I Have No Friends...

Rip Tide

What I mean is I have no best friend and I feel lonely for some reason... I can't find someone who has a lot of common interests with me... I don't have someone that I hang out with and the friends I meet usually fall off... Is it because I'm looking for someone that's too similar to me? I don't like the way some people are. The people at my school are just too...different. I'm like the only asian who has retained at least a little bit of my culture. How do i make a best friend? I'm sort of a loner and that's ok sometimes...

Where do you live? What do you like to do consistently during free time?
You're not doing anything wrong. It's best to find a person or insert yourself into a community with common interests.
Here are some random suggestions:- go to a church and make friends there. some churches have good fellowship (bowling night, movie night, etc) which is a great way to hang out and get to know people- if you like to play games online, join a guild or strike up a chat with random people and befriend them- look for book clubs/discussions around the city, or rollerblading/bike club where you ride around together- strike up conversations with people on OkCupid (it helps to ease the loneliness and you might actually find cool people)- continue using Soompi and message some people

Guest Keion

It's common to look for people who are like you.

People who are like you, pose no threat to your ego. You won't need to defend yourself, or have your ideals threatened, whatever they are.

Secretly, it's comforting to the ego to know that no one is like you, and that you're much too different. Although the pain of isolation you feel is no doubt real, it is self-created, and you should be aware of that so that you can stop pretending you're so different.

Everyone is unique, but we're not that different. Everyone can cry when they experience loss. Everyone can feel elated when they experience gain. Most people are always after something.

But you can guarantee with absolute certainty, that everyone only wants to feel complete.

I definitely felt this way MANY times in my life. Alot of my friendships form through work (because that's where I am most of my days *sigh). Especially with people you work with frequently, you tend to bond with them and look out for each other. Also when I went to college, I met friends through the dorm I was living in and the clubs/groups I went to.
It's hard to have a goal of making friends because life doesn't work that way... you can't force friendships. So the best thing that worked for me is to just be myself, friendly and just let relationships form organically.

Sometimes you just have to be the one to take initiative to get what you want. I've felt like how you did many times and occasionally still do, but then I realize it is my fault if I felt "alone," and reflect on reasons why I seem to be socially-awkward/anti-social or w/e. My biggest problem was that I was picky with choosing who I associated myself with (yes, this is shallow of me). And when it comes to wanting to make friends, beggars can't be choosers. Not that we are beggars but basically, "lower" your standards or be more accepting of people who hold different opinions from you. Another contributing factor is if you're the type to automatically make assumptions of people based on their financial statuses, what they're wearing, their grades in class, or even the people they hang out with (aka judging them). Yeah, sometimes they turn out to be what you initially thought they were, but most of the time they don't so hey, give them a chance if you even feel an ounce of hope you guys can click with each other. Others mentioned joining social organizations and that really helps since these groups are based on a common interest or goal so from there you can branch out and find what else they may have in common with you. It also works to introduce your hobbies to others and get them to try it! If you don't feel like you fit in with others at your school then that sucks assuming you spend most of your time there. Is the location you are at generally filled with people like that? There is the internet but I personally don't know about meeting people through it. . . ? Like I don't think you can make a "best friend" in a cyber world (too good to be true for my taste?). Sometimes the key to being sociable (aka approachable/friendly) is selling yourself, lol. I remember one girl told me "I thought you were a richard simmons at first because you would always sit in the front and never look at us." I was always paranoid about how people might judge me so I would put on a poker face all the time and mind my own business. Unfortunately that just gave off the image that I'm a cold person. :/ The hardest part for me about making friends is the amount of effort you have to put in to maintain it (it varies from person to person; they could be chill to wanting to hangout frequently). It's easy to make acquaintances but in order to move on from there you guys will have to communicate regularly. Socializing is fun but I get exhausted easily. Thus, my circle of close friends is only 2-3 people.I'm sure you'll definitely be able to find someone you could confide in one day :D 

Guest johnpatric

Don't try to compare yourself with other to make a best friends or don't look common things. because the A person that you no longer consider as a friend. They have become a part of your family because you consider them as your brother or sister. Throughout all of your happy and sad memories, they have always been there for you. Everything they say behind your back, they have already said to your face. They stick up for you even when you're not around to see. Their moods change to match yours (like when you're happy they're happy, and when you're crying your eyes out they'll be right there crying with you) They will be determined to cheer you up no matter how much you want to stay in a negative mood. Their house is your second home =) this is the definition of best friend or true friend so just look for the right person who was and who is always with you. my be he/she is your best friend and you don't recognize him/her..

