Dry Skin Tips?!

Guest jennyyeex3

Guest jennyyeex3

From one of the bloggers from my blog :) 
I’m sure I’m not the only one that faces these problems… The thing is that nearly every Youtube tutorial or blog post is always talking about the miraculous ways to solve super oily skin… I mean that’s great and all when I was in high school I had oily problematic skin. However, I blotted it and it wasn’t much trouble after that. But now with the harsh crisp winter air, stress from college, and other problematic matters my skin became surrounded by patches of dry ugliness. Then I realized I was starting to get fine wrinkle lines how bad can my life be to get all of this at once!
When I had dry skin it was easy to actually cover it up with foundation and powder it down so it looked less shiny. When I tried that with super dry skin the foundation sank into my faint wrinkle lines and made them more noticeable, as well as the dry skin patches looking worse and turning red from irritation. I spend well over a year trying out make shift facial masks, freaky Pilipino cures that I won’t go into, and numerous amounts of different moisturizers. Anyways here are a few dry skin tips that I used to help my problem.
My fast cure prior to this whole thing was using Vaseline and smearing it on the dry spots… This time around it didn’t work. Then my dad said “What’s wrong with your face,” I know such kind words right? So we went to The Body Shop, where they boast about their Vitamin E products (Cleanser, Toner, cream, night cream, serum). I bought three of them as a deal, it sort of worked for awhile..  But like ProActive for oily skin it only works for awhile.. Plus my dry patches were still there and red…
31k1EkrSDRL._SL160_.jpg41giWUS%2BW0L._SL160_.jpgTo view her recommendations/product reviews, visit http://ragsandrichesblog.com/dry-skin-tips/ and please leave comments telling us what products you use to cure dry skin!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mastermei_

I don't have super dry skin but I do get the dry flakey patches on my skin in winter if I don't take care of my skin and these are some tips if you haven't already applied it onto your skincare routine:

1) stay away from foam cleansers they tend to dry out your skin more, use cleansing oils or cream/milk based cleansers to wash your face.
2) try and stay away from any skincare cosmetics that contain alcohol contents
3) If you don't already, invest in a good SPF with at least a factor of 15 and a PA factor as well to prevent premature aging
4) for your wrinkles on your eyes it could just be dehydration underneath your eyes, if you already use an eye cream you might want to switch it for a more moisturizing and one that targets anti-wrinkle/lines - Origins do good eye creams
5) For serums I use the Caudaile S.O.S thirst quenching serum - I'm sure you can find other cheaper alternatives to this, basically it's just a serum that targets dehydrated skin and helps maintain moisture and plumps up the skin.
6) For moisturizers I use rosette hyaluronic acid gel which comes in a hello kitty container, or you can find other products which contains a lot of hyaluronic acid in it, it works wonders for my dry patches! and my cousin who has got dry skin all over loves using this as well. Another product you can use is Avene's Skin recover cream they do a Rich version as well so if you have SUPER dry skin you might want to use that product, but do be aware I think that product contains mineral oil well the normal Skin Recover Cream does. Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentrate is also a product I recommend but it is quite hard to get your hands on, it's just a very rich standard moisturizer but it makes my skin SOOOOO soft and rehydrated but if you can't find that anywhere or if it's too expensive for you because if you buy it online it is quite expensive.. you can try the Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream this works sort of like the Skin Recover Cream but I don't think this one contains mineral oil which is a plus.
7) Exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week and concentrate on exfoliating more on your dry patches. Use a exfoliator that works for your skin, I recommend using a more high end exfoliators as a cheaper brand could damage your skin because of the particles of the exfoliator is probably not as smooth and well made as a high end one.
8) Use a primer before make up, go to any makeup counters and ask for a primer that would be suitable for your skin condition, by doing all those skincare stuff your dry patches shouldn't be as visible any more so ask for a primer that helps to provide moisture and glow to your face so your complexion looks more healthy.
9) For Foundation use a cream compact foundation I find those to be better for drier skin types or you can go for liquid but make sure that the foundation is made for dry skin or it will make your dry skin stand out more and stay away from foundations with any shimmer/glitter particles in it
10) Stay away from using powders but if you want to set your makeup to make it last longer use a makeup setting spray, MAC and skindinavia do good ones for all skin types.
11) If all else fails try going to a dermatologist as they are real experts and would prescribe you to products that is specifically for your skin type.

