Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Replies

• mochikunmochikun Posts: 19Member

This is my little boy Mochi-kun (or just Mochi). He's about 10 months old and weighs approximately 12 lbs. Adopted him from a rescue a few months ago. He is my pride and joy :3

MythnoonAmusicsmylifecatcoffeeoooroosay
  • MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,761Member

SUPERSTAR

Threw some corn on the cob at my cat and it happily ate away at it.
    Is corn bad for cats?
  • whiteramenwhiteramen Posts: 4New Member
    edited November 2012
    mochikun said:

This is my little boy Mochi-kun (or just Mochi). He's about 10 months old and weighs approximately 12 lbs. Adopted him from a rescue a few months ago. He is my pride and joy :3

omg. im about to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. ok im dead.
    MythnoonA
  • Peace_UPPeace_UP BIGBANG VIP HawaiiPosts: 418Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited October 2012
    ^ O: They have such cute faces LOL.
    @mochikun Aww your puppy is so cute. :3
    @Mannosuke My cat goes nuts for corn and popcorn, but I'm pretty sure it's bad for them if you often feed them that since it's harder to digest. |: I think once in a while is alright though.

I'm so sad, my cat has been excessively sneezing for the last couple weeks and last night he started sneezing blood through one nostril. @_@ He keeps doing that so it looks like a murder scene wherever he sneezes blood. We took him to the vet today to do some tests. We'll see in a couple days if they can find anything. Dx I've had him for 18 years and he's my last childhood pet I grew up with, so hopefully it's nothing serious... T_T

glaiza_18Tea Anemonelee-chan
  • xyhae09xyhae09 PhilippinesPosts: 94Member
    here's my pretty Mocha~ 

• hearthealerhearthealer Canucks CityPosts: 983Member

IDOL

imageimageMy furbaby, Munich. Sorry for the large pics >.<
    Visit here for my minimally updated blog... T.T
    And join me on Twitter and Instagram :)

<3 Out of SUC but it's ok, keep reading the blog and much love and thanks for getting me to Round 2 <3
  • elysaajusshielysaajusshi Posts: 24Member
    i have hamsters ! lots of them :D 
    I blog about them in my blog. :3 with other topics like beauty, health, fitness, reviews etc etc
    please check it out and follow me as well ! :D
    I'll be updating consistently :D

catcoffee
  • ChoiJinChanChoiJinChan Posts: 559Member

IDOL

I've got 4 new puppies right now and they all act like a little kid. And yeah, a Labrador dog too but he's too wild. :)

catcoffee
  • juiceyboxjuiceybox Woodbridge, OntarioPosts: 997Member

IDOL

this is my puppy chloe, at 8 weeks old, the day i brought her home! image
    she resembles an eevee so much. LOL 
    Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    MythnoonAkupoxkupocatcoffee
  • kupoxkupokupoxkupo United KingdomPosts: 51Member

ROOKIE

I have a great dane. Her name is Tinkerbell LOL, she's 4 this week and she's practically the female Scooby Doo. They act exactly the same. She may be big but she's a big softie. :U

Please kindly read the signature rules.
  • bombb_bombb_ BOMbb_ california, usaPosts: 1,283Member
    what do you guys think it means to be a fan/lover of a specific dog breed? (or really any breed; i.e. i think i can say i understand the difference for being a cat fan vs. a dog fan--cats and dogs are wholly quite different..right? but i don't understand the difference from, say, loving a labrador versus a dalmatian.)

like, i've only ever owned chows--so i just naturally love chows for that reason. it just came to be that way. there isn't anything particularly different from breed to breed, right? i mean there is size and maybe if one needs/wants/can do more physical activity.

but in this day and age, we don't really need our dogs to like pull sleds and whatnot--they are our babies now (generally). i mean, yeah there is companion--mostly small dogs--and then protection--mostly big dogs.

but what about if that didn't matter? like it doesn't matter if your dog is big or small; like if you just have a dog to have a dog?

is it about aesthetics? does it mean you based it off looks/appearance alone? if so, what do you think that implies?

i feel conflicted. because my vet "friend" told me people only own chows because they are cute and furry. i felt offended. i didn't get a chow just because it's cute and furry. i got a chow because my family has always had chows. my mom made the decision--why? i'm not sure. i know she wanted an "asian" dog...i'm not sure exactly why though. i don't know what other breeds she thought of getting; i just know that once we got the first chow, all we ever got was chow. did my mom decide just because they are cute and furry? my mom has never really been a person to consider those sort of things, so i find it hard to think she did so with such intentions. but i suppose it is possible. maybe she chose it because they have unique purple tongues and are "asian."

anyhow, so i feel as though people see chow-owners as people how love the appearance alone.
    but isn't this true of every owner? like if we see a dog, we think it's cute, then we may likely adopt it, no? then that's based on appearance. you can't get to know the dog's personality unless you spend some time with it, right? (especially since attitudes can change based on care and attention given)

i love my chows' tongues, snouts, posture, fur, etc..but i love those things because i love chows. and i love chows because i've only every owned chows.
    if the souls/hearts of my chows were in another breed--i could very likely love that breed's characteristics too, right?

sorry for my bad articulation of my question and long post.
    i'm just curious as to others' take on this.
    f101fs.jpg2uhbtow.gif
    azurette
  • jaebumjaebum Posts: 83Member
    My dog's name is Kono. He's on my Avatar.
  • xxkorean_babiixxxxkorean_babiixx VAPosts: 223Member

