Friend vs Lover

Guest Starlitelet

Guest Starlitelet

If you honestly had to pick between the two, who would it be? 
If I'm truly in love with my SO, and I know I can spend the rest of my life with him, then I will pick my lover without a second thought. As cheesy as it sounds, if I know I found "the one" then to me they're not just my lover, but also a best friend. I only consider my SO to be my best friend in any case. It's someone that I will one day live with, and start a family with. II'm not going to do that with my friends. Most likely, I'll never be living with them anyway. I know people usually say their friends essentially come first because in case anything happens then at least you still got your friends. However, I feel that's just the way society shapes us into thinking. It's as if it's wrong to say you'll pick your lover over your friend. 
Also, the quote, "Lovers come and go, but true friends always stay" doesn't justify for me. I mean, if the person is your true lover then they'd do anything to stay too.
Obviously, you shouldn't have to choose between the two, but if you had to, who would it ultimately be?

Guest tainted.skies

Hmm, I would choose my lover in a heartbeat. He knows me better than any of my friends do, regardless of how close they are to me. I'd personally say that it is the friends that come and go, and that it is much harder to replace your significant other. 

Guest brokenmachine

I think it's just the definition of "lover", which in the context of the quote only means a romantic thing, so if you and your best friend fell for the same guy, don't cat fight over it...
But if it was your s/o from a serious relationship, of course it will be him/her as top priority, and doubt there would be many circumstances where you would need to choose between s/o and friend. 

a true lover stays, a true friend stays.... people who make these sayings just never had the experience.
look at ur parents, im sure the majority of us have parents that dont seem to have many close friends, but are together all the time as a family. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Krrypton

i think i would choose my friends. In need, a friend can be a mother, father ,guide, mentor even a lover.

Personally i would choose either friends comes and go family comes and go also. I experience things i shouldnt have at my age. Ive been betrayed by both party and i trust people to easy. If anything ill choose my kids over anything or perhaps my right hand lol anyways why choose when you can have both

Guest I_play_with_dolls

Depending on my situation at that moment, as of right now I would choose my SO because he's pretty much the only friend I have now. To be honest though if I was still friends with my ex best friend of three years I would choose him over my SO but after our incident that answer has totally changed. 

Guest hearthealer

My SO better get along with my friends or there will be issues.
True friends are harder to come by than lovers. My friends have seen me through some really rough periods in my life and always stuck it out with me and I cannot imagine being forced to pick one over the other....I have picked fights with ex-SOs over their disdain for my best friends and honestly IMHO, if he/she really loves you, they won't interfere in your friendships because they would understand that everyone needs a support/network system and they won't pressure you to give anything (that's not harmful to you, like say drugs and over-boozing) up.

• 1 year later...

I agree, and think the same way as you do; my fiance is much more than a lover, he is also my best friend, someone who understands me and is able to communicate with me on other topics. I put my lover in first place because he will be the person that I will marry and spend the rest of my life, and build a family with. True friends could always be there too, but eventually all your friends will find their other halves, marry, and have their own families; sooner or later the friendship will somewhat diminish, because they too will be focusing on their family as well. Before I dated my fiance, I didn't have a best friend nor any "close" friends, I had friends but non of them could ever really communicate with me on the same level, nor knew me well either. So all in all most of my friends were on an acquantiance-level type of bonding.                                                                                                                          

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alisonbrown856

Actually its depends upon the situation because friends and love they both are having there on place in our life so In my life I want both.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2013 at 11:39 PM, Starlitelet said:

If you honestly had to pick between the two, who would it be? 
If I'm truly in love with my SO, and I know I can spend the rest of my life with him, then I will pick my lover without a second thought. As cheesy as it sounds, if I know I found "the one" then to me they're not just my lover, but also a best friend. I only consider my SO to be my best friend in any case. It's someone that I will one day live with, and start a family with. II'm not going to do that with my friends. Most likely, I'll never be living with them anyway. I know people usually say their friends essentially come first because in case anything happens then at least you still got your friends. However, I feel that's just the way society shapes us into thinking. It's as if it's wrong to say you'll pick your lover over your friend. 
Also, the quote, "Lovers come and go, but true friends always stay" doesn't justify for me. I mean, if the person is your true lover then they'd do anything to stay too.
Obviously, you shouldn't have to choose between the two, but if you had to, who would it ultimately be?

Hello Friend...

Just relax and dont think too much about friendship and love... All that u have to do is sit and make yourself strong in both.. Live with both equal relationships without any expectation and Love them without flaws..  You have to be a good friend as well as a true lover... If u are really confused in relationshiip, just play a game :blush: Everything will be clear after diverting yourself into something interesting..Let me suggest u a online game .. Compare your love with celebrity couples and share it to one you love and make them feel special..

Archived