Good Luck ^^ ~

Guest joyce2010

Try using Holika Holika water march (green) It is moisturizing and helps control sebum and pores as well ! I use this myself since i tend to have dry skin from time to time and I dont have much oil but i prefer the green instead of the pink. The texture of this product is really really thin. It feels really good and cools your skin. It has no oil at all so you wont feel sticky or oily after using this. You can research this item online if you want but this one store i shop called SUne is having 10% off on all products including this one so you should def check out their website. I believe it starts on the 12 :) have fun hope this helps

Guest hanilee

I do this everyday and I swear by it. My skin is in the best condition it has ever been in since I hit puberty. (Even though it still could be a lot better...) 
1. Never ever ever ever use a towel after washing your face. Towels carry bacteria so it undos all of your cleansing, and they suck out the moisture along with the water on your face. Just pat your face with your hands to make your face absorb the water.2. While your face is still damp, use a toner (optional) and just apply it to your face with your clean hands. Cotton balls just absorb a lot of product and waste it. 3. While your toner is still soaking in, apply moisturizer. This creates a layer to protect the toner and water underneath so they will soak in.4. Don't be afraid to add more layers of moisturizer after the first one. Your skin may need another round after absorbing the first one.5. If your face is getting dry during the day, spritz it with some toner or water in a spray bottle.6. Do not exfoliate more than once a week. I used to exfoliate a lot and my skin was super dry and patchy and gross. It's really bad for your skin to exfoliate too often.7. Make sure to drink a lot of water and eat healthy food. :)8. Get sleep! I am terrible at this one... ㅠㅠ

As for products I love Garnier's Moisture Rescue Gel Cream for Dry Skin. It is super moisturizing and inexpensive. The toner I use is by Simple and it makes my skin so happy I can't even... I used to have really patchy skin (super oily t-zone and dry everywhere else) but these steps and products really help. Also I would say don't use powder or foundation, but instead go for BB Cream or tinted moisturizer (on top of your regular moisturizer).
If cleansers are drying out your face a nice DIY is an oatmeal cleanser. Bubzbeauty has a video on it and it really works! I don't use it at all anymore just because I don't have time and it's kinda messy, but it's definitely worth trying. Yogurt masks are very hydrating too. I suggest mixing plain yogurt and honey. ^^
I also have some no makeup pics of my skin so you can see how it is now. ^^ (I swear it was super gross before. I wouldn't ever have taken no makeup pics especially not this HD lol.)

34evxj8.jpg2qsmhkl.jpg

Um yeah it's not amazing but I just thought I'd share what is working for me. ^^ Good luck~

Guest maybeilob

Natural yoghurt is absolutely fantastic for flaky and dry skin. I always use it as a mask during winter. However, my favourite homemade mask has to be rice powder, milk and lemon. It's my go to mask if I've got a big party or somewhere where I need to look good. It leaves my skin super hydrated, soft and feeling all 'plushy'.

I don't normally have dry skin (I only suffer a bit when I use benzoyl peroxide) but I also second the above poster's recommendation of natural yogurt as a mask.

I also want to suggest that those of you with dry skin try CeraVe's Moisturizing Lotion. You can buy the facial moisturizer version or just the regular version lotion (I recommend the latter since the ingredients in both products are nearly identical and they cost about $15...with the regular version being way larger in size). CeraVe is the only lotion I've used that seems to truly hydrate the skin - it works really well and soaks in immediately. If your skin is severely dry, you can perhaps try CeraVe's Moisturizing Cream (however I personally wouldn't use it since it contains mineral oil).

oh my gosh i get the worst dry skin during the winter.I use Simple Night Cream and Day Cream, both are about $10 in Target.It's a pretty cheap remedy to a serious problem; I don't have enough money to spend on expensive creams!They have also evened out my skin tone pretty well.

Guest ch0psticks

I have eczema so I have just about the driest skin you can have (and yet I still had acne on my forehead...). After trying a million different things, I tried going the natural route. I don't use any synthetic cleansers or moisturizers, I just massage jojoba oil or extra virgin olive oil all over my face right after I shower, and this is the best decision I have ever made for my skin. It cleared my dry patches and surprisingly all my acne!

Guest Beautiful*Nightmare

I swear by Cetaphil moisturizer to cure my dry skin, especially during winter season.  I tried a lot of moisturizers and serums, but Cetaphil is the only one that keeps my skin supple and comfortable all day long.
Also, try to exfoliate twice a week to get rid of those dead flaky skin.  I suggest honey and sugar combo. They're all natural and they do wonders on my skin.
Good luck!!

Guest Lailani

Have you guys hear of UGUISU NO FUN? its like a bird poop mask and its very nice for dry skin.. I only use it for like 2 times a month and it solve my dry skin problem.
i think the reason is due to the urea in the bird's feces....

Guest brokendoll

Don't exfoliate too much. Swap and change products within a few months apart to get good effects from them. I get dry patches and The body shop vitamin E line is pretty good for my face.

Guest sincerelydolly

Beautiful*Nightmare said: I swear by Cetaphil moisturizer to cure my dry skin, especially during winter season.  I tried a lot of moisturizers and serums, but Cetaphil is the only one that keeps my skin supple and comfortable all day long.

