repeated myself way too many times, I hope you get the drift, you're not his friend, just tell him you don't want to talk anymore, because face it, when he stops talking to you for real, you will not even notice.

Now this is where you should have dropped him. Few months into this friendship and you can tell his motive for agreeing to remain "friends". He wants more from you.
enoughtalk said:
Few months later, he brings up the convo we had about him wanting to further up the relationship. He wants to know 'what we are' and I told him the same thing I told him before. He accepted it and never brings it up. Then he starts to being very clingy, texting me nonstop, 24/7. 

Guest enoughtalk

Wow, thank you so much for your replies everyone! I'm glad you guys think I'm not being stubborn. There are some friends that are on his side and they're starting to ignore me but, I would rather not be friends with them. They don't understand how he's being manipulative and they're calling me selfish but, there's nothing I can do to change their minds without sobbing angrily about it. :/
But thank you so much again! Reading your replies made me more confident in my decision! Since our last text, we haven't chatted but rumors are being shifted around so, maybe I'll be back when richard simmons starts flying q _ q. I'm probably going to have to leave our social circle to keep our friends together.
@nin: ?????? thanks for the advice????

^ I'm sorry to hear that your friends are picking sides even though it's none of their business. Don't feel pressured by jerks like him and your so-called friends. I just read your original post and read the line about you helping to "fix him". (Sorry I skimmed through some of it before.) If he wants to fix anything about himself, he should probably rely on a professional or his own self to do that.

My friends don't always text me back immediately and it's annoying though any sane person would understand you can't text back if you're busy.

@5880 " like he walked 1000 miles to fall down at your door" I saw what you did there.

It's nothing about selfishness. Everyone is selfish to some degree. It's about respect. You showed that you have some self respect by not just bowing to his demands. You showed him respect, not that he was due much, butnin the end he failed to reciprocate that respect and has graduated from being a pain in the butt to someone who you should give up in as a friend. "Aaron" has a sense of entitlement that is as wide as a truck. Throwing the "help him fix himself" bs should be the straw that breaks the camel's back. He's going so low as to try and guilt trip you, this is someone you should defriend not befriend.

Sadly I've been in "Aaron's" shoes when I was much younger and a hell of a lot stupider. At least for me I grew out of it and learned my mistake. He'll either grow out of it and learn what not to do or turn to the dark side and become some crazy stalker

• 3 weeks later...
Guest applejuicechaser

Yes. You are being selfish and stubborn. Cut the tie and move forward, you're leading the poor guy on. Unless, you like him in the other way..

From my experiences, once somebody tells you that they have personal feelings for you, and you don't like them that way in return- you kind of don't see them or feel the same after that point. There are always special circumstances with more well-rounded individuals, but guys like this behavior, is what i like to call "love blind".. i've been through it in middle school, and some people i know sadly goes through it haha.

There's many ways you can deter people. For instance, i try not to break a sweet heart that's not my type, by gradually changing their perception of me. They come to the conclusion, "wtf was i thinking?" And move on. Makes both parties feel good inside.

• 2 months later...

Archived