[Movie 2012] An Introduction to Architecture / Architecture 101 건축학개론

pechumori

Architecture 101 (Korean Movie)

photo223486.jpg

Movie: Architecture 101 (English title) / Introduction of Architecture

Plot

35-year-old architect Seung-Min (Uhm Tae-Woong) receives a visit at his office from a woman. Seung-Min doesn't recognize the woman at first, but then realizes the woman is Seo-Yeon (Han Ga-In). Seo-Yeon is his first love, but he hasn't seen her since his freshman year in college. Seo-Yeon now has a request. She wants to hire Seung-Min to rebuild her home on Jeju Island.

15 years ago, Seung-Min (Lee Je-Hoon) is a naive young man beginning his architecture studies in college. He first meets Seo-Yeon (Bae Suzy) in his Architecture 101 class. As they work on a class project together, Seung-Min and Seo-Yeon begin to fall in love.

Back to the present day, Seung-Min is hesitant to take Seo-Yeon's job offer. Seo-Yeon persists and even goes to his boss with her wish. Seung-Min now has no choice, but to take on Seo-Yeon's home project. Old memories of love and heartbreak will soon resurface, as they find themselves at different junctions in their lives ...

Notes

1. Filming began October 25, 2011. The first scene filmed took place at a cafe located in Hannam-dong, Seoul, South Korea. Filming finished on January 8, 2012 and took 11 weeks to finish. Shooting locations took place in Seoul and Jeju Island.
  2. Director Lee Yong-Ju majored in architecture in college and also has working experience as an architect.
  3. "Architecture 101" opened #1 at the South Korean box office during its March 23-25 opening weekend. The movie sold 565,020 tickets on 592 screens and accounted for 34.2% of all tickets sold that weekend.
  4. "Architecture 101" sold 4.1 million tickets in South Korea during its theatrical run.
  5. A limited edition "Architecture 101" DVD is released on September 19, 2012 in South Korea. The limited edition set comprises of 2 DVD's with bonus material including commentary (by director Lee Yong-Ju, Uhm Tae-Woong, Lee Je-Hoon and Bae Suzy) a making of segment, interviews and trailer. In addition a 328 page book is included as well as postcards of the four main actors.
  6. The house on Jeju Island that Seo-Yeon (Han Ga-In) hired Seung-Min (Uhm Tae-Woong) to rebuild was actually built specifically for the movie. After the movie, the owners planned to take down the temporary house and build a gallery and cafe named "Seo-Yeon's House". Due to the effects of Typhoon Bolaven in August, 2012, demolition of the house took place earlier than planned and was taken down September, 2012[1].
  7. Cafe "Seo-Yeon's House" opened on March 27, 2013. The cafe, which is remodeled from the home featured in the movie "Architecture 101," is located at 2975 Wimi-ri 1, Namwon-eup, Seogwipo-si, Jeju Island, South Korea. The cafe is open everyday from 10:30AM to 10:00PM. An opening ceremony was held on March 27, 2013 and actor Uhm Tae-Woong, actress Han Ga-In and director Lee Yong-Ju were in attendance.

Cast

Architecture 101-Uhm Tae-Woong.jpgArchitecture 101-Han Ga-In.jpgArchitecture 101-Lee Je-Hoon.jpgArchitecture 101-Bae Suzy.jpg
Uhm Tae-WoongHan Ga-InLee Je-HoonBae Suzy
Seung-MinSeo-YeonSeung-MinSeo-Yeon

Architecture 101-Jo Jung-Suk.jpgArchitecture 101-Yoo Yeon-Seok.jpg
Cho Jung-SeokYoo Yeon-Seok
NabddeuckyiJae-Wook

Additional Cast Members:

credit: Asianwiki

poster credit: Hancinema

Trailer
credit: Candyland's Treasure

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest facing

I just watched this movie and omg I'm in love :x
This movie is a must watch for those who love romantic film, OST is brilliant too.

