How do I get rid of Acne?

Rip Tide

Acne occurs for different reasons: food, hormone imbalance, hygiene, environmental factors..etc you have to find out what is the main cause of your acne.
For me, it is definitely food. I have red meat allergies, so if I eat beef, turkey, duck, etc...I would break out easily [along with itchy skin on face, it's just my cheek areas]. Besides the meat, also food that are oily. I also can't eat peanut/nor peanut butter, that makes me break out as well. So as long as I stay off red-meat I won't have any acne issues, I don't sleep early either, honestly it is the most difficult thing in the world for me to sleep at 11pm nowadays. I eat 80% vegetable and fruits and 20% lean meat [namely chicken, fish and sea food, I noticed that I can't tolerate other type of meats]. As long as I don't eat junk food [everyday] I won't break out. The main thing that sets it off is red meat for me.

I've never had acne and actually cant recall when I've seen someone with acne in my sunny region.
I think sun (in reasonable doses of course - 10-20 mins per day) can help get rid of / prevent acne.

Guest roastedmilktea

There is no conclusive research evidence that diet affects acne, however I noticed that for me at least, cutting down on chocolate decreased my acne outbreaks. I also  strongly suggest a regular sleeping schedule and reducing the amount of stress since hormonal imbalance could also contribute to the formation of acne. Lastly you want to keep your face clean, wash it twice a day. Don't over wash and keep your hands off of your face.
Treatments I would suggest is a face wash with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, or/and benzoyl peroxide gel (benzoyl peroxide is very good at treating acne, it dries the plugged follicles and kills the microbes, your skin will be very dry though). If your condition is VERY serious and persistent, I would suggest consulting a dermatologist and maybe get some tetracycline or accutane. These are some very serious medications, tetracycline is an antibiotic with many side effects and accutane inhibits sebum formation, so only use them as a last resort with the approval of your doctor.

Guest lasereast

I think you should need to stay hydrated and drink as much water as you can.and in this kind of problem you should need to work on your diet and make your daily schedule such way that it should contains daily exercise.

Guest MarilynMendel

I too had acne on my face. I used many skin care products but no change in my skin found than my friend recommend me to use beauty products from distributors beauty products. Don't know how good it is yet, just started using it. But the product is really fine and It makes me look and feel good.

First: drink more water if you can't eat better or sleep more. It helps flush out toxins. 
Two: products that really work for me:
Kiehl's Rare Earth Pore Cleansing Masque
Clinique Acne Solutions Emergency Gel-Lotion 
The first one is actually a pore masque, but you can put a bit on your acne for the night and it should dry the acne up significantly. It is good for when you have an event to attend the next day, since it works overnight! It's pricey, but it is good for pores and acne. 
The second one is spot treatment and is quite drying, so should only be layered thinly on acne. I find that this one doesn't quite work for the acne that has pus showing, and takes a few days to really kill the acne. 

Guest danerdz

i use just one product...
Gatsby Wash Acne Foam: http://www.gatsbyglobal.com/usa/product/jpall/facialcare/

I used to try loads of products but this is the one that worked for me. It's meant for guys' skins so it might be slightly harsher? My sis uses it and the acne clears up to like 1 pimple in 2 months.

Guest linnhhh

Before i started using anything, I went to get a facial. Detoxing from a facial will help as a first step, and then your face will start clearing up in 24-72 hours and then you can use remedies to keep it up. I agree with you definitely have to drink lots of water!

Have you tried cutting back on junk foods, spicy foods and oily (deep fried) foods? ._.

Try eating some of the things listed on this website: http://zarpatedincat.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/10-foods-that-prevent-acne-how-to.html. I find it helps my bf with his acne problems, though they come back when he starts indulging in fast food =.=" Just make sure you're consistent with your diet and reduce the amount of fatty foods/take outs to once a week/every 2nd week. And when you first spot a pimple on your face, cleanse it with a daily face wash and exfoliate. You can even put aloe vera, avocado or toothpaste on the spot because those cool the pimple down and reduce the swelling and redness - it works whenever I get a pimple anyways. Good luck~! ^w^
~ Betty

Guest motherducker

I had pretty bad acne (the red scabby kind, euck) in middle school and my doctor prescribed benzoyl peroxide. It helped me a lot.

Dabbing toothepaste on pimple spots and leaving them on overnight helped as well.  

As others had mentioned: drink plenty of water, cut back on greasy/junk food, don't touch your face with dirty fingers, and wash your face at least twice a day.

Guest LongN

“You are what you eat” is a good saying to describe how you should generally go about treating your acne; Well at least the one that occurs due to non hormonal or environmental issues. I often hear a lot of people say there is no conclusive evidence linking diet to acne…but the sad truth is no studies really been done because the outcome does not have profitable incentives. However, the suggestion of vitamins and other supplement should be enough evidence to prove that diet does play somewhat of a role.
If you reduce your sugar intake, avoid process food, spicy, and diary then you will have clear skin in no time. Note that sugar comes in many forms, I recommend a low GI diet. For many asian people, low GI is difficult because the consumption of white rice results in a spike in sugar level. Personally, I switched to eating a moderate serving of rice about three times a week and look for alternatives for the rest.
I can sit here and type a whole thesis on why diet does work but I don’t want to bore you with the details. This is a long term solution that has come to from years of research and experience. Haven’t had any acne in…a couple years now and helped others in addressing their. Just keep in mind that acne is not normal and should not be something you have to live with. It can be controlled naturally without all these over the counter (temporary) treatment that will cost you a fortune.
Best of luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lasereast

I mainly suggest to use herbal products for skin. Aloe vera gel is the best to the all kinds of skin problems. You can also make paste of Turmeric, Milk and Lemon and apply it on face. After some time wash it with clean water. You'll get a glowing skin through this.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neiva103

Try to use honey and sugar for scrub. Take some honey then mix the sugar with honey together and rub it on ur face, rinse it of with warm water. If u have pimples take some lemon squeeze it till u get the water dip some cotton ball into the water pat it on the pimple and acne. If u want to get rid of pimple fast use white toothpaste (not the gel one) put it on the pimples let it dry for a night then pill it. Hope this help ^ ^

Guest myungheenuna

• do not eat junk food
  • do not consume any form of dairy
  • drink lots of water
  • eat your veggies
  • do not sleep with makeup on
  • avoid touching your face
There are many things to help get rid of or tame acne. The best solutions are these that I have listed. What I do is drink veggie/fruit smoothies and wash my face thoroughly (I recommend the clarisonic). I also warn you that when you quit consuming dairy, you will go through something called a detox (depending on how much dairy your body has had over the past years of your life) and it will make your acne increase. This is good, since it means your body is getting rid of all the waste in your body. When this happens I recommend you don't give up and continue following these guidelines. Also use some reliable acne medications or soaps while this happens. These worked for me (keep in mind that I have combination skin and my face can handle extreme acne meds): Acne.org, neutrogena pink grapefruit scrub, and anything from Nature Republic (I use Bee Venom). Do not take any pills! It may seem a lot, but don't think of all this as a diet. Think of it as a new life! ^^ Trust me, it feels good on the body as well other than your skin. 

Archived