The difference between Asian fashion and Western Fashion styles

Guest youngswish

Guest youngswish

What are your thoughts on the differences between the fashion styles you see in your city and the fashion styles you see in Korean dramas. Are they VERY different? What about if you were born in a Western country like US, Australia, UK, would you tend to lean towards the Asian styles (what they wear in korean dramas) or western styles (hollywood movies, tv shows etc).

Guest SugarLump

I'm in the UK, down south, so it's mainly branded sportswear, T-shirts and jeans. In summer; jeans are swapped to shorts, vest tops, flat shoes or flip flops. The areas really ignorant compared to London, I get a lot of slack for wearing a skirt or dress, as it's deemed to attract men here or a going out thing. I still stand out in London for some reason, maybe due to colour choices, its pretty much browns and blues in England which doesn't go with my skintone, as I'm quite dark.

Everyone seems to think London is fashionable open, it's actually only around fashion students and fashionistas, the rest remain conservative and very dull. I very much dress like Kdramas; the layering the cheerful brighter hues, skirts and dresses, boots or heeled shoes as opposed to flat shoes and sport shoe, obviously I receive quite a few nasty comments and glares. I've never been comfortable in jeans, flat shoes often give me blisters around the heels, I dress due to health reasons and what I find comfortable. I often wonder whether Japan would be the better to live in or if it's just around Tokyo?

Guest Hades1430292066

I'm in Australia and by the looks of it, the fashion scene is the same as umsik's area. Tbh I think Australia is one of the less fashionable countries simply because we don't have a lot of good stores here. As far as I know we only have one Zara and Topshop in the whole of Australia (though a second Zara is due sometime soon). Of course, you have indie boutiques in the city which can be lovely but they mostly cater to women, so it's all cute 'n' stuff.
Korean fashion for men is pretty lovely and I normally dress like that when I don't want to dress up, but I can't deny my love for Japanese fashion. More than once I've had (older) people compare me to the fashion scene in Japan when they were there on vacation. Glorious esteem boost, that is c:.
So tl;dr
Harajuku>Korean>Australian

Guest youngswish

Hmm yea ok i see. I totally agree with you when you said Australia is one of the less fashionable countries, since i lived there most of my life. As for a guy, i see 3 categories in which we dress as in Aus. Most commonly during summer: broad shorts and t-shirt (what you would wear to the beach), more dressy fashion such as clubbing shirts and suit pants with leather shoes, and lastly during winter i see a lot of people in hoodies, black/brown sweaters and jeans. I always wondered what people in Australia thought if people wore clothes like in K-dramas etc. And to sum it all up, i can only think of couple of good stores as well eg YD, Politix as the only stores i would shop at, so mostly i have to buy stuff online back when i was there.

Guest gisellaaa

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia and I grew up in Texas. Indonesia's fashion is mostly a mix of Asian and Western fashion. People here dress nicely whenever they go out (you rarely someone with 'casual' clothing outside of their houses). Although since the popularity of K-Pop, Korean fashion sure has influenced A LOT of the current trends here. There's all sorts of fashion here in Indonesia and it's not like everyone generally follows the same fashion 'styles', it differs by person which is what I like about it here.
But in Texas everyone is pretty casual. Most people just wear Nike shorts, baggy T-Shirts, skinny jeans, crop tops, shorts, flats/sandals/TOMS, clothes from Abercrombie&Fitch/Hollister/Aeropostal/etc. They dress pretty much like your average American person. Not as much variations as Indonesia though. But I do love the clothes in Forever 21 and in Wet Seal. 
I think it's safe to say that people in Asia dress less casually and more 'dressy' whereas Western countries seems to do just the exact opposite. Well that's just my opinion anyways. 

America, the land where anything goes. I think people in major cities usually dress nicer overall (but a lot of time that's because they're wearing business clothes, not necessarily fashion). I've seen people wear pajama pants out and about, it's like really??? Do you still sleep in those?

Guest StaRR&

Asian fashion (for women at least) is very girly usually and put together.  I just came back from China and most the clothes I've seen in their stores would actually fit right in with Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, etc. The difference is how they match their clothes. I would see a top that is super cute and in America people would just match it with like casual shorts or something.  But in China on the mannequin they go all out.  They'd match it with some frilly skirt, tons of jewerly, some pink leggings and heels, etc etc.  Individually, the pieces don't look any different than clothing in america.  America is more about "oh I just threw this on and it looks good" whereas Asia is more "look at me, I definitely spent time and thought into my outfit"

I think Asian fashion is a lot more girly, more frills, I had a stage once where I would shop from online korean stores for clothes but it I kind of end up not being to wear it in Australia because it looks odd. Australia more American influenced, I don't know what you guys were on about because I'm surrounded by a lot of fashionable people. And these fashionable people usually buy their clothes online from overseas though. Some of my guy friends just wear G-Star or dress really hip hop like. They wear a lot of branded stuff like Obey and Mossimo. I know one guy who wears a lot of stuff that he buys from Hong Kong, he dresses Korean and they call him the Korean one but never anything negative. There this girl I know who is really into K-pop and Korean things so she dresses quite Korean. She wears like peter pan collars and cardigans and stuff, which is real cute. I use to dress like that too at one stage haha but I got over it. Maybe it's just the people you're surrounded by, but I think Melbourne is a pretty fashionable city, you go into the city and there is a heap load of people with various fashion sense and people are just appreciative of the uniqueness of it all. Of course there is also a hoard of teenagers who dresses pretty much the same and wears the latest trend has no unique style whatsoever. They're style is mainly american though. So right now they're all wearing tights and crop tops. 

