Dubbed anime isn't "localized" enough

Mannosuke

So the other day a friend of mine told me that the anime industry still hasn't learned how to dub things properly.
He says that the target audience of dubbed anime is mainly americans (he is referring to series aired in america because he is american), so all of these japanese locations and references are simply foreign and make the series much less understandable.
Instead, they should be replaced with american equivalents.For example, any reference to "tokyo" should be changed to "new york" and if someone's got a kansai accent, it should be referenced as a "texan" accent.This way, american kids will be more engaged with the show and since more americans would be able to relate to the characters in the show, anime series would get higher ratings in the states.
Do you think this is a good idea?

I've seen this done before, like in Azumanga Daioh, Osaka who is from Osaka and speaks with an accent in the English dub is said to have a Texan accent and her voice actress spoke with a southern accent. It was understandable because an accent like a Texan accent was the only way to express that Osaka spoke differently from her classmates. But I personally don't like it and find it a little annoying. I rather watch it with the subtitles and listen to it in Japanese, otherwise it takes me a few episodes to get used to it. If they can keep it the most legit as possible the better. But I've liked anime for a while and know about Japan. I don't know how much anglo-sizing anime would help make it more popular in the States. I don't think it will help much because the art itself is so different, American kids have to get used to that first. Which many American shows are already changing their art to look a little more anime, I think.

An example of mine is Ookiku Furikabutte, the voices in the dub! Had to get used to it! Abe's voice in Japanese is gruff so in English the voice actor sounds like an older man. And they all have southern accents for some reason? Because they play baseball? And Tajima's voice who is just a hyper guy was a little sqeaky. lol. I still like hearing the orginals more. But I don't like being overly picky. As long as I can watch it I'm happy really.

And I think they did a really good job with the Ouran Host Club dub voices.

Guest ReplayMVP

I think it depends on what the TV show is about. Honestly for shows that have military aspects like Gundam, it has attributes from many areas. The original Mobile Suit Gundam had references to Grand canyon and St. Anges. So that's why I personally enjoy animes that involves a global view.

For fantasy shows, they usually have made up paces such as Naruto and Fairy Tail. That's why these, I find, to be more popular for kids and teens altogether because it's something fresh and new to everyone who reads it.

For Slice of Life shows, I see this problem primarily. But I feel those shows also delve deeply into Japanese cultures. I think it's actually important to keep it true to the nature of the creator's intentions. It's not right to change things just because we don't understand it. It's like expected to change landmarks and references in American TV shows just because those around the world aren't familiar with it. It's hard to translate certain phrases and also certain aspects of the show in America though. But for the things that don't need to be change should be kept the same.

Like what cutiek028 said about accents, I would consider that annoying too but hey, at least they're attempting to keep it true to the author's intentions even though certain accent are individual to certain areas in Japan. It's gives the viewer insight on the fact that people have different accents in Japan by relating it to American accents. As long as it educates the viewer without it being confusing the viewer, that doesn't sound all too bad.

But generally I think dubs should be kept closely to the author's original intent.

Archived