• 1 year later...
Guest adikkeluangman

“Twenty” Is Outpacing Historical March Flicks “Friend” and “Introduction to Architecture” in Viewer Numbers
The film “Twenty,” starring Kim Woo Bin, Kang Ha Neul, and 2PM member Junho, has attracted over one million viewers within five days of its release.
“Twenty’s” record matches last year’s hit “Miss Granny” and is just one day behind the first-ever comedy film to break 10 million viewers, “Miracle in Cell No. 7,” which garnered 12,810,000 viewers in total.
twenty-introduction-to-architecture-chin

Moreover, “Twenty” hit the one million viewer milestone a day faster than “Friend” (2001), which holds the record for most viewers ever among films released in March, and three days faster than “Introduction to Architecture” (2012), another historical March flick.
Meanwhile, “Twenty” is a comedy that tells the story of three best friends played by Kim Woo Bin, Kang Ha Neul, and Junho as they experience their twenties together.
http://www.soompi.com/2015/03/29/twenty-is-outpacing-historical-march-flicks-friend-and-introduction-to-architecture-in-viewer-numbers/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kyung-jin

itemprop="name"Watch the movie that made Suzy everyone's first love, Architecture 101

by CoCo Kdrama on Fri, Apr 24, 2015

06_bHCqCh8.jpg

After news broke that Lee Min Ho is dating Suzy, many fans wanted to know more about her. Suzy is not only a talented singer, actress, and model, she is Korea's "it girl." She achieved the status as "the nation's first love" after appearing as the girl next door in the hit movie Architecture 101. Come see why everyone, including Lee Min Ho, is in love with Suzy by watching the sweet film about star-crossed lovers reunited again.

Synopsis 

When Lee Seung Min (Uhm Tae Woong) first met Yang Seo Yeon (Han Ga In) in an architecture class, he unwittingly set the foundation for a star-crossed love. Seventeen years later, Seo Yeon approaches Seung Min to build her dream house on Jeju Island. Despite his plans to marry Eun Chae (Go Joon Hee) and move to the U.S., he takes on the project, which brings Seung Min and Seo Yeon closer than ever. But with so much water under the bridge, is love still possible?

Source: http://www.dramafever.com/news/watch-the-movie-that-made-suzy-everyones-first-love-architecture-101/

• 3 months later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Seohyun talks about being offered Suzy's famous role in hit film 'Introduction to Architecture'

It's safe to say the box office hit 'Introduction to Architecture' was Suzy's breakout role in the film/drama industry. With the help of that film, her popularity soared not only among fans but the general public. But what if someone else had taken on that coveted role?

CMvDzB3U8AAwnVY.jpg

Girls' Generation's Seohyun was a guest during the filming for the upcoming episode of 'Radio Star' and she talked about receiving an offer for that same role at the time.

MC Kim Guk Jin said, "I heard that you almost took on Suzy's role."

Seohyun admitted that that was true, and she said, "I really wanted to do it." And that she can't help but be upset at her agency about the matter. But what is exact story behind why she couldn't take the role? You'll have to tune in to the episode airing later today to find out! 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2015/08/seohyun-talks-about-being-offered-suzys-famous-role-in-hit-film-introduction-to-architecture

Suzy, ‘Architecture 101’ is a film that named me ‘First Love of everyone’

by: Jin Kim , August 24, 2015

082406-1

Suzy, ‘Architecture 101’ is a film that named me ‘First Love of everyone’

An audience meeting with director Lee Yong-joo who directed a film ‘Architecture 101’ and main actress Bae Suzy was held on August 23.

The film ‘Architecture 101’ is a big box office hit which drew 4.1 million viewers for the first time as a Korean romantic film by creating retro fever and first love syndrome.

After screening, actress Bae Suzy appeared and said, “I watched ‘Architecture 101’ over 30 times. I watched it based on my play at the first time, but I could see the whole film itself at some time”.

Director Lee Yong-joo flashed back to the first meeting with Suzy, “All I knew about her was she was a member of miss A. She gave me a fresh impression by coming to the meeting in school uniform. I did not know she was nervous when filming early. She told me later she was nervous. She is strong”.

082406-2

The host, Sim Jae-myung, who is in charge of Myung Film, said, “She showed surprising concentration on shooting. This is a love story described by a man. Suzy animated the character of ‘twenties Seo-yeon’. Her acting in the scene of ‘Would you richard simmons off?” was amazing. How did you do so?”.

