What would you tell your 16 year old self?

Admin

If you could somehow remind or advise your 16 year old self, what would you choose to say? Try to avoid "I live my life with no regrets so I would not tell my younger self anything." Let's be creative!
I think one of the things I would tell my 16 year old self would be that, as much as it seems so important what others think about you, at the end of the day what's most important is how you think about yourself. Good friends will come by being yourself, that way you are more likely to meet those who like you for the person you truly are. Also, HAVE FUN MORE haha, university is tough!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 16 year old adolescent with contempt for authority isn't going to listen to any advice from old people out to crush their world. I think the older Greeks enjoyed hubris, watching young men challenge a lion or lifting that five-ton marble column over their head. Our modern equivalent is recorded on Youtube and compiled for a marathon of binge scoffing.
Anything I list would rob that humbling experience of being wrong and reflecting on it. One needs to deal with the consequences of careless slander/rumors/gossip or long-term social impact of being a jerk by treating some as subhuman or inferior. Adolescence leaves a lot of kids with fantasies of striving to show off themselves come some hypothetical reunion in ten years or whenever, living in the shadow of their former self meanwhile. It's a confusing time for all exacerbated by pressure to be the one that succeeds. The best, the most ruthless, uncaring, self-driven person because that's the nature of our world, right? Not exactly but the distorted ideology of competition is alive and thriving. 
Adults aren't so different from teenagers, only difference being money and autonomy. Same petty clique/group politics and conflicts, only worse because graduation is four decades away and moving away is not covered by the parents. Learning to interact with others no matter who they are (creed, class, ethnicity, etc) or what they do (lawyer, writer, comedian, machinist, etc) is something neglected in pursuit of nurturing the selfish ego. Can't place the blame on developing minds though--crappy "mature" role models beget crappy values. They might be able to handle the nuances of duplicity but the simple explicit guidelines will be misread by the inexperienced. I went into college with very sheltered views of the larger population beyond myself and am glad I was made aware of these flaws halfway through.
It's all a process that I feel needs to carry out without intervention. Cognitive dissonance, that jarring moment of consciousness, has to develop by itself and the mind needs to recognize when it is wrong. Advice should come in the form of conversations and maybe anecdotes that counteract the naive optimism indirectly, not as some sort of commandments or a do-instead list. This ideally preps leaders or just decent average people who can think for themselves, not socially dependent cogs who serve some nefarious goals like money or fame or immortality.
Summary: an richard simmons-kicking, physical or mental, is a wonderful thing

Guest cherrieo

I probably told myself to rebel a little and hang out with friends more often because I have such over protective parents. But looking back, I do see myself mature by a little from spending more time with my family rather than going out partying. Life has its up and down and I just have to deal with it. :)

If I did change what I did when I was 16, I'd not be where I am today. I bummed about in high school, scraped through university, got my masters and at the end of it all? I spent the last 6 years working, travelling and holidaying around Europe. Yeah, I don't think changing what I did back then would be such a good thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sallyen

To the 16 y/o me: Damn, you did well and don't change a thing about yourself. In a year you'll be 22; finished your degree and everything is basically going pretty swell for you.   

Guest herovueboi

I get the feels just thinking about what I would say to my 16 old self. "Grandma is gonna pass away December 2nd 2001 so you better buy a lot of life insurance and tell her you love her every day until that day".

Guest HERMIT

Oh gosh, I don't think I would have anything to do with facing my 16 year old self.

I get enough grief from society at large when interacting with minors that I'd probably have the cops called on me.

Guest deeellely

I'd tell my 16 year old self: "Do what makes you happy, don't do things because your parents or anyone else want you. You need to stop trying to please them so much, especially when it hurts you on the inside. You can't do everything for them because they rely to much on you. If you want freedom, get out there and declare your freedom. Because if you don't, even at the age of 23, your parents will still treat you like a kid, demanding you to do things for them, and even when you do things for them, they never trust you enough to give you the freedom you deserve...even if you're a good student and that you don't do anything bad. STOP TRYING TO PLEASE THEM AND BABY THEM! They can't do anything without you helping them. And if you want to go to your dream college, GO. Don't not go because your parents asked you to stay closer to home. Do what makes you happy" 

hey 16!no.. i or you still go nowhere. haha, i mean, i've got job. but,. not sure if this is all what u want.'we' have gone many hard way actually. believe me, u will be shock when i truly mean it.just keep strong my sixteen.. there will always be a new door for any shut window. ouh, dont worry. i have some plan to do with our life. just enjoy ur 5more years before u be on my stage right now.love ur family 16. ur dying without them. i knew mum is cruel sometime.. but.. she love u. dont worry. peace,,,
p.s - u will have a new brother in 3 more years, hahahahaha.

Guest ariadne82

I'd tell my 16 year old self not to care so much about being invisible to boys and not to worry so much about grades/getting into University because that isn't the only way to success. Wish I'd known that not only at 16 but 5 degrees ago too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived