Going To The Tanning Salon For The First Time..

Guest sirce

Guest sirce

some questions..
I'm really pale. And I usually don't care, but with the summer coming up, I would totally stand out again (like last years).

And with pale, I mean not the glowing pale, more the sickly pale, because I always avoid the sun.

This year, I want to get the glowing pale. Or at least trying to be less pale. Without tanning in the hot sun.

So I wanted to go to the tanning salon and I did, but in the end all I did was ask questions. o.O

And I had some questions for the people who have indoor tanning experience.

The lady at the tanning salon said that in the first 2 weeks I have to come every couple of days and slowly build up time (first time for 8 minutes). And then maybe once a week or so to continue having the same color. Is this true?

I thought it was rather alot (and alot of money just for tanning).

Also, do you prepare yourself before going to the tanning salon? Like you scrub yourself or something.

And do you need sunscreen the first time? The lady told me not.

And what do you do with your face? Same sunscreen as your body?

How often do you go to the tanning salon?

Just to be clear, I want to be less pale and then stop going to the tanning salon. Is this a good idea or do you really lose your color really fast?

If you got tips, please tell me.

Thank you.:)

Guest muchacha

why don't you use those spray on tan things or lotion? Those moisterizers that make you darker or something like that..

Guest sirce

Huh? I alway thought you're supposed to tan naked. The lady said it's my own choice.

I don't use those moisterizers, because you get dark and lighter spots easily if you're not carefull.

Guest dalgyal

you can buy a package, so it won't be as expensive.

Also, do you prepare yourself before going to the tanning salon? Like you scrub yourself or something.

yes, its better if you exfoliate so you have nice smooth skin, and you will tan better. it will definately come out smoother and more even.

And do you need sunscreen the first time? The lady told me not.

no, you don't wear sunscreen. that would kind of defeat the purpose.

And what do you do with your face? Same sunscreen as your body?

i used the same tanning lotion (not sunscreen. u can get this lotion at the salon in one-time use packets or bottle) for my face. i think its ok if you do. but they do sell separate lotions for your face but its rather expensive if you add up all the costs.. so i think using the body lotion for body and face is fine.

How often do you go to the tanning salon?

i used to go every week to maintain my tan. if you want to build up your base tan quickly, you should go every other day. dont go in for too long the first couple times or you will get severely burnt. i say this from experience.. hahah. gl!

Guest deportedkorean

fyi, tanning salons are worse than tanning in the natural sun...high concentrations of UVA rays (which damage your skin ie give you wrinkles).

even one session at a tanning salon=4 hours in the natural sun.

i would rather get sunless tanning, a lot of them work really well (and a good few dont turn you orange).

Guest blisskiss

why don't you try those like, gradual tan-growing lotions? the ones that you put on everyday for a natural progression.

853283.JPG

That way, it won't be bad for your skin and you can have a tan at the same time.

Guest __In Lust`

^ yeh that really DOES work... it doesnt turn orange..

i got lazy of using itt.. i used it last year.. still have it >.<

Guest Sanura

Before you go tanning, try taking a vitamin D supplement. I used to be sickly pale and it turned out I wasn't getting enough vitamin D (I rarely ever get any sun exposure). My doctor told me to buy 1000-IU vitamin D supplements (from any health store). Now I'm a nice, healthy-looking pale.

If that's not for you, try sunless tanning. Jergen's Natural Glow and Olay's Touch of Sun lotions are getting a lot of great reviews. I know quite a few people that use them religiously, though I know others who've stopped using them because they eventually ended up flakey or streaky after long continued use.

I had a summer job at a tanning salon in Florida some years back, so here's some answers for your questions:

"The lady at the tanning salon said that in the first 2 weeks I have to come every couple of days and slowly build up time (first time for 8 minutes). And then maybe once a week or so to continue having the same color. Is this true?"

Yes, this is normal. The rays in the tanning beds are a lot stronger than the rays from the sun, so it's very easy to get "sunburnt". It's recommended that you do 8 minutes a few times before you start adding minutes so your skin can get used to the exposure and build up resistance. As someone mentioned before, you can buy packaged visits to save money.

"Also, do you prepare yourself before going to the tanning salon? Like you scrub yourself or something."