Suzy said, “I was immersed in ‘Seo-yeon’, so very shocked when I heard Seung-min’s lines. I think the audiences might have felt it”. She was asked, “What ‘Architecture 101’ means to you?” and answered, “I used to write that I want to play in a film. It was wonderful that I was cast in ‘Architecture 101’.  I really thank the film for enabling me to be referred as ‘First love of everyone’ and it is my honour”.

Meanwhile, ‘Exhibition of Myung Film’s entire works: Memories of Twenty’ will open at Myung Film Art Centre till September 16.

GET IT K Han Jihee Photo by Myung Film English Translation by Jin Kim

credit: http://www.getitk.com/suzy-architecture-101-is-a-film-that-named-me-first-love-of-everyone/?lang=en

Suzy, "I was shocked at Lee Je-hoon's scolding"
2015/08/23

photo626904.jpg

Actress Suzy mentioned something that happened while filming the movie "Architecture 101".
Suzy and director Lee Yong-joo had a moment of conversing with the audience after the screening of "Architecture 101" on the 23rd.

Suzy said, "When Lee Je-hoon shot the part where he said, 'get lost', I couldn't think. I was naturally engrossed in the role of Seo-yeon. I was quite shocked when he said that".
"Architecture 101" is a movie about Seung-min (Eom Tae-woong) building a house for Seo-yeon (Han Ga-in) when she appears 15 years later and asks him to. Suzy acted out Seo-yeon in the past and became the icon of 'first love'. "Architecture 101" was released in 2012.
Meanwhile, the Myeong Film Exhibition is an event where 36 movies the company has produced over the last 20 years is looked back on. There are various corners such as Actor's Day, Director's Weekend, and Critic's Choice with stars Song Kang-ho, Moon So-ri, Park Won-sang, Lee Je-hoon, Suzy, reviewer Jeong Seong-il, journalists Baek Eun-ha, Im Soo-rae, Boo Ji-young, Lim Sang-soo, Jeong Ji-yeong, Park Chan-ok, Kwon Chil-in and more until the 16th of September.

source: http://www.osen.co.kr/article/G1110231510
credit: http://www.hancinema.net/suzy-i-was-shocked-at-lee-je-hoon-s-scolding-85806.html

'Introduction to Architecture' PD reveals J.Y. Park made him promise Suzy would get at least 4 hours of sleep during filming
August 24, 2015

miss-A-Suzy-jy-park_1440426851_af_org.jp

The director of 'Introduction to Architecture' revealed that J.Y. Park set a condition for Suzy when she was cast in the movie!

The movie was a big reason why Suzy became the big star she is now. Suzy and the director of the movie had been invited to an Actor's Day event where the director revealed, "During the filming, Suzy had to carry out her girl group promotions as well. She would film all night and come to the movie set, and I think she had a harder time because of that. All I could do for her was to abide by JYP's conditions that Suzy would sleep for at least 4 hours. Suzy would be in a better condition after she slept, so she acted better."

Even though 4 hours isn't that long for sleep, it sure is nice for J.Y. Park to put in a clause like that for his artist!

credit: http://www.allkpop.com/article/2015/08/introduction-to-architecture-pd-reveals-jy-park-made-him-promise-suzy-would-get-at-least-4-hours-of-sleep-during-filming

Hello~

Thanks @pechumori for starting this thread. I dont know its really existed.thank you again. :)

Honestly, i watched this movie purely because i love the theme, since i also in architecture world and loving korean drama/(a few) movie, looks like i killed 2 birds with one stone when i'm watching this.hahahha

ucYbYdc.png

the maquettes

0ruWjNh.png

i like the idea using concrete blocks and wooden plank as shelves

First of all i've tried to digging all the architecture stuff which got my attention. The Firm, its really showed how the people living in their work, mostly we are architects pull all-nighter to finished all the stuffs before presentation, not because we are not working/preparing the stuffs beforehand, its because the unexpected things would coming up before the Day of presentation like revision in many aspects (design plan, structure, interior, exterior, materials, landscape, or even the sudden request from Client).

JAxiu7X.jpg

sleepless architect :D

You can see how tired face Uhm Tae Woong while he just finished his design's revision and slept over on the desk. Also, how Go Jun Hee keep her tooth brush set, its because they usually cannot get home when the heavy workload coming ahead. I usually working 10 hours a day (even i had to stayed over at office once a while) and yes i keep my toothbrush, snacks, even have changing clothes in my office.

