Can You Audition If You're Not Asian?

Guest drop

I'm not really positive which company I want to go for....Probably SM, YG, or JYP, but will they let you audition if you're not Asian?

I know for the SM Global auditions this year they said anyone, but it was kind of confusing if they actually meant anyone or just any Asian ethnicity (i.e. Chinese, Japanese...). I'm not even a little bit Asian...just English and Irish (you know, kind of pale with lots of freckles). I'm just wondering if anyone knows how that would affect my audition/chances.

I mean, I can speak some Korean (a good amount, I suppose, since any Korean person who hears me speak it is really surprised), so would they even consider it? I'm definitely going to try anyway.

And it's not awful if you're not really young, is it? Because I'm already almost 18...19 in Korea (since they count the age differently...).

Thanks so much to anyone that can help with this!

^________^

Guest Hitorijime

Firstly, YG has an african american trainee (so I've heard).

Auditioning is open to anyone. They're not going to kick you out or stop you from auditioning just because you aren't Asian. That's just discriminating against someone then. They do however prefer Asians (whichever company they are will vary).

With this said, they are looking for talent and if you have it, they will probably consider it. But you gotta amaze them (and this isn't just to nonAsians, but in general). Age isn't a huge deal, but it sometimes depends on what the company is looking for.

Try out anyways because there is nothing wrong with trying.

Guest Yukari

I'm white and I'm gonna audition too. Just need to prepare myself a bit more and slim down a bit. Oh and I'm your age.

Although they obviously prefer Asians (that's only normal since it's just a normal asian country), I don't think it will be a problem for them if you're really talented and if they like you. Good luck!

Guest smile-jw

You don't have to be asian to audition. Anyone can.

Its just that your chances of getting in are lower. It is an asian company afterall.

Just try out. Theres nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Guest appledapple

Firstly, YG has an african american trainee (so I've heard).

She's half Korean.

K industry is very image based. Non-Asians are a harder sell to an Asian fan. It's also gimmicky so hard to say the career of such a star would last and these companies would be investing a lot.

Amongst non-Asians, I believe caucasians have the best shot since they have a better chance of being seen as attractive by Korea's fanbase. Also, if you are slender your chances are also improved.

Non-Asians also may want to consider modeling or acting first. These are easier for non-asians to get into in Korea than the music industry.

Also, know at least a little of the language. It's a bit insulting if you're not trying to learn the language.

Ugly truths but truths from my experience.

Guest angel_cutie

like most companys say they "perfer" asians but they never said that they dont want them 100%.

i think you should just audition cuz you want to lol.

and 18/19 isnt that old^^ just cuz most are younger means you cant be a good.

but i think in korea,they base you on looks a lot..a bit more than talent but hey,talent can overcome looks

Guest Snakes10

I am not going to lie, just short and sweet

If you want to make it in Asia, you HAVE to have noticable Asian blood in you. There are no non-asian singers here (save for American Singers) that have ever made it. You can be half Asian though, a lot of half asians have made it (Insooni and Isak for example).

However, they do like non-asian models. A lot of the stores such as E-Mart, Lotte Mart, and Home Plus here in Korea do have a lot of American modellers. So you should try for modelling as opposed to singing in this case.

One of the major differences between Korea and America is that America is a mixing pot of ethnicy, Korea on the other hand, is not.

But you should still audition just have the experiance.

Guest muchacha

She's half Korean.

K industry is very image based. Non-Asians are a harder sell to an Asian fan. It's also gimmicky so hard to say the career of such a star would last and these companies would be investing a lot.

Amongst non-Asians, I believe caucasians have the best shot since they have a better chance of being seen as attractive by Korea's fanbase. Also, if you are slender your chances are also improved.

Non-Asians also may want to consider modeling or acting first. These are easier for non-asians to get into in Korea than the music industry.

Also, know at least a little of the language. It's a bit insulting if you're not trying to learn the language.

Ugly truths but truths from my experience.

mm. I don't think so, a source who works at YG has told me she is not korean at all.

