need help choosing a flatiron! (ASIAN GIRLS OBSESSED WITH STRAIGHTENING PLEASE HELP)

Guest aznshordy

Guest aznshordy

I want to buy a new flatiron since my old one is about to die. I don't like it at all so it's out of the question to get another one (i got the $40 ones that you can get at the mall in the booths). My budget is around 100-150 MOST. I am debating between getting these irons:
1. Sedu Revolution Tourmaline Ionic 1"2. Chi (the regular 1")3. Babyliss (original 1")
What i'm taking into account is whether or not it will keep my wavy hair straight all day, whether or not it will kill my hair (i don't want split ends the NEXT DAY after i straighten my hair. i get that flatirons kill your hair slowly but i don't want one that will only allow me to straighten my hair once a few weeks because it literally turns my hair crunchy), and whether or not it has a temperature adjustment (i don't want my hair super fried but i tried the Chi and my hair is still pretty okay so i think 400 deg should be okay? but im not sure), and how long the product lasts (i heard the chi breaks after 6 months of usage). 
I had GHD straighteners in mind also, but they are easily over $150 so I don't think I'd even begin to look into those. help a poor asian college girl out!  :) 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Anti-Static-Digital-Ceramic-1-Straightener/14978527
It's $15 but I hear that it's amazing. I know someone who has uses one on a daily basis for 2 straight years. You can also curl your hair with it if you want that option as well. I think the only way you can really prevent split ends is to not use heat on it. OR just use a really good heat protectant, something that is higher in silicone content on the ends oppose to the rest of your hair. But ALL heat products will cause damage to your hair so there isn't a flat iron that won't kill your hair.

Guest catenacci

Has anyone tried Lionesse? I've only tried it on the mall (booth) and I feel it did work wonderful, my dry hair become much more moist. The lowest deal I could get was around $150-210 + comb + some hair product. You can even use it with wet hair, the water just dropped to the floor, seriously no burn smells. But anyway, I didnt buy coz dnw to do impulse buy before unsure about it. So I wonder if anyone have heard about it or review, but for now I can say it's pretty good straightener. He said they use onyx instead of ceramic. (if I'm not wrong, the booth is called Herstyler II)

Guest loveletters

I've never tried Babyliss, I have a Sedu and I love it. It gives you that pin straight look, it also heats up really fast. My friend has a Chi, the downside is that it has 1 temperature setting but it makes your hair feel silky. Between the two I'd have to say I prefer my Sedu over the Chi though. 
cutefluffyemily said:Was thinking of getting a flat iron as well.
Can someone explain to me what is the difference between an expensive iron (like CHI) and an budget one (like Revlon)? 
ie-Is hotter the better? the material is better (if so, what?) or simply just the brand...? 

Guest xhelloricey

I currently have a Babyliss right now but I'm not too fond it it. It feels kind of flimsy to me; in my opinion anyways. I used to have a Solia 1" flat iron and it lasted me 4-5 years but one of the plates popped off. I miss it T__T. It was an awesome flat iron! Definitely worth the investment. i got mine from http://www.folica.com/
good luck! :D

Guest jayjay4jj

cutefluffyemily said: Was thinking of getting a flat iron as well.
Can someone explain to me what is the difference between an expensive iron (like CHI) and an budget one (like Revlon)? 
ie-Is hotter the better? the material is better (if so, what?) or simply just the brand...? 

Guest Celestra

CHI is really good. I've had mine for years, bought it for around $130. It has temperature control and as long as you use heat protector, it doesn't damage your hair too much. I use mine probably every other day or so and it still feels decent but I only go max up to ~370 degrees.

Before my CHI I had one of those budget straighteners and it was so terrible that I gave it away. I don't regret the $ I spent on my current straightener...I think the ceramic component makes it better? honestly I'm not too sure. My first one damaged my hair pretty badly, though.

http://www.target.com/p/chi-turbo-digital-1-flat-iron-black/-/A-11231631#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_4
^here's the one I have - it lists the price as $199 but I got it on sale/when it was less.

I've had my Sedu Ionic Ceramic Pro for over 4 years and it still works great. It heats up really fast and straightens my hair in one pass so that helps reduce the damage to my hair. My hair stays straight until I wash it.

• 1 year later...
Guest MelS1430293483

I personally recommend the fastest, most thorough flat iron I've ever had, the karmin g3. Go to karmin.ca for more info

• 2 weeks later...
Guest palmsizedtiger

I got my Chi for $75 dollars at Ulta, you can always find Chis on sale, never buy them at the $100 dollar mark. I even have one with a cute design as well. I'm not quite sure where you are reading reviews saying that is breaks down within 6 months of use? Mine has been fine for years with no problem in sight. I recommend a Chi or a babyliss product (I love their miracurl, doesn't seem to damage my hair quickly). In my opinion if you can splurge for the babyliss I would go for that because it's more salon quality, they really do make wonderful tools. All heating tools will damage your hair, but ceramic plates (full not just coated) will damage your hair less quickly. If you're straightening your hair every day, to cut down on damage, I recommend you do deep moisturizing treatments once a week and dry oils to condition your hair even further. Find a good heat protectant as well before heat styling. 

Sedu is amazing. I have the curling iron, straightener, and blow dryer. It's actually made in korea and probably why it does so well with my korean hair. Although all my friends that have used it that are not asian love it as well. I've had mine for 6 years and it's still going.

Guest paorheta

I have wavy hair and i used to have a GHD and it was the best when they first made it,then i bought a new one and it didnt work ,and started getting split ends.I think the new ones are not the same as the old ones,so i bought a Sedu and i love it,gets my hair pin straight :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Janie Lee

baby bliss :)  had it for like 6 years. works perfectly and straightens hair like no other :) 
www.youtube.com/koreanlovesbeauty

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jennyle52

GHD straightener is truly the best straightener there is out there. It is worth splurging the extra 50 dollars for it. I've tried Chi and Sedu already. They are both good but not as good when compared to GHD. I use to straighten my hair everyday and only the GHD did not fry my ends. The best feature about it is the feature that shuts the straightener down when it has not been used for 30 minutes - for those who tend to forget to turn it off! Also, it curls the hair sooo nice. Trust me, GHD is worth your investment, especially for something you plan on using on a daily basis. I had it for more than 4 years and it still has not died on me :) Best of all, all my gfs who have used my GHD ended up getting one for themselves haha

Guest grey_ic3.

Another vote for GHD, I've used mine for 6~ years and it's basically paid for itself. I bought a CHI before getting the GHD and it gave off a horrible burnt smell the times I tried to use it. The CHI was probably a lemon so I exchanged for a GHD. If it's really too much, I would save up for it, instead of settling for something else. =)

Guest motherducker

I've been using CHI and it is a god-sent present. Although I've never used GHD (heard many good things about it), CHI heats up really fast and is fairly simple for me to use as I don't regularly straighten my hair or instead, straightens sections of my hair.

Archived