Yeah... that happens... you may not have any friends and you do feel lonely, especially if you used to, but they drifted away. I sorta feel that way now. I made 2 great friends, but both moved away half a year ago. Let me tell you it is NOT easy making a best friend. You really have to click and just let it happen. You can't search for a best friend, it just has to happen. Just like dating, you can't search for love, although you can search for a s/o and hope feelings develop... but in the end stuff like that really depends on raw baseline compatibility, and it's the same with best friends. you just have to be really lucky that you find a person that can be your best friend and things will flow naturally. You can open up possibilities and go places to meet people, but you really can't force friendship and you can get as many numbers as you want and call them all up and have milk tea and a brisk discussion, but in the end you have to find that one that really makes it click with you. gotta say, it is annoying and lonely not to have friends -__- I would say on average it took me 6 months to a year to make one of these friends... and it's not like we were talking for 6 months and eventually we decided we were best friends... I meant something like.. I went about my daily business and whatnot and I ended up meeting someone that eventually became my best friend and the frequency of meeting this kind of person is roughly 2 per year. In my whole life... the ones I'd call best friends... In elementary school I met 2, in highschool I met 1, in college I met 2, post college (2 years out now) I met 3 + a gf. they are rare and far between so really cherish them when you eventually meet them and realize they are your best friend. I also have a bunch of close friends who I hang out with and we always enjoy chilling, going out to eat, talking, but I wouldn't consider those my bestest of friends... those best friends that I do have are special in some way... that separates them from the rest. no matter how nice my close friends are, how much we like hanging out with each other, they don't have that special xyz that would make us best friends...

I try to find myself...but in the process everything gets blurry... Sometimes I dream of a new student coming to my school, but it's just hopeless to do that. Honestly, I hate it at my school because people don't think like me... They live in such a microcosm and I just went to camp which broadened my horizons. Those kids at camp were supposed to be fantastic...but they're not what I expected. I'm probably going to stay with my class for two more years...and in the first two years I haven't attached to any friends... If I haven't made a best friend during freshman and sophomore years, then I'm not going to during junior and senior years...

Why do you need a best friendIt's not a requirement in life or for anythingYou also spend time thinking about things that don't even matterI'd hate to have a friend like you
In other words, start investing in yourself, get to know yourself.I didn't say go find yourself, I said get to know yourself.

What do you mean when you say I spend time thinking about things that don't matter? I seem to think other people do that. I'm interested in school and everyone is interested in current events. People talk about sports and what do you have to gain from that? It's all right to bond over that, but in a year it's going to be useless unless you create memories. I'm into actually doing sports or activities.

It's inspirational to see how others live life. It creates a paradigm or standard for me that other people can't dream of. I guess I should stop looking for friends and try to work hard and get into a good college. Maybe through that I can find people with similarities.

Still, what kind of friends should I make? Anyone have any suggestions?

A friend is usually someone who you can be comfortable with and talk about common interests. Have a joke around and share your thoughts with.So, you are right to look for someone with similar interests. However, friends don't need to share 100% interests. 
It's good you are into sports and activities. Have you joined a club or go to regular sports activity?Is there any one there you want to get to know better or feel comfortable with?

Rip Tide said: What do you mean when you say I spend time thinking about things that don't matter? I seem to think other people do that. I'm interested in school and everyone is interested in current events. People talk about sports and what do you have to gain from that? It's all right to bond over that, but in a year it's going to be useless unless you create memories. I'm into actually doing sports or activities.

It's inspirational to see how others live life. It creates a paradigm or standard for me that other people can't dream of. I guess I should stop looking for friends and try to work hard and get into a good college. Maybe through that I can find people with similarities.

Still, what kind of friends should I make? Anyone have any suggestions?

Guest starfishnuna

Sometimes, good friends are hard to come by. Maybe if you widen your range of acquaintances, you could find 'the one' bestfriend.

I agree with the poster who said you don't need a best friend for survival. Because truth is, I don't have a best friend either, and I don't really care much for that. What matters most to me is that the people around me, my family, co-workers, colleges, or acquaintances I hang out with from time to time are happy. As you grow older into adult hood, everyone will go their own separate paths; they'll each have their own boyfriend/girlfriends and will devote less and less time to hanging out with friends, because ultimately, they will get married and start their own families. I'm considered an outcast among my classmates/co-workers as well; we just have different mentality, my mental maturity is practically > 2x my age, so it is hard for people to connect to me, but easy for me to relate to others. I don't feel lonely that I can't find a friend who would understand me 90%; I'll save that for my significant other- my boyfriend. I don't need a whole lot of people to understand me, just 1, the one closest and whom I love most is enough. 
You shouldn't worry about feeling lonely because you don't have any best friends; there are no permanent friends. What matters more is that you should focus on what you want to accomplish in life, in your careers and such, and develop yourself more. Your friends are always changing, and meeting new people, whether it's new classmates in school, or new co-workers at your future jobs. Bottom line is, just live everyday of your life to the fullest, and be happy about it, don't worry too much about the friendship thing, friends come and goes, you will always be meeting new people. 

• 4 months later...

Archived