I like the presentation scene, while UTW and GJH showed their design alternatives for Han Ga In's house. All the words from UTW seems so real for me, and i was LOL-ing when HGI asked him if he could speak human language.

For the romance, i think its good how the writer not let Uhm Tae Woong being waved completely and left his girlfriend just because his first love suddenly appeared, even she confessed that they had misunderstood back then. If the writer really made these, it'd become the flaw from my point of view.

P9lnerX.jpg

By the way, I really like the idea for second level for the house, she can have larger area for living on first level but also has her own room on second level along with rooftop patio facing the sea. I also had concern about HGI's request to make column-less to get larger view, because it'd caused a problem for the structure of the house and also limit about how large your site to be "floored" and it'd be major problem by the Law especially if the local Government wants each building to become green building in their area, and making second level is the best solution to keep another area still as a ground (un-built area).   

uplXnRU.jpg

Lastly, its a good movie for me, especially how they showed all the architecture stuffs. From UTW's character, he really logical yet a coward. Well, i said logical because if its destiny he could had her years ago, its just because both UTW and HGI didnt do anything and not so much in love to reach their love, though they are loving each other. When i said a coward, we could see when he just gave up after saw her crush with another man, and thinking that the woman hasnt any feeling for her just because one moment he saw her with someone intimately, he should've made up these misunderstand back then if he really like her and wants her as his woman. But, we can see he just let her go and not doing anything, thought he had low confidence than his rich sunbae. Well, your destiny is not just they already choosen for you, but also you must reach them too.

gomxgrI.jpg

beautiful design with void area between 2 main buildings, what a pity it remains un-built.

cr pics: kyunii88

@kyunii88, You're welcome and thank you so much for the review. I think it is one of the most credible and informative reviews that I have read about this movie so far, since you come from the field of architecture yourself.  You would know if UTW's life as an architect in the movie was presented correctly or with exaggerations, by merely comparing it with what you experience in the office and I thank you for sharing them here.

I have been seeing your name at the OMG drama thread. Did you watch this because of JJS? :D
Although he only had a short role in this movie, but several reviewers have noticed his outstanding performance. I will be posting those reviews in the future.

I have been busy and it's only now that I can update this thread. I hope you can check it when you have the time to know more about the movie. I will try my best to post them chronologically. ^^

Han Ga In to Return to the Big Screen

October 12, 2011

Han Ga In is returning to the big screen for the first time in seven years.

Han Ga In has been cast in the highly anticipated 2012 film, "Introduction To Architecture" along with Uhm Tae Woong, who will play the role of her lover.

On October 12, Han Ga In's agency representative Kim Hyo Jin stated on a phone interview with Newsen, "The decision for her casting in this movie was made yesterday. Talks about this movie have been going on for a while but after we met the director, we knew this was it."

"Introduction To Architecture" will be directed by Lee Yong Ju, who is a rising director in Chungmuro (Korea's Hollywood). The movie is about a male architecture student (Uhm Tae Woong) falling in love with a female music major (Han Ga In) when they first meet at an introduction to architecture class. They parted at first but later on, after Uhm Tae Woong becomes a real architect, Han Ga In comes to him as a client and they start their love story once again.

The role of the female student in "Introduction To Architecture" is a desirable role for any top female actresses. Therefore, Han Ga In is receiving much attention after her decision to be cast in the movie. Uhm Tae Woong, who is becoming a rising star in the variety show world, has been chosen for the male lead.

Han Ga In has also recently been perceived as a woman of loyalty for renewing her contract with her agency, J.One Plus Entertainment.

Representatives say, "Many people are giving their interest to this movie. We promise to make a great film with great acting for the fans."

Coming back with a movie instead of drama, Han Ga In's return is even more highly anticipated than before.

credit: http://zafirahoney.blogspot.com/2011/10/han-ga-in-to-return-to-big-screen.html

Han Ga-in joins Uhm Tae-woong in movie romance

by javabeans | October 12, 2011

hangain_30.jpg

Han Ga-in, from last year’s Bad Guy and also Mrs. Vampire Prosecutor (in real life, that is — no, the crime-investigation drama hasn’t taken a suddenly romantic turn), is picking a movie for her next project, her first in seven years. It’s called Introduction to Architecture, which you may recall recently cast Uhm Tae-woong as the male lead.

