Yay or nay? Showing which users flagged one another?

Guest Kerriganton

Guest Kerriganton

Anyone here think this type of change is a good idea?
A week ago, I just saw that you can see who flagged you and what not and I have a feeling this will lead to a "flag war" and huge tensions.

I think we should just remain anonymous with the whole flag/like/lol/awesome/etc. it's barely any incentive. I think it just dissuades people from using it if they like anonymity...sometimes less is more.

It has its pros and cons but knowing that you can be shown, I think it has made some users weary to press the flag button.

Nay! Like others have already said, this will create further animosity and provoke people easily. But I assume this is one of the solutions that Soompi has for the users who have complained about certain users who abuse the flagging system.

I did realize some people flag less when there's no good reason to flag. That's because other people could see and be like "wow this guy must not like that guy", "wow that guy is an oversensitive emo!", etc.
I'm still for it.
And not many people here are those who don't give a damn about openly fragging randomly around while people can see...
Cowards!
>:/

I've seen less flaggings going on in sections I regularly visit unless it's clearly related to obvious spam posts (good reason to flag).

Guest HERMIT

I'm for it. 
I just believe that it promotes accountability more than it does the prospect of inciting presumed 'flag wars'.

But it also requires some member re-education to go along with it.  As soomp! herself posted, the purposes/defined use for the flag function is:

Spam
- a topic or post that exists for the sole purpose of advertising another site, or doesn't relate to the post in any wayAbuse - sexually explicit, or otherwise abusing or attacking another person

So long as these purposes are properly defined, it requires members to be properly informed and prepared whether they plan to justifiably flag a post or vehemently defend the post for which they were flagged.  And to make it stick, the moderating team should be prepared and be able to properly warn users for frivolous flagging as well as frivolously defending flagged post (ie. retaliatory flagging).

In the end, I'm for it and just letting it ride to see how it goes.  Only time will tell how members will react and then we'll have our answer.  If it does result in an overexuberance in retaliatory flagging, then of course you consider rescinding the feature.  But my guess is that this isn't necessarily going to happen.

In any event, I don't think they should re-implement anonymity just on the belief that it won't work.  There's no harm in letting it go on a 'trial run' and see what the ramifications are.  If it seems that it does more benefit than harm to the forum and makes life easier for the moderating team, then you continue going on with it.  If it turns out it doesn't work out, then you can always change your mind.

Guest etchtglass_1

Yay. Serious yay.
Although it'll provoke some issues, I think it'll help people from mindlessly flagging things, etc. Also, it's fun to see who liked my posts :)

Yay, I all for it. It will not create any tension if people use the flag button correctly, this is the guide line :

1. Spam - a topic or post that exists for the sole purpose of advertising another site, or doesn't relate to the post in any way

2. Abuse - sexually explicit, or otherwise abusing or attacking another person

Guest xopo17

its a YAY, i agree to give name on flag/abuse/spam :) the reason is :

1. To prevent someone else to act like moderator, but in reality he/she is not the moderator, only just member.

2. To prevent someone else to give flag not based on sommpi rules. because based on my experience, on K-drama thread many people give flag just because they don't like the posting but the posting is still relevent to the thread.

3. To prevent someone else to give flag just for silly reason like Caps or korean article but with credit in it. Trust me, there is a person like that who give flag based on silly reason . (but on soompi rules never mention about caps and korean article are the reason to get flag)

4. To make someone else who give flag is more responsible and be aware of flag button. so they use the flag button with strong reason and also based on soompi rules , not just because they did not like the comment of that posting.

5. To make thread not full of Flag Contest. becoz if so many flag contest happen on that thread, usually many of us will be lazy not want to posting anymore becoz we will be affraid to get that flag becoz flag contest is often happen on that thread.

6. about flag war, i think many of member in here is smart already and grown up, so i don't think so will be a flag war. on k-drama thread, when the name of who give flag is known by us, untill now on k-drama thread there are not flag war on there. becoz (maybe) we just want to see who is the name, and all of the member who visited that thread could be judge whether is the flag is appropriate based on soompi rules or not. i mean: the name of give flag will be bad on that thread, becoz we know who is the person who always give flag that cause make that thread is uncomfortable. so the name of that id will be bad, but flag war is not really often happen on that thread.

that's all my opinion based on my experience who got many flag, before the name who give flag got published. but after the name who give flag got published, so my flag/spam got undo or erase by that person. :))

Guest YunRa1430270238

So far, I've flagged rude comments of others who were starting coupling wars. If they flag me back because I flagged their rudeness, so be it.

Guest bakane18

I say Yay and I'll tell you why.

That way if you are the one who gets flagged down. Then at least we can see the person who gave it out and then we can confront them on WHY they gave it out and discuss it from there. IF the other party DOESN'T comply then report to the Administrative team.

It's not cool when you get flagged for some insignificant thing OR something like they other party NOT agreeing with YOUR opinions. Matter of fact I JUST GOT FLAGGED for abuse and I really don't know why to tell you the truth.

Anyways, it's better for the community I think. I think it's time we crack down own those types of people anyway. So yeah, "YAY" for sure.

Guest nana544

I don't like what the New Soompi is doing either. I don't think it's necessary to see whether who likes or hate your post. I think that options should be deleted off the site. Please...Soompi!!!

lol, flag wars. If anything, I think it's made people flag for better reasons now. I say keep it public.

edit:
@Nana544 that's the thing. the flag option is NOT there for you to show that you disagree with someone else's opinion. it's there to prevent spam and flaming (abuse). people are misinterpreting the flag.

Archived