No-salt Soy Sauce?

churasan

Does it exist?
I thought I might post this question since many in this forum are knowledgable about Asian food. My dad recently had a bypass surgery and the doctor said he needs to cut down on salty foods. Since we are Asian, it's really hard to elimate soy sauce in our dishes. I was told that there might be a sodium-free soy sauce out there, but the dietician forgot the brand name. I tried to do a search on the internet but didn't find anything.

I don't know about the flavor, but if such a thing exists it might be worth a try if it is better for our diet. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
Guest Danzo

If you look at the seasonings isle you can find different "salt free" herbal blends and spices. They bring out the flavor of food but don't have salt.

But if you want a salt free soy sauce, thats like asking for fat free butter. What you get instead is chemicals, not food.

Low sodium soy sauce and used sparingly ftw.

Guest AngelAngel

There's no such thing...it's like saying no-salt...salt! What is your usual diet that have so much sodium anyways? Your tongue is the best indicator of sodium, what is you think is too salty is too high in sodium for you. The problem is that most processed foods have a lot of sodium but other chemicals as well which masks the saltiness adn that's why people have too much sodium in their diet.

So besides low sodium soy sauce, using kosher salt instead of table salt for cooking also helps, kosher salt is less salty. Also Himalayan pink salt is even less salty...but a lot more expensive.

Guest nxtlvl

What is soy sauce without salt anyways?! Poo colored water?

(Sorry, I'm of no other help than this lame comment xP)

• 5 years later...
Guest squiptryx

Soy salt is not necessarily salty - the intended flavor profile is based on umami, not salt. It's only salty because the traditional process for creating it uses salt. http://hukumans.com/portfolio/soy-one/ is made with alcohol instead of salt, so no salt is added during processing, which presumably results in a lower sodium content. I've emailed the company to ask about the actual salt content, and to see if it's available in the states.

• 1 month later...

Soy sauce is always salty, i didn't hear about any with no salt. For cutting down extra salt from your daily routine you should try something else like salt less water because pure water is a necessary thing for life and purifiers with salt add extra salt in the water which is harmful.

• 2 months later...
Guest StephenKearney

I didn't know about that soy sauce is always salty. If you are looking for salt less soy sauce that it is available in market. It will not effect your teeth or over health.

• 4 months later...

Archived