Some people do. It's not like a fake tan, where there's a chance you'll end up streaky or flakey. It's a personal preference, really. You're just going to slather yourself in sunblock/sunscreen/tanning lotion in the end.

"And do you need sunscreen the first time? The lady told me not."

If you don't apply sunscreen/sunblock, you should apply the tanning lotions specifically created for indoor tanning. They block many of the harmful rays, but still allow you to get a nice tan. They're sold at most (if not all) tanning salons.

"And what do you do with your face? Same sunscreen as your body?"

Many sunscreens/sunblocks/tanning lotions are safe to use on your face as well as your body, though they might be heavy and/or oily and you may end up breaking out. Try to find one that's oil-free or says it can be used on the face and body. It's recommended that you shower within an hour after tanning anyway, so I don't think it's something to really fuss about.

"How often do you go to the tanning salon?"

Normally, you're supposed to go three times a week to build up the tan, then once you achieve the tan you want, you go once a week to maintain it.

Guest emma007

Aren't tanning bed wrose for you than the sun because the UV rays are in higher concentrations?

I would suggest just laying outside for a short amount of time. That way you can also get vitamin D, which is important, and most people are deficient in.

Guest amarynthis

I realy suggest getting a good quality spray tan.. Don't go on tanning beds-they can be damaging to your skin.

Or just be sickly pale! It's always nice to be unique ;)

Guest *1004*

TANNING IS THE GREATEST!

1. there are special beds that only have the non harmful rays, aka the bronzing ones so you cant get skin cancer. they are called the super high pressure beds.

2. get an amplifier. the one i use is called spellbound and it smells amazing like ralph.

3. exfoliate before you go and make sure your skin is moisturized if you decide not to use an amplifier. you soak up the rays better this way.

4. i go every day or almost every day for the first week and then i go about once a week once i get a good base.

5. make sure the first couple of times you go, its for a very short period of time so you dont burn. this is key! you can slowly add minutes once you get a good base going.

6. i always wear sunscreen on my face. its a habit. i dont like my face getting really dark and i get a bit of color going out anyways.

7. i am really really pale and tanning is the only way i can get some color without burning. good luck!

Guest XTINE__

I've never tanned before, and I was thinking of doing so too this summer cause I'm naturally pale (I usually don't sun tan easy, even when in the sun for a long time -- i just sun burn!). I did the whole tanning moisterizer thing last year, and it got tiring and I got lazy. :P

But aren't there like alternatives to tanning beds at the professionals, like a spray or whatever, where you stand there and they spray you? Anyone ever tried this before??

Personally, I find tanning beds to freaky. HAHA, i'm not clausterphobic.. but.. still. LOL

Guest da hee

why don't you try those like, gradual tan-growing lotions? the ones that you put on everyday for a natural progression.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.americarx.com/ProductImages/baby/babyn/ne/853283.JPG

That way, it won't be bad for your skin and you can have a tan at the same time.

i have that product and it didn't work for me. =/ I waited for 2 weeks and kept on reapplying it. still, no results. oh well.

The best and cheapest way is just to go and hang out with friends. You'll tan up naturally without getting skin cancer because you're not under the sun for hours trying to tan yourself. And you're not wasting money. Do some car washes or go swimming or something. Lol. It'll be fun and you'll get a tan, hopefully? Or is it hard for you to get a tan? Iono.

Guest mistresstigress

I would never recommend tanning salons if you do it periodically. It is just unhealthy, try those spray tans. It last only for a day and you have to wash yourself at the end, but hey...it doesn't harm you. Try ebay?

Guest nanshi

But aren't there like alternatives to tanning beds at the professionals, like a spray or whatever, where you stand there and they spray you? Anyone ever tried this before??

haha. My friend in high school actually went to a tanning salon for their spray on tans and the spray got all drippy and left tanned STREAKS down her legs (where it dripped down). It was actually kinda funny cause it was about a week before prom... hehe. The things people do for some color. I've always wanted to go to a tanning salon just for the experience (I think working at one would be fun too!) but... can't really bring myself to spend the money!

Guest XTINE__

^ Dripping tanned streaks.. Eh, doesn't sound too... good. LOL

Well, I guess people are just unhappy with what they've got, and want what they don't have huh?

Meh, I'll just think of it this way, most asians wanna fair and I am! LOL

Archived