What do you think about living with your boyfriend sophomore year of college! ADVICE? Thanks:)

Guest collegeloving23

Guest collegeloving23

Hi everyone, so my boyfriend and i are attending the same university this year. He is a year older and already goes to this school. This year (my freshman year) im dorming on campus with some friends. My boyfriend is off campus with friends as well. Next year, my sophomore year and his junior year we were considering getting an apartment together off campus. We would have separate rooms next to each other and share kitchen/living room. We have been dating for 3 years and by then it will be 4. Any advice? Is this a good idea? Any suggestions? Pros: we have a great relationship, it would be fun, we could figure out if things would work out ( like marriage) before we continue our relationship just to be doomed, share expenses etc. cons: living space, 2 bedroom is expensive, we are young Thanks for responses!!

Guest collegeloving23

even though this is a year away im planning now so i can start to think about thinks throughly. This wouldnt be some rash descision. Also i no we are young but we are both mature, and have been on vacations together (out of the country alone) and such. Also the contract would be seperate with the leasing place. So my name would be on my room and his name would be on his. So if things went bad (hope not) he would still owe money without affecting me. We also talked about it and if things did go wrong at that point there is only months left on the lease and we would have to deal with it. Like i said we would have our own rooms and different schedules and friends. I no having a serious bf can take away from the college experience but i really think i will marry this guy. Also i wouldnt say its an "experiement" but we do want to figure things out. Being in a relationship has so many pros but you do lose part of the college experience ( partying, multiple partners etc) so if (hope not) things didnt work out i would want to no as soon as i can so i can have more of that freedom, and not give away time. It would really be horrible in my opinon to date someone for 7 years and after college decide to live together and realize it didnt work. Because i cant get those college years back or meet someone new or anything. So as much as it is an "experiement" i think its worth it and we love each other so it would hopefully work. Im not concerned on the leaving or money aspect whats so ever, we both would live up to that responsibilty. Im more worried about him being over whelming, losing time with friends, being off campus and distracted from school- although i cant see any of that occuring its a concern But i really think it will work and i believe in love, this is the guy i wil hopefully marry

if you feel ready then why not? question you need to ask yourselves are when push comes to shove, are both of you able to deal with it amicably? i personally wouldnt seperate the rooms. feeling comfortable with my partner (a result of being in a relationship for 3 years), naturally wed sleep in the same bed.

Guest [ knockOUT ]

I think it's a great idea! I would love to live with my boyfriend in our own apartment, but our financial situation won't allow it. I think it's a great opportunity and you should take it, there's no harm done in trying. The great thing is that you guys have been in a relationship for a while now, so it definitely sounds like a committed and serious relationship, and so naturally the next step is to move forward and move in together! Have fun. :)

I think living with each other is a great way to find out more about a person. And if it doesn't work out then at least you'll know that before anything serious like marriage. You guys have been together for quite some time now, are you both excited about this plan? Or is he excited but you're not?

Guest atarie

don't do it... if you guys don't work out... GG... like you'll be stuck in a lease with him for the next year... that sucks... i say play it safe and keep things separate... even if you've been dating forever... it's just to be on the safe side... but that's my two cents

Guest jgman

I'd say don't do it. Aside from the obvious risk of a break up and the painful awkward atmosphere it can cause, I think you'll be missing out on a much wider and fuller university experience. It's not just the "partying and multiple partners" aspect, but it's really fun to live with friends rather than just your significant other. Sure, even if you lived with friends, there's still a chance of it being a horrible experience too, but at least the fall out in comparison to just living with your s/o is, I'd say is a lot less risky. At least you'll be able to crash at your boyfriend's, if your roomies were being annoying. 

I personally found, that living separately from my boyfriend at university was totally fine (great, even). It gave me the space I wanted, and whenever I got bored of my place, I liked the fact I could go stay somewhere else and hangout with his roommates instead (and end up meeting new people too). It just helped to liven up my day to day university routine. It also gave me a fuller sense of independence, not saying that you're not independent if you lived just with your boyfriend. But I found that of the couples I knew who lived with each other, even if they did work out for the year, were always together in a "they-were-one-person" sense, not that the couples I knew in my experience, were co-dependent on each other (well some did become like that, which is quite unhealthy), but as much as they evidently enjoyed each other's company, they were quite isolated. I think living just by yourselves, you do run the deeper risk of sliding very easily to not seeing your or hanging out with your friends as much, although of course that very much depends on your personalities etc, and it may not happen to you. 

You sound quite sure about moving in with your boyfriend, and that's cool too, but living separately is just as much fun :)
You're still young, and if you're confident that you'll end up marrying your boyfriend, why the rush to move in together so quickly? There will be opportunity to live together in the future, despite the "experiment" idea you mentioned, you'll still definitely get a sense of what it will be like to live with your boyfriend even if you lived separately (considering the sleepovers and general hanging out at each other's respective places), maybe not as cohesively as if you were to actually only live with your boyfriend. But, I think living separately you'll get the best of both worlds. 

In the end, go with what you think is best for you, and I hope either way you'll be happy with your decision! 

Archived