Guest Hades1430292066

@endlessxlove
I used to live in the city and I occasionally travel up to Brisbane every couple of months, but I live in a pretty rural area so the style is definitely different. I agree with Star a lot, it really depends on how you coordinate an outfit. Anything can look impressive if you match it with the right accessories, shoes etc.In my first post I was going to go into online shopping but I cropped it out lol orz. To me there are three groups of fashion;You get people who buy cheap, paper thin and - dare I say - mainstream clothes at say Supre or Jay Jays and no matter how well you work that outfit, if there are ten other people wearing that same shirt it just isn't the same.Then you get fashionable people who don't/can't shop online, so they make do with indie boutiques and can piece together an outfit fairly well with what they got.Lastly you  have people who shop online almost exclusively (like me). With online shopping there's so much more variety and if you know your stuff, you can always look stylish.
I think the closer to the city you are, the more fashionable people are. However like someone pointed out above, there are a lot of suits in the city and to me, you can't hardly go wrong with a nice suit. However I do think Melbourne is one of the more stylish cities, though I could just be biased because that's where Andrej Pejic was scouted lol.

Guest neofiona

well, dividing between Asian and Western would be a little too broad
here in Canada (same for the States), most people tend to dress more casually
you can see tees and jeans, loose-fitting clothes and such
but when i travelled to European countries, it's a whole lot different!
a larger proportion of people care about fashion
they like to wear slim-fit clothing, with detailed cutting, vibrant colours, etc

same for Asian fashion
japanese clothing is more inclined towards the cute style, with more embellishments and there are more layers
but i think korean clothing seems to be a mix of european and japanese fashion cos it's slim-fit like its european counterpart but at the same time it values the role of embellishments to brighten up the piece of clothing

• 3 months later...
Guest theshoeheaven

Not a big difference between Asians fashion and western......... They adapt to each others fashion and some time Asians change westerns fashion.......... Now in this modern era everybody involved in the fashion so.............

Guest iuunniefan006

Since I was born in the U.S., I have been exposed to the western style. I noticed during the cold seasons people would bring out their sweaters that are more muted and uggs are a huge trend here! During the summer, the clothes are more exposing especially the girls. Asian fashion on the other hand has more colors and mostly focus on the demure kawaii style. The theme stands, but during colder weather summer clothing can be brought into the cold. I am more fond of the asian style, personally.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest ilikeph0

I live in LA, US and the fashion scene here is VERY diverse! No one judges you if you wear a huge bright long dress with white hair one day and switch to something different the next day. There are some casually fashionable people who dress in jeans or rompers on a daily basis, but there are a lot of vintage or alternative styles too. Maxi dresses are popular in the summer too..

I think Asian styles tend to be more colorful and less exposing, but there are definitely exceptions.

I'm an Asian-American, born and raised in the U.S. since birth. There isn't much of a difference in clothes between Asian and Western fashion, but I have noticed throughout my academic career since middle school that international Asians and American-born Asians style themselves differently. Back in my high school, you could easily tell who was American-born and who was an international student. based on what they wore--the American-born Asians would wear clothes from typical American brands like A&F, Hollister, etc. while the international Asians wore what we Asian-Americans called "fob clothes". Yeah, that's what the Asian-Americans at my middle and high school called the clothes that international Asians wore--fob clothes. Keep in mind that back then, Asian fashion wasn't seen as trendy as it is today. Nowadays, I switch between dressing in that style to Japanese mori-kei style to "i don't give a richard simmons about my appearance" style.

Guest Fayerith

Asian (especially)  ends to go all monochrome these days, but I can't stress enough that it's true that they got influences and inspirations from the west.These past month, I've been seeing leather jackets everywhere on the street of Seoul. It's the hot trend right now!
Oh and I just posted something on my blog regarding what people wear on the first day (today) of Seoul Fashion Week.I think you'll pretty much understand what I mean by going all monochrome with a tiny splash of color ;)
DSCN1141.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GeminiGabRiElleSG

SugarLump said: I'm in the UK, down south, so it's mainly branded sportswear, T-shirts and jeans. In summer; jeans are swapped to shorts, vest tops, flat shoes or flip flops. The areas really ignorant compared to London, I get a lot of slack for wearing a skirt or dress, as it's deemed to attract men here or a going out thing. I still stand out in London for some reason, maybe due to colour choices, its pretty much browns and blues in England which doesn't go with my skintone, as I'm quite dark.

Everyone seems to think London is fashionable open, it's actually only around fashion students and fashionistas, the rest remain conservative and very dull. I very much dress like Kdramas; the layering the cheerful brighter hues, skirts and dresses, boots or heeled shoes as opposed to flat shoes and sport shoe, obviously I receive quite a few nasty comments and glares. I've never been comfortable in jeans, flat shoes often give me blisters around the heels, I dress due to health reasons and what I find comfortable. I often wonder whether Japan would be the better to live in or if it's just around Tokyo?

Archived