The two leads first meet in an Introduction to Architecture class at college — he’s an architecture major, she’s a music major — and fall in love. Some years later after the hero has become an architect, they reconnect when he takes on a new client, and who should walk in the door but his first love. Aw, I’m such a sap for these lovers-reunite-after-separation stories. There’s something so sweet about the idea that nothing’s really ever over, and that sometimes a love you thought was gone can come back in a natural, cyclical way.

Directing is Lee Yong-joo, who’s exploring a different kind of story after writing and directing the 2009 horror flick Possessed. At least let’s hope he is. I’d hate to settle in for a sentimental love story and then get surprised with ghosts and possessions.

Introduction to Architecture will begin shooting in December, and plans for a 2012 release.

Via Star News

credit: http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/10/han-ga-in-joins-uhm-tae-woong-in-movie-romance/

Stills from Uhm Tae-woong and Han Ga-in’s new film

by girlfriday | December 1, 2011

Architecture1.jpg

Here’s a first look at Han Ga-in and Uhm Tae-woong in their new romantic melo film, Introduction to Architecture, along with their younger counterparts, played by Suzy (Dream High) and Lee Jae-hoon (The Front Line). They actually did a pretty great job in casting for resemblance in the younger actors, to make the connection immediate, and not the usual case of oh, is that who he’s supposed to be?

The film is about an architect, played by Uhm Tae-woong, whose first love shows up one day to ask him to build her a house. She asks for her old house to be rebuilt — the one from her childhood, and the stills come from a scene where they go to Jeju Island to see the original house, and then memories of their youth come flooding back. The title comes from their first meeting as college students, in an Introduction to Architecture class, where the hero had promised to build the heroine a house one day. Aw, how cute.

If Suzy and Lee Jae-hoon can deliver on the flashback sequences (of which I’m assuming there are many, based on the story), it might be a sweet throwback kind of love story, like Winter Sonata minus all the amnesia-fauxcest-terminal-illness. At least I certainly hope so. Yeesh. I’m pretty sure if memory serves, there was an architect’s story buried under that other stuff, somewhere deep down.

Directing is PD Lee Yong-ju (Memories of Murder, Possessed). Introduction to Architecture is almost halfway through principal photography and plans to release early next year.

Architecture2.jpg

Via TV Report

credit: http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/12/stills-from-uhm-tae-woong-and-han-ga-ins-new-film/

Miss A’s beauty is spotted on the set of the movie ‘Architecture 101′

December 24, 2011

20111224_1324707629_55289600_1.jpg

Miss A’s Suzy recently released a picture of herself on the set of the movie Architecture 101. She appears in the movie as a teenage character played by actress Han Ga In.

The picture was posted on an online community site with the caption, “Suzy as a character in a movie.”

In the picture, Suzy, in a white turtle, a red coat, and a long curly hair, is putting on a cute look in the sun light, flaunting her pure, naive charm.

Netizens responded: “She looks really pure. “ “She’s awesome whatever she wears.” “She is absolutely beautiful.”

Suzy appears in Architecture 101 as a university student majoring Arts, who falls in love with a student majoring Architect.

credit:  http://en.korea.com/blog/enter/k-pop/miss-a’s-absolute-beauty-is-spotted-on-the-set-of-the-movie-architecture-101/

miss A’s Suzy Melts Hearts and Hands with Gifts

miss A’s Suzy Melts Hearts and Hands with Gifts

miss A’s Suzy gifted the crew of her debut movie, “Introduction to Architecture,” hand creams as a way to show her gratitude. Currently, Suzy is busy filming her scenes in Seoul, while other cast members are flying back and forth between Seoul and Jeju Island. The singer-actress hoped that her gift would melt the frozen hands of the dedicated, hard-working crew during the cold winter months of filming.

“Introduction to Architecture” also stars A-listers Uhm Tae Woong, Han Ga In and Lee Je Hoon. The movie is a love story between architect Seung Min (Uhm Tae Woong) and client Seo Yeon (Han Ga In). Years before, they met in college and fell in love. Fast forward to the present, they meet again when she visits his office as a client. Suzy and Lee Je Hoon will be playing the younger versions of the two main leads.

