Do you think SNS & chat messengers are slowly making SMS obsolete?

Guest lualm

Guest jaekyung03

Not necessarily. I use Kakao and WhatsApp but I still prefer to use SMS. Maybe it's because of my crappy data plan.I don't think SMS will be fading away any time soon even with the growth of SNS and other texting apps.

Guest AiMango

It depends on if you have a data plan or not. If you don't, then the only time you can use chat messengers is via wifi. and SNS can be accessed via desktop, so I think it's less relevant. 
I find that a lot of people still rely on text. Not a lot of my friends use chat messengers TBH, we mostly communicate through text and SNS. I guess chat messengers are nice for those communicating internationally, or if you want to do group chat. 

• 4 months later...
Guest leelee.

No. I have unlimited texting and picture/media messages... but no data plan. I do like using KakaoTalk but like @AiMango said, it's useless without Internet. Plus, none of my friends use the same IM apps that I do. None of my offline friends use Kakao; they have Kik and Line accounts instead. With texting, it doesn't matter if you're on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc because it all just goes straight to your phone number.

Not in the near future (~3 years). Text messages are probably carrier's best cash cow left after data plans. I do think eventually it will be obsolete once data networks become better and a new standard will emerge. Voice over data will soon become, and then data only plans have the ability to exist.

Archived