She is rumored to be in a 5-6 member variety female group. which consists of one rapper.

And she is to fit that position. There is also another trainee, in that group who is not fully korean. (She may be half I dunno yet)

But for now, we're going to have to wait until YG announces it.

i really don't think they want non-asians....ppl still audition...but i've never seen any that make it...but im not sure...it's jus that i saw SM's old USA audition thing...an' it said ethnicity: asians(korean, chinese, japanese, thai..etc..) but audition anyways...u never kno

Guest appledapple

mm. I don't think so, a source who works at YG has told me she is not korean at all.

She is rumored to be in a 5-6 member variety female group. which consists of one rapper.

And she is to fit that position. There is also another trainee, in that group who is not fully korean. (She may be half I dunno yet)

But for now, we're going to have to wait until YG announces it.

My source told me there was a person who was half and half. The half and half person may be coming out as a solo or possibly already dropped in that case then.

Guest Tsubasa

Good Luck!

But not to be mean or anything. I think they want ASIANS or at least half.

Because they want to make Asians the next global stars. Since Non-Asians are too overated for example Britney Spears...etc.

All those American artists coming to countries in Asia and they're like on the News, magazines and everything. But when an Asian star comes to America for example not much people notice, mainly only Asians.

You can always try though =].

Fighting!

Guest EHNerJI

yeah, you can audition if you want.. but it's easier if you're asian..

e.g... if a white girl and a korean girl could sing equally well, equal beauty.. they'd most likely pick the korean one because it's just easier that way haha.. ? non-asians would probably have to work a little harder .. because i also see many things on SM or w/e saying like "Asian" .. even some filipino people are hesitant about auditioning.. but you can give it a try ^^

Guest addickshun

i'm not gonna lie to you or make you feel better

but the business would like to see some asian in you

most admires eurasians. good luck to you<3

Guest MangoStar

I'd say go ahead and audition. If they truly want someone talented, then they

would choose the most talented person. Most Japanese companies are becoming

more open towards those who aren't of Asian decent. Specifically Sony Music and

Toshiba EMI.

So, my advice would be to audition for a Japanese company first, since most

record labels with the exception of Pony Canyon, Victor's Entertainment, UFA and

Avex Trax are American owned, such as Sony Music, Toshiba, Def Jam etc.

Guest squeaky

sure, you can audition. but i noticed this thing in korea where they take pride in their culture and stuff and you know it exactly hasn't been known for a non-asian person to be famous by singing korean songs or acting. i actually have a deeper intake in this but i won't say it -zips mouth-

Guest shiawasebeam

i tried for sm via email once and i almost got to have a proper

audition. they told me they were going to consider letting me

have an audition, but they never emailed back >___<

good luck to you ^^

So, my advice would be to audition for a Japanese company first, since most

record labels with the exception of Pony Canyon, Victor's Entertainment, UFA and

Avex Trax are American owned, such as Sony Music, Toshiba, Def Jam etc.

avex trax works. well for it me it seems to be. not many foriegn people audition,

so they kind of take an interest there. i called them about an audition i did a year

ago and they told me it was hard to get in contact with me in australia, so they

told me to try again.

Guest angel_cutie

i tried for sm via email once and i almost got to have a proper

audition. they told me they were going to consider letting me

have an audition, but they never emailed back >___<

good luck to you ^^

avex trax works. well for it me it seems to be. not many foriegn people audition,

so they kind of take an interest there. i called them about an audition i did a year

ago and they told me it was hard to get in contact with me in australia, so they

told me to try again.

im just wondering how you auditioned for avex trax?did you talk to them on the phone or email??

Guest musicpoplove

actually, it realy says any "asians".

im pretty sure most entertainments will not pick non-asians unless you speak fluent korean, like those "non-asian" cacasian celebrites in korea, like Eva, jamila who appears in Mi-nuh-dul-ae-su-da. Theres white people who comes in korean dramas, but they all speak fluent korean.

unless you are one of those who are like daniel henny, half korean and half american, and dont speak korean, but understand a little.

Archived