The movie started filming this past October and aims to premiere sometime within the first half of next year. 

463423.jpg

credit: http://www.soompi.com/2011/12/08/miss-as-suzy-showed-her-gratitude-to-crew-of-her-new-movie-with-gifts/

miss A’s Suzy Resembles…

468805.jpg

We’ve previously reported that miss A’s Suzy was cast as Han Ga In’s younger counterpart in the upcoming movie, “Introduction to Architecture,” along with Uhm Tae Woong and Lee Je Hoon. The movie is a love story between architect Seung Min (Uhm Tae Woong) and client Seo Yeon (Han Ga In). Years before, they met in college and fell in love. Fast forward to the present, they meet again when she visits his office as a client. Suzy and Lee Je Hoon play the college student versions of the two main leads.

Recently, photos titled “Suzy as Her Movie Character” surfaced various internet community sites. In the photos, Suzy wore a white turtleneck, layered with a maroon colored coat. With her long hair and light, fair complexion, Suzy displayed her pure and innocent beauty. In addition to Suzy, Han Ga In’s past photos as a high school student also piqued netizens’ interests. The actress had stirred a lot of attention with her beauty when she appeared on KBS “News Desk” several years ago.

Netizens commented, “Both have incredible innocent and pure charms. Suzy is perfect for Ha Ga In’s younger counterpart,” “High school student Suzy as a younger Han Ga In? They kind of do resemble each other,” and “Who looks prettier Han Ga In when she was a high school student or Suzy? They’re neck and neck, but I would have to give my vote to Suzy.”

credit:  http://www.soompi.com/2011/12/26/miss-as-suzy-resembles-1/

Miss A’s Suzy says, “A Kiss scene is the most memorable. I felt nervous”

January 12, 2012

20120111_1326287072_04341500_1.jpg

Miss A’s Suzy selected a kiss scene with Lee Je Hoon as the most memorable moment during filming the movie Architecture 101.

On the episode of SBS’s Midnight Entertainment TV that aired January 11, interview with the leads of Architecture 101 was broadcast.

Asked to choose the most memorable moment, the singer and actress replied, “That should be a kiss scene.”

When asked how the kiss scene was by Lee Je Hoon, she fessed up, “I felt really nervous, but have been keeping a good memory of it,” which caught the eye.

Next, asked how many years of age gap she would accept, Suzy replied, “I don’t care about the age as long as I love someone.” Her response made the questioner Um Tae Woong satisfied. The actor said, “Suzy is like a cousin, really cute.”

Interview with Han Ga In and Lee Je Hoon also made the section juicy.

credit: http://en.korea.com/blog/enter/tv/miss-a’s-suzy-says-“a-kiss-scene-is-the-most-memorable-i-felt-nervous”/

miss A’s Suzy Talks about Her Kiss Scene

474153.png474154.png

On yesterday’s episode of SBS’s “One Night of TV Entertainment,” miss A’s Suzy, along cast-mates Uhm Tae Woong, Han Ga In, and Lee Je Hoon – shared stories that happened during the filming of movie “Introduction to Architecture.” 

When asked which scene in the movie was most memorable for her, Suzy replied, “The kiss scene. I was very nervous about it, and it’s left a good memory.”

When Uhm Tae Woong noticed the awkward the vibe between Suzy and Lee Je Hoon afterwards, he jokingly added, “They act like they’re not close during these interviews, but next thing you know, they’re dating.” Le Je Hoon responded, “I have nothing to lose,” causing the four actors to burst into laughter.

During the interview, Suzy also confessed that she liked her nose the best out of all her facial features. She said, “While I’m a little embarrassed to say this in front of Han Ga In sunbaenim, I’m satisfied with my nose.”

miss A’s Suzy makes her movie debut with “Introduction to Architecture.” The movie is a love story between architect Seung Min (Uhm Tae Woong) and client Seo Yeon (Han Ga In). Years before, they met in college and fell in love. Fast forward to the present, they meet again when she visits his office as a client. Suzy and Lee Je Hoon play the college student versions of the two main leads. “Introduction to Architecture” will premiere this spring. 

credit: http://www.soompi.com/2012/01/12/miss-as-suzy-talks-about-her-kiss-scene/

Archived