ROOKIE

edited December 2012
    bombb_ said:
    what do you guys think it means to be a fan/lover of a specific dog breed? (or really any breed; i.e. i think i can say i understand the difference for being a cat fan vs. a dog fan--cats and dogs are wholly quite different..right? but i don't understand the difference from, say, loving a labrador versus a dalmatian.)

like, i've only ever owned chows--so i just naturally love chows for that reason. it just came to be that way. there isn't anything particularly different from breed to breed, right? i mean there is size and maybe if one needs/wants/can do more physical activity.

but in this day and age, we don't really need our dogs to like pull sleds and whatnot--they are our babies now (generally). i mean, yeah there is companion--mostly small dogs--and then protection--mostly big dogs.

but what about if that didn't matter? like it doesn't matter if your dog is big or small; like if you just have a dog to have a dog?

is it about aesthetics? does it mean you based it off looks/appearance alone? if so, what do you think that implies?

i feel conflicted. because my vet "friend" told me people only own chows because they are cute and furry. i felt offended. i didn't get a chow just because it's cute and furry. i got a chow because my family has always had chows. my mom made the decision--why? i'm not sure. i know she wanted an "asian" dog...i'm not sure exactly why though. i don't know what other breeds she thought of getting; i just know that once we got the first chow, all we ever got was chow. did my mom decide just because they are cute and furry? my mom has never really been a person to consider those sort of things, so i find it hard to think she did so with such intentions. but i suppose it is possible. maybe she chose it because they have unique purple tongues and are "asian."

anyhow, so i feel as though people see chow-owners as people how love the appearance alone.
    but isn't this true of every owner? like if we see a dog, we think it's cute, then we may likely adopt it, no? then that's based on appearance. you can't get to know the dog's personality unless you spend some time with it, right? (especially since attitudes can change based on care and attention given)

i love my chows' tongues, snouts, posture, fur, etc..but i love those things because i love chows. and i love chows because i've only every owned chows.
    if the souls/hearts of my chows were in another breed--i could very likely love that breed's characteristics too, right?

sorry for my bad articulation of my question and long post.
    i'm just curious as to others' take on this.
    For me and my family, we always look at both appearance and temperament; sometimes, one outweighs the other. Each dog has their own personality, but the breed has a general temperament. For example, I love Border Collies; I love their appearance, their temperament, etc. However, I could never own one because I don't lead the extremely active lifestyle that they need. 

Your first example compared a Lab vs. a Dalmatian. Those are two completely different dog breeds. Not only do they not look similar, but they have completely different temperaments. Dalmatians are energetic, protective, need strong leadership and exercise, and can easily become destructive and difficult to manage without proper training and socialization. On the other hand, there is a reason why Labs are the top family dog: friendly, loving, easy to train, very even-tempered, etc. So depending on what kind of dog you're willing to commit to for the rest of their life, you would choose between the two breeds. Appearance would be a secondary factor. Just because you like the way a dog looks doesn't mean you should just get that particular dog breed. Let me give you another example.

My family has raised Korean Jindos ever since I was a baby. They are heavily socialized and trained and raised indoors as part of the family. Jindos are a very primitive breed, so they can be quite independent and stubborn. However, many people either get a Jindo because it's a Korean breed or because they love how beautiful they look. Yet, they don't think about the commitment it takes to properly raise such a dog. Without proper training and socialization, Jindos can become very aggressive and hard to control. Even with heavy socialization, some Jindos remain very aloof and take a while to warm up to others. That's just how they are, and many people don't understand that. That's why a lot of Jindos are at shelters. 

So, your vet friend is right. A lot of people do get Chows because of their looks, especially as puppies. The only problem is that they do not honestly consider whether or not they can truly work with their temperament and like it. Chows are not Labradors. People need to learn to get past their initial desire of wanting a dog or puppy based on how pretty or cute it is; they have to also factor in temperament and personality. The care and attention given to a Chow can definitely shape it to be a better dog, but that will not make it a Labrador, a dog that has the complete opposite temperament from a Chow. 

I don't want to write too much, but that's my stance. :)
    MythnoonA
  • Tea AnemoneTea Anemone Posts: 43Member

ROOKIE

edited December 2012
    My cat is named Meow ;D

toomanyanemones.tumblr.com
    catcoffee
  • elysaajusshielysaajusshi Posts: 24Member
    edited December 2012
    I've currently got 20 hamsters :D Love them so much ~~ !
    check out my blog posts on them !!! comes with many hamster camwhores :P 
    please follow me for many more updates ! :D

• seth86seth86 Posts: 5New Member
    I've got a german shepherd dog. The best pet I've ever had.
  • ChanmieChanmie DreamlandPosts: 587Member

IDOL

Yesterday I just have to be so nice and give away my precious sweet pea a 1 yrs old yorkie to my friend. Dunno what I was thinking. Now I  miss her so much. She didn't stay with me that long but i grew to love her. It's horrible idea  to go back and ask for her back right? 
  • davidmandavidman Posts: 6Member
  • thisweekinkpopthisweekinkpop Posts: 6Member

ROOKIE

Two of my cats are named Yubin and Sunmi.  They are cute.  The end.
    This Week in Kpop is a weekly podcast where we discuss the week's news and music video releases.

Website
    **Subscribe to our podcast via iTunes**