Would your parents understand if you don't want kids?

Guest Kerriganton

Guest Kerriganton

I notice a lot of people are opting out of having children.

Are you one of those people, and if so would your parents understand and support you?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well a bit sad ifff my parents would said they agree with my opinion to not have kids.sometimes kids are annoying, but they also can become the most lovely person.not anyone can having a kid, so if God gifted you with pregnancy, don't ever hv thought to abort that. that's absurdddd.if you don't want to take care of baby when they are born, you can gave him/her to an unlucky parent that didn't have kids.

I have a funny feeling that my mom wants grandkids. Well, I don't want to have kids. I want a quiet home with a husband and many pets. Maybe I would like to work with orphaned kids in the future. Kids are cool sometimes but there are many issues in having kids. I know that many people take having kids lightly. My brothers will probably give her grandkids so what would she care if I didn't have kids?

I am told by two friends that I'm crazy for not wanting kids. The fact is that I have a concern for orphaned kids or mistreated kids in the foster care system. My strong desire is for those kids to find a place in the world. One of the friends said something about someone looking after me when I'm old. A lot of the elderly are capable of taking care of themselves because of their good health and good exercising regimen. Even in my old age I would like to be active. Sometimes adult children tend to put their parents in bad retirement homes anyway.

Originally they did not. But then my sister had my nephew, their first grandchild, and realized how much work being a grandparent is and the limitations it put on her... And now they're completely supportive. lol
It went from constant nagging on "When you have kids" "It will be so nice WHEN you have kids" to "You should really look into something more reliable and permanent" and " I can't believe the nerve of that Doctor to not let YOU choose what to do with YOUR body!" XD
My MIL is still hoping for some I think, but doesn't speak on it much, maybe 3 times in 7 years... But my SIL is getting married soon, so that may change as well. raasyndrome said:
if you don't want to take care of baby when they are born, you can gave him/her to an unlucky parent that didn't have kids.

Simply no.

Its a cycle, from generations back and because as I was getting on later into my 20s. My mum wouldn't stop saying how I was getting old and that if I leave it too long to get married and have kids. I may not be able to have any as I was getting too old. Yes the conversation was always about me 'getting to old'.

Also people do change their minds about kids. Have a friend ive known for years, never ever wanted kids. Her parents, her husband and friends all knew this. When I found out she was pregnant. I was in total shock because she had, over the15 yrs ive known her, said no to kids. Now she is the most happiest ive seen her in her life, being a mother.

So whatever you may feel now. Later on in life, it may change.

Guest StephanieG1430294150

In my culture, the females get married and start a family around their early 20s.

I told my parents the reasons I probably don't want to have kids is because: A) I'm pretty much a workaholic, B) schooling, C) I fail in maintaining a intimate relationship.

They're surprised, but are supportive.

Guest I_play_with_dolls

I keep telling my parents I don't want kids but they keep thinking it's a phase. I can tell people this is for sure not a phase. I am mentally too unstable for children that I at times had people to have to take care me (ex. Taken to hospital/stabilized)The only reason they want me to have kids is because when I die, they want my inheritance to go to a blood relative. I was just thinking of giving my money to an orphanage or organization that helps children in poverty, but they are against that for some reason. 

Guest motherducker

I've talked with my mom about hypothetical situations where I grow old alone and child-less and although she says she is supportive of whatever decision I make, I know deep down she and my dad expect grandchildren someday. 
I consider myself still pretty young so I don't actually have a conclusive decision on whether or not I want kids, but I'm a very go-with-flow person so if I have kids, eh. If I don't, eh.  

No. My dad would support me if I chose not to have a child but I know he'll be disappointed. My mother (all the females in my family in fact) expects me to have a child. I do think I will be having a child but my plan is to have one and adopt another, which is where the problem lies for me because BOTH my parents are against adoption. 

Guest lolaleatherwhip

Umm, no. My mum always tells me I'd regret my decision when I become really old and have no children or grandchildren. She says I'll be missing out on a certain type of happiness or joy that you experience when seeing your children and grandchildren grow up. Meh. Don't know about my dad though; we don't really talk about this stuff *shrugs* I don't know, just the thought of pushing babies out of my wooha terrifies me. I'd opt for adoption though.

Guest Keion

Some will not perpetuate our race, due to many reasons.

I am one of these people.

If there are others that want to make the on goings of my life into their problem, then I am happy to oblige, especially if they are family :).

They are fully aware that I do not want kids. I mean right now they're glad because they know I won't get pregnant anytime soon seeing that I'm only 21. But yeah, same with @lolaleatherwhip people tell me that I'll be missing out on an experience "ALL WOMEN" are supposed to WANT and that I won't have anyone to look out for me as I get older...
I think I'm smart enough to understand that to have kids you must have a WANTING for them. And the world is overpopulated enough...

Guest wishy-star

So I have 4 siblings that are significantly younger than me. They're 8,9,19 & 23 years younger than me and I was there through everything. The pregnancy, birthing room of my youngest sister (I held one of my mom's hands!) and I feel like helped raised them all. I changed every one of their diapers, filled bottles, rocked each of them to sleep, cried when they started school, and I love them all soo darn much.
Now I'm wishy washy (as I always am) about having children. Growing up I just wanted 2 children and now I'm unsure if I want one or none. My mom has mentioned she wants at least 1 child out of me for the sake of my future in laws but she's accepted whichever choice I make.
My boyfriend also does not want children but he wants a little princess if we do decide to have a kid.

lolaleatherwhip said: Umm, no. My mum always tells me I'd regret my decision when I become really old and have no children or grandchildren. She says I'll be missing out on a certain type of happiness or joy that you experience when seeing your children and grandchildren grow up. Meh. Don't know about my dad though; we don't really talk about this stuff *shrugs* I don't know, just the thought of pushing babies out of my wooha terrifies me. I'd opt for adoption though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asellus

It's absolutely right - my parents demanded me to have a child with my GF and getting married, but for what?? I'm not ready for parenting there are lots of things I bother about like health of the child, toys, education lack of time I visited couple of sites dedicated to it like Baby Haven and there are described things I shoul think before pregnancy..

Archived