Web Hosting : )

Guest friendgoo

Guest friendgoo

I haven't had the time to really find a good web hosting service until recently and I thought it was great because my final exams are almost over and I would have the entire summer to work on developing a website. But before I do that, I was wondering if anyone on Soompi can answer this pressing question for me...

Q: Let's say the hosting provider offers 30gb of disk space and you are currently running a forum. If a lot of members join (like this Soompi forum) and start to post like mad (like this Soompi forum), would my disk space usage go up? I already know that my bandwidth would inevitably increase, but I was wondering if it would also increase the usage of my disk space. Because wow, Soompi has like thousands and thousands of topics, posts, replies, etc. I was wondering if 30gb of space would be enough? No?

I was stuck between two hosts (for price reasons).

1. Host Department - They offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space for $3/month but I read some reviews and they were pretty horrible.

2. Web Hosting Buzz - They seem pretty good but they only offer 1000gb of transfer/month and 30gb of disk space ...

So I'd be greatful if someone out there who also runs a website or knows the answer to this question is willing to help : )

try 1and1.com

my family has almost 20 domains registered under them

and has like 5 packages signed with them...

from what i heard (from the techie side of my family)

they offer GREAT uptime, SPACE, bandwidth,

and they're also really really really affordable.

Guest friendgoo

Thanks! I checked them out just now and they do seem really reliable. But the space they offer is 10gb (compared to the 30gb at buzzhost) and I would gladly switch over to 1and1 if I knew the answer to my question, which is still there haha : ) Thanks for the info though!

Guest friendgoo

Oh cool! Thanks for the info. But do you think 30gb of disk space is enough to run a forum like this? I still want to know if having a forum with lots of topics and posts takes up disk space. : )

Guest nxtlvl

1and1.com probably has the best prices

but my brother used to have a domain under hostultra.com, and the service is really good. i'm not sure about prices though

you can also ask someone to host you, a lot of people host domains for free(i used to have someone host my domain for free :P)

Guest photodaisy

30 GB should be enough for starting out.

The bandwidth should be the thing to be concerned about. Soompi Forums probably takes a lot of bandwidth--a kajillion terabytes...LOL.

If your forum happens to grow and space is running out, purchase a dedicated server.

Soompi run on a dedicated server...I think. (It costs $700 a month, right?).

Bah, just getting this from my memory.

But yeah. Start out with that much and if it seriously grows, you can purchase a server. ;D

1. http://www.hostmonster.com -- 300GB of Space and 3000GB (3TB) of Bandwidth ($5.95/month)

2. http://www.bluehost.com -- 300GB of Space and 3000GB of Bandwidth ($6.95/month)

Guest Mikey

30 GB should be enough for starting out.

The bandwidth should be the thing to be concerned about. Soompi Forums probably takes a lot of bandwidth--a kajillion terabytes...LOL.

If your forum happens to grow and space is running out, purchase a dedicated server.

Soompi run on a dedicated server...I think. (It costs $700 a month, right?).

Bah, just getting this from my memory.

But yeah. Start out with that much and if it seriously grows, you can purchase a server. ;D

1. http://www.hostmonster.com -- 300GB of Space and 3000GB (3TB) of Bandwidth ($5.95/month)

2. http://www.bluehost.com -- 300GB of Space and 3000GB of Bandwidth ($6.95/month)

holy smokes, 300 gb of space and 3 tb!?

that's crazy for such a low price

Guest GO!zilla

^ i had the same with dreamhost for only 1 time fee of 15bux.

Go read pc mags, u'll fine lots of deals.

• 1 year later...
Guest jybaby

can someone advise me of a FREE and reliable webhost

i'm opening up an online shop

i have no idea about the size i require (gb, bandwidth stuff? lol)

so looking at these specifications what kind of webhost requirements would i require?

1) i'm concerned with the webhost letting me have flexibility over the design rather than those simple ones that give you a bunch of choices you choose from (i.e. background, font).

2) a site that that can hold a Q&A section for buyers to post quesitons

3) shopping cart. i know there are tons of free e-commerce webhosts out there but the designs are just not what i'm looking for. plus, they require you to pay for your own domain name.

4) my own domain name

5) able to display 100-200 pictures?

6) no ads

7) unlimited sub-domains!

i read on the internet somewhere that reliable webhosting services should not charge extra for sub-domains. =/

if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had the time to really find a good web hosting service until recently and I thought it was great because my final exams are almost over and I would have the entire summer to work on developing a website. But before I do that, I was wondering if anyone on Soompi can answer this pressing question for me...

Q: Let's say the hosting provider offers 30gb of disk space and you are currently running a forum. If a lot of members join (like this Soompi forum) and start to post like mad (like this Soompi forum), would my disk space usage go up? I already know that my bandwidth would inevitably increase, but I was wondering if it would also increase the usage of my disk space. Because wow, Soompi has like thousands and thousands of topics, posts, replies, etc. I was wondering if 30gb of space would be enough? No?

I was stuck between two hosts (for price reasons).

1. Host Department - They offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space for $3/month but I read some reviews and they were pretty horrible.

2. Web Hosting Buzz - They seem pretty good but they only offer 1000gb of transfer/month and 30gb of disk space ...

So I'd be greatful if someone out there who also runs a website or knows the answer to this question is willing to help : )

When you have a forum or any website that has a lot of traffic and interaction space will get used in the databases, storing images or files. 30GB for a large website would be enough, however, if you get traffic and as many posts as Soompi you will need to increase that.

holy smokes, 300 gb of space and 3 tb!?

that's crazy for such a low price

Stay away from them. My friend went with both of them and they kept having problems with them. Also you dont get a 'cpanel' that allows you more control of the site, and the file structure is different than a regular hosting site.

I have my own webserver that I rent out to a few people and have about 1TB in space. I am also on a dedicated line so no bandwidth limit to worry about. My bros site is on there right now (www.azkseries.com) and all of my fathers sites are on there as well.

Before deciding on a host. Ask where it is located, if it comes with cPanel, ask for a test file to download (1mb, 10mb and a 50mb as speeds will vary). I have found a few hosts in the past that offered awesome prices for what you get but the speed was horrid.

I download at about 2MB/sec from my site.

Guest xsunyoung

i'm trying to make a website for my dad's business. so i guess is should use 1and1.com? or how do you ask someone to host you? feel free to PM me as well~! thanks!

• 5 years later...

Archived