Guest sigillumdiaboli

Well I have pretty dry skin, I'll just write down my skincare regime Note: I don't wear makeup so you may not be able to do this
Morning
1. Rinse face with warm water
2. Rub flaxseed oil all over face - let soak for five-ten minutes
3. steam face for five-ten minutes
4. wash off oil w/ wet wash cloth
5. apply green tea toner (homemade - green tea, salt, honey)
Night
1. Rinse face with warm water
2. rub wet oatmeal all over face, wash off
3. coat face with 100% pure honey, let sit for 20 minutes
4. wash off w/ wet wash cloth
5. pat face dry
6. at this point i'll either moisturise with flaxseed oil if my skin is abnormally dry, but it doesn't get like that anymore because of my regime, so I moisturise at night only a few times a week. 
7. dab any blemishes with a bit of 100% pure tea tree oil 
I use avocado masks about 4x a week, sometimes mixing it with salt if I have pimples I soak cotton balls in milk and green tea and let it sit on my face for 20 minutes, whenever I'm not too lazy to do it haha
I do a facial peel every few weeks (MAKE SURE THERE'S NO ALCOHOL IN IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)

I'm currently using the Cerave Moisturizing Cream, and I love it! I needed something more emollient for the colder weather, and this far exceeded my expectations. It's the first moisturizer I've ever used that actually hydrates my skin and doesn't simultaneously leave it looking greasy and shiny. It's specifically for sensitive skin, so it shouldn't (and hasn't, for me) cause breakouts or irritation. Some people don't like that it's in a jar due to hygienic issues; well, if you're going to be putting something on your face then your hands should already be clean, so there shouldn't be a problem. I HIGHLY suggest this moisturizer; it really is fantastic. :D

Laneige Water Sleeping Pack. Use it a couple times a week and you will feel plump and moisturised.
Also, don't be afraid to use a thick/rich moisturiser at bed time. You may feel worried that it'll make your skin more greasy, but it won't. Sometimes our skin gets oily because we are not moisturised enough. (Also, an obvious one but drink lots of water).Drop the vitamin E serum and use a natural rosehip oil serum - it's so hydrating and great for rough patches and scars, patches etc.
Once you have a regular routine going invest in a facial treatment every few weeks to slough all the rough skin off on a regular basis (but don't use any rough products yourself at home).

• 3 weeks later...

If dryness persists definitely look to changing your moisturizer to a more hydrating one.
The sides of my nose were disgustingly flaky no matter how much moisturizer I slapped on at night. I even dreaded foundation because it highlighted the issue even more so finally I invested in Cliniques' dramatically different moisturizing gel and hallelujah!! in two days it cleared up :)

Guest Hello! Project

I don't normally have dry/rough skin, but I was going through a rough patch (pun intended) when evil hormones and winter air were ganging up on me. Nothing would help! I tried coconut oil, shea butter, everything. Eventually it went away but in my war against dry skin I found Origins Antioxidant Moisturizer and OMG*dies* it is amazing. 
I'm using that, Ururi by Kanebo (another moisturizer w/ collagen and hyaluronic acid), Shiseido White Lucent Anti Dark Circles and Brightening Serum and Pores no more by Dr. Brandt (i think that's the name). Not all at the same time of course, I switch up moisturizers but I always use moisturizer+serum+pore minimizer. My skin is no longer dry...in fact it's back to oily combo.

Guest fashionista.

The best approach to managing dry skin is to avoid using commercial creams and lotions that contain mineral oils and other petroleum products.

Guest Hades1430292066

I would recommend olive oil. It's cheap, effective and is most likely in your kitchen right now.Olive oil is used in many makeup product and does not clog pores. It is also an effective and all natural moisturizer. I would also do facial massages, for they increase blood flow and also help oil glands. They say that massaging aggravates oil glands (and not to do it if you have oily skin) but like dissolves like, and that's another bonus of olive oil. Use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and don't buy oil that is made in Italy because there was a lot of scandal that olive oil made over there was/are really just parts of different oils. I'd say go for something made in your country or better yet, try and find someone locally who makes it. I've also seen/heard that olive oil is a great makeup remover.
Try your skin on Korean masks, too. Also go for milk products or even milk in your fridge. It acts as a toner, a very gentle exfoliater and makes your skin fairer. You can also use yoghurt. You can pour a little bit of milk into a cup, dip your fingers into it and keep splashing it on your face. You can wash it off immediately or you can leave it on for however long you please. Just be warned, if left on it for a long time, the milk will make your face feel tight (not in a dry more, more of a 'you can wash me off now' way). Another alternative is to use cotton balls.
Cucumber facials are also very, very popular in Korea and targets dry skin. And hey, cucumbers have a high water percentage. Just cut very thin slices of cucumber and leave them on your face for ten minutes.
